Bullet Choice to Save the most Meat

My experience is absolutely limited to one Berger bullet, and I have heard so much bad said about it, but it has been great for me without fail for well over twenty deer, and several elk. A well placed shot as the one pictured above results in minimal meat damage. I absolutely hunt for meat, so when I find something that works I have a tendency to stick with it. I've shot elk out to 980, and deer at 625 all the way into less than 100 yards. Almost every time, I do remember one deer running around 50 yards, it's bang flop, and that includes critters at distance. No elk has gotten out of sight after being shot, and neither has a whitetail. Berger 7mm 195 grain EDL Elite Hunters at the mild velocity of 2960 out of my 28 Nosler have been fantastic. I can run them up to 3300 fps without pressure, but accuracy is absolutely best at the lower velocity. I shoot suppressed so recoil and noise are not an issue, and with the tamer load I'm guessing my barrel will last a bit longer, but I only shoot it at game so, it will probably outlast me anyway.
Let me see if I understand you correctly, "
My experience is absolutely limited to one Berger bullet,
" how is it that you are able to recycle the same bullet over and over? When I shoot Bergers and recover them, the copper is mangled half the lead is missing and if I shoot badlands they look like mushrooms. I need to know your secrets, I could save some money buying bullets if I can recycle mine like you do. 😁

Last year I shot a buck at about 65 yards with my 6.5CM. 85gr Hammer Hunter with just over 3400 fps at the muzzle. Bullet was a pass through, going through the far side shoulder. Zero bloodshot meat on that far side shoulder when we deboned that deer the next day. Quite literally ate right up to the hole.

I've shot 5 deer with Hammers now. In general, in my experience, it seems that Hammers turn internals to jelly while leaving very little bloodshot meat. Meat loss is way less than any of the cup and core bullets I've used on deer since the late 70s

Just my $0.02....
Well don't use the 125gn Winchester it trashed my doe at 103 yards

This was from my 6.5 creedmoor 24" barrel using Winchester whitetail at 103 yards. The heart was laying down in the chest cavity! So much waist!!!
The round clipped the leg.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 49
You sure waste a lot of meat shooting the neck low.

this was about SAVING meat

straight through the lungs would be a safer better shot.
I've never had to cut out meat from the shoulder that was blood shot/damaged from a neck shot… ymmv

Also never said this was the only shot I take.

I don't see a problem there. Big hole in ribs. Some blood shot on shoulder that will clean up. Bet it didn't run far.
It ran Ten yards…. I'm spoiled because I can use my 223 here last 4 were lazered at head/neck junction and they are just out like a light

Gday handskills
I totally agree.

Obviously shot placement is the biggest variable of all, but it's also the hardest variable to isolate.

Like you say, higher velocity impacts (above 2400fps for example) will start to show more bloodshot, and above 3000fps can really make a mess.

Punch ribs in and ribs out, and there is not going to be much waste regardless of the bullet used.

These days I am really liking the fragmenting 'lead free' bullets. Due to fragmentation, double lung shots kill very quickly, but here is something you'll not see with an expanding lead core bullet;

This shoulder took an impact at over 3000fps.

View attachment 520157

Cleaned up real nice.

View attachment 520168

Something traditional 'cup and core' bullets simply cannot do.

I feel we need to be careful when we generalize - not all monolithic (all copper) bullets are equal, just as not all lead core bullets are equal.

If anyone would like more info, please feel free to PM me - I hesitate to name the projectile used in this case due to fear of ridicule 🙃
Nice analogy if you add in caliber size that also has a bearing
Broadly the bigger the caliber the slower it can go & give the same results

I like this below mostly memtb 👍also as advancements are made we have shedding monos that can act like some frangible & yet still penetrate as a mono traits on the whole give so deer are no longer a pencil between the ribs & won't open till the 2nd lobe if then on small species with some shedding monos no they are opening like frangible
So the bar has shifted somewhat but I'm not going to try & convert you as your choices gives you insurance & one that I like the way you assess the needs to cover those bases dare I mention bandaids 🤪🤔na another day

It's difficult to argue that logic, especially with small game such as deer. Though, with a large deer and the only shot presented is a steep angling shot…..some of today's quite frangible bullets may not offer enough penetration to get to the vitals.

While the monos do take a bit longer to kill the animal. I'd prefer to use a bullet that is virtually guaranteed to reach/destroy vitals, than pass on a shot with a frangible bullet if adequate penetration is questionable!

A shot "not fired" because of possible inadequate penetration……is a guarantee that you will not be eating that animal! memtb
here's where a couple of the new monos are showing some good results
This 30 cal is around a 2500 impact & bangflop with a nice distance to spine of the permanent wound channel ( sorry for poor pictures )
6CC4CD39-7942-44F9-8155-6F8BDC6A5FB1.jpeg
E346402D-1825-4533-8B09-D498BF31DAD3.png

Let's also show the ugly part of shot placement issues when velocity is present this around 3500 impact
75EDA41F-78BD-46C9-92DA-65D00D319E51.jpeg
once again a mono & compared to my old favourite amax it's comparable damage @ that impact & bullet weight yet this mono will penetrate unlike the amax & yes we can plan to only hit / place the shot in the crease but I guarantee oneday the animal will move on the trigger squeeze or won't be 100% on the money the moment the trigger breaks
Yes crap happens so a pill that covers more bases is one that will get the meat in the freezer more often
Well how I look @ it from what I've seen

Cheers

I shot this 130 lb doe this morning at 403 yards with my 300 PRC with 245 Bergers. I wanted to see how much damage to the meat this would do compared to my 6.5 CM. Although most people would say this gun/bullet combo was overkill, it did minimal meat damage i would guess that this bullet had near 100% weight retention and I did not find any shrapnel. Most people would say that bigger bullets do more damage to the meat, but I have found that to be just the opposite. What are your thoughts on bullet size and saving meat?View attachment 519291
not much meat up there on a small deer lost some front leg and rib on the off side high shoulder would have taken some loin meat so not good neck shot might have been better, but you have meat to not ruin meat a big slow lead round like the 35 Whelan or 45/70 would be better but then range of target would need to be closer.

This was from my 6.5 creedmoor 24" barrel using Winchester whitetail at 103 yards. The heart was laying down in the chest cavity! So much waist!!!
The round clipped the leg.
Well don't use the 125gn Winchester it trashed my doe at 103 yards
I used factory Winchester 125g Deer Season XP to harvest a mature WT doe this year; high shoulder shot DRT ar 200Y.

1702383980365.jpeg

1702384042001.png

.45 cal 275g NSR Arrowhead Bullet SL Muzzle Loader 2600fps MV. 80-100 yds
Seemed like most of the flavor leaked out.
Nice blood trail.

WT Doe 1 of 2.jpg

200Y with 175 Matrix VLD out of my .270 AI. No, it is not a gut shot but rather a heart shot. I did not expect such a violent result, but it sure made an easy field dress work. 🤣
WT Doe 2 of 2.jpg

Use a shotgun with slugs if you are worried about meat loss. They will just punch a big hole and the animal will eventually bleed out.
Seriously, there are so many different variables and situations that you can't just pick an optimal bullet for minimal meat loss. Bullet design/construction, speed, distance, animal position POI, etc. Put any bullet through the pump room without hitting any bone, zero meat loss. Then people complain that the animal didn't immediately drop and they had to track it. Put any bullet through both shoulders, the animal drops but lots of bloodshot meat. Suggest a head shot? Time to grab your popcorn. 🍿
Choose a bullet that works the best in your rifle and go hunting. Potential meat loss is just part of the game.