.338 bullet choice

klemm

Looking for a bullet suggestion for a 338 WinMag. Thinking of a berger 250 hybrid, but thought there might be something else worthwhile to look at. Gun will be used for Whitetail and Moose. Any thoughts.

A little would be dependent on magazine length, and if that's important to you.

I think the Hammer 213 is a good choice, In the .338 Winchester I prefer the 225's and under.

If you're set on the 250 Hybrids, I've got 5 unopened 100 count boxes, maybe a trade is possible, nothing wrong with them just moving another direction.

I went with 225 g TTSX's in my 338 win mag. They shoot really good, but I'm not expecting to take shots longer than 300 yards. I haven't shot anything with them yet. I expect they would do the job on anything on North America (except maybe big bears).

I have had excellent performance with ELD-X bullets in other calibers. I don't know why .338 would be any different.

I am thinking the 250 would be on the heavier side. I am already running 230 in a 300 win mag. I think a lighter bullet would give me a little more speed.

Looking for a bullet suggestion for a 338 WinMag. Thinking of a berger 250 hybrid, but thought there might be something else worthwhile to look at. Gun will be used for Whitetail and Moose. Any thoughts.

My wife has used Barnes 225's since '96....through all of the design changes. Presently using the TTSX's ( for quite a few years now), and has had great success. Big game, from antelope to moose...from 30 yards to a measured (after the shot) 400 yards. She loves her .338 WM, and hasn't asked me to load anything else for her rifle. You don't change what's working! memtb

I just built a 338 wm this spring and have been very impressed with the 230 eldx. Hopefully will Know how it preforms on big game this fall as a couple groundhog are all i shot so far.

if you're shooting that far, I'd steer away from the barnes, as reliable expansion speed will suffer at extended ranges. I ran the Hornady 250gr Interlock in my 338WM, but it kicked like hell. Killed very well too, but wouldn't have used it much past 4-500. If'n I were to take up the 338WM again, I reach right for the 230gr ELD-X and make em work. You're getting a lot of good things in that bullet. Great BC for teh weight, good weight for reasonable speed, good construction for long range work and close.

213g Hammer Hunter or the 236g Hammer Hunter. Either one will do the trick. I personally think the 213g is the perfect ratio of vel/bc for the 338wm. The 236g will give better weight and a bit more bc but will have a lesser muzzle vel.

These are pure hunting bullets and will always give good terminal performance with less meat damage. Accuracy is guaranteed.

Steve

I just built a 338 wm this spring and have been very impressed with the 230 eldx. Hopefully will Know how it preforms on big game this fall as a couple groundhog are all i shot so far.

Wow, where have I been? 230 ELDX... I asked for something from Berger in that range some years ago and the reply was that there are no plans for it. The 338 Win Mag may well be the perfect elk cartridge and the 225 gr. weight bullet tends to be optimal all the way out to mid range distances. I know... this is a long range site but I'm still old school enough to appreciate the sheer aptitude, as evidenced by history, of some of the more historically respected cartridges. It's to late now to dither with new loads but I'll have to check it out at some point. I don't have a brake on my Win Mag so this weight bullet should be right in the wheelhouse of a guy who want's a do-all bullet, assuming it shoots.

I have a friend with some 275 gr. Speers that he stocked up on, and are currently discontinued. He shoots them in his 338 Win Mag and he's done quite well with them. One of his mounts takes up a big piece of his living room. Good eat's too. Shot in front and bullet recovered at the hip. Don't underestimate a big thing, moving slow, and busting up every inch of animal along the way.

klemm, We're getting 2950 fps muzzle velocity, without obvious pressure signs.....loads developed in summer heat! I believe that the TTSX's should carry you to 600,I know that they work well at 400! Plus, you don't have to worry about a failure....up close and personal! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.