Build thread for PHPD1295

Update. UPS has the rifle and it should be here on Monday the 10th. I will post a pic as soon as I can and maybe after that Grit can post some of the pics he took of the final assembly process. I can't wait!:D

Last edited:
it has been awesome following the progress on the rifle through this thread. It's cool having a smith on the site who's willing to post the progression of a custom rifle build.

this is making me really want my own rifle back

It's here! :) I opened the box up and took a few quick pics so I can reveal Grizzly. They aren't the best pics but they will do for now until I can post some nice ones. The rifle is just what I was imagining. It's not flashy but the real beauty is in the attention to detail and the perfect fit and finish. The colors are perfect for hunting (subdued and flat) and the barrel is short and wont hit the inside of the blind when setting up for a shot.

Attachments

• final build1.jpg
    final build1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 79
  • final build2.jpg
    final build2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 74
  • final build3.jpg
    final build3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 72
@ tank,
The barrel is a M-40 contour. I am not sure right now what the end diameter is. It starts out at 1.200" and tapers to .900" at the muzzle. However, I had Grit cut the barrel short at 20" so the barrel is thicker than this. When I get home I will put some calipers on it to see what the end diameter is.

@ tank,
The barrel is a M-40 contour. I am not sure right now what the end diameter is. It starts out at 1.200" and tapers to .900" at the muzzle. However, I had Grit cut the barrel short at 20" so the barrel is thicker than this. When I get home I will put some calipers on it to see what the end diameter is.
It looked awfully heavy and thought it might be one of those barrels with the media wrapped by a sleeve.

Here's a photo and specs:
Cartridge: 308, throating for 168 - 175
Rem 700, trued, short action, left hand, threaded handle, fluted bolt, DPG knob.
Holland, pinned lug.
Manners T4-A, flat light tan.
Bartlein M40 at 20".
DPG brake, blended to barrel.
20 MOA rail, bedded to action. 8/40 action screws.
TPS rings, lapped.
BDL bottom metal.
KG deep flat black metal work.
KG flat light tan on bolt.

Attachments

• Bill Ryan .JPG
    Bill Ryan .JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 79
I made it to the range today and all I can say is wow! :D This rifle can shoot. I have never shot long range (300 yds+) but this thing makes me look like i can shoot out to 1,000 yds. The barrel was broken in after about 5 shots. The first group of three shots cleaning after each shot had two touching and one about 1/2" right. The groups really tightened up after about the 5th shot and the patches were coming out clean after about 3 patches.
Lorenzo, what altitude did you zero it in at? I am at 97' above sea level here in South Texas and my first three shots were grouped 3" low and about 1" left. I brought the scope up and fired all around the bulls.
After that I settled in to try for a group that I can show off here and not embarrass Lorenzo. The group is .23 at 100 yds using Federal 168 gn national match ammo.

Attachments

• break in first 3 shots.jpg
    break in first 3 shots.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 65
  • rezero 4 shots.jpg
    rezero 4 shots.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 92
  • first group at 100.jpg
    first group at 100.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.