Bullet Choice to Save the most Meat

This year I shot a nice eating spike at 10yrds. Pass-through with the ancient $0.17, 70g Speer, from a 16" AR topped with a green-dot Romeo, liquified the boiler room with zero meat damage, but left no blood trail in the 30 feet it ran...

I shot this 130 lb doe this morning at 403 yards with my 300 PRC with 245 Bergers. I wanted to see how much damage to the meat this would do compared to my 6.5 CM. Although most people would say this gun/bullet combo was overkill, it did minimal meat damage i would guess that this bullet had near 100% weight retention and I did not find any shrapnel. Most people would say that bigger bullets do more damage to the meat, but I have found that to be just the opposite. What are your thoughts on bullet size and saving meat?View attachment 519291
Curious if this was a 245 eol, or 245 lrht?

If you are strictly concerned about preservation of meat, Im a firm believer in the neck shot just forward of the shoulders. Ive killed a lot of deer that way since it was how I was raised and have never had one take a step. Caliber and bullet type are insignificant (mostly) in that scenario.

I like burgers for their accuracy, but I no longer use the hunting Vld I go with their target bullets, but I am a (bad boy)according to most people.
Before Berger made hunting bullets....
I killed 2 elk and several whitetails with ballistic tips....
With 180 gr.b.tips outa a 300 wm.
Chest/lung shots all..... Worked just fine....

If you are strictly concerned about preservation of meat, Im a firm believer in the neck shot just forward of the shoulders. Ive killed a lot of deer that way since it was how I was raised and have never had one take a step. Caliber and bullet type are insignificant (mostly) in that scenario.
You sure waste a lot of meat shooting the neck low.

this was about SAVING meat

straight through the lungs would be a safer better shot.

I've never really understood the logic there. I don't eat deer ribs. I want the deer to die as quickly as possible. There is no mono I know of that will kill as quickly as an expanding bullet. Unless you shoot them in the shoulder which defeats the purpose.

I've never really understood the logic there. I don't eat deer ribs. I want the deer to die as quickly as possible. There is no mono I know of that will kill as quickly as an expanding bullet. Unless you shoot them in the shoulder which defeats the purpose.

It's difficult to argue that logic, especially with small game such as deer. Though, with a large deer and the only shot presented is a steep angling shot…..some of today's quite frangible bullets may not offer enough penetration to get to the vitals.

While the monos do take a bit longer to kill the animal. I'd prefer to use a bullet that is virtually guaranteed to reach/destroy vitals, than pass on a shot with a frangible bullet if adequate penetration is questionable!

A shot "not fired" because of possible inadequate penetration……is a guarantee that you will not be eating that animal! memtb

Do you mean a fragmenting bullet rather than an expanding bullet? Barnes, Badlands, Nosler e tips, Hornady Cx, etc expand but don't fragment. Hammers and Cutting Edge monos fragment. I agree that I want that animal to die asap, and I don't eat deer ribs either. But I have had shots ricochet off bone when using lead core bullets, haven't had one do it with monos YET. A well placed shot is first and foremost to getting as much meat as possible from the animal, second comes from a bullet performing they way the hunter wants.

It's difficult to argue that logic, especially with small game such as deer. Though, with a large deer and the only shot presented is a steep angling shot…..some of today's quite frangible bullets may not offer enough penetration to get to the vitals.

While the monos do take a bit longer to kill the animal. I'd prefer to use a bullet that is virtually guaranteed to reach/destroy vitals, than pass on a shot with a frangible bullet if adequate penetration is questionable!

A shot "not fired" because of possible inadequate penetration……is a guarantee that you will not be eating that animal! memtb
I've never lost a deer with a nosler ballistic tip, eldx. I have shot them in last rib and found on opposite shoulder. In that case you get some meat loss. Everyones situation is different. We hunt a small property and I prefer the deer not run far.

IMG_8339.jpeg

This deer was shot in the ribs with a 140 gr BT going 3150 at close range. The fence is our property line. Beyond that fence is a steep ravine. Would have made recovery difficult for a 60 yo dude lol. Deer was dead when the bullet hit him, went 30 feet. With a mono I would have to shoot him in the shoulder to get the same results. As it was the near shoulder had some bloodshot meat but 3 days in an ice chest you couldnt tell.

I think it's more about bullet type and velocity than bullet size.

I totally agree.

Obviously shot placement is the biggest variable of all, but it's also the hardest variable to isolate.

Like you say, higher velocity impacts (above 2400fps for example) will start to show more bloodshot, and above 3000fps can really make a mess.

Punch ribs in and ribs out, and there is not going to be much waste regardless of the bullet used.

These days I am really liking the fragmenting 'lead free' bullets. Due to fragmentation, double lung shots kill very quickly, but here is something you'll not see with an expanding lead core bullet;

This shoulder took an impact at over 3000fps.

bloodshot shoulder.jpg

Cleaned up real nice.

cleans up nice.jpg

Something traditional 'cup and core' bullets simply cannot do.

I feel we need to be careful when we generalize - not all monolithic (all copper) bullets are equal, just as not all lead core bullets are equal.

If anyone would like more info, please feel free to PM me - I hesitate to name the projectile used in this case due to fear of ridicule 🙃