1st build for youngster

mooretitan

I am looking to build/buy a rifle for my son. He is one the small side 45lbs but love to shoot and is getting pretty good with the 223/204. Both are light non lead reloads that lose a lot after 200 yards. I am looking for something that will be able to shoot well out to 500. The gun will only be used to punch paper and steel so weight is not a factor. I would like to shoot some of the heavier bullets to keep BC up past 200 yards. I was thinking maybe a 243 but I think that might be a little much unless I put a break on it. He shot the 260 today once and did ok but I won't let him shot it much. Don't want him developing bad habits. Anyways looking for something with the kick around a 223 but with a fast enough twist to shoot heavy BC bullets out to 500. Looking for great barrel life, accuracy and low recoil without a break if possible.

Thanks

Buy a used or new rifle in 223 with aHeavy barrle & fast twist 1-7or1-8 twist to shoot75or77 or 80 grain bullets then set up the stock so it's ajustable for you both ,above all keep it fun and enjoy your son,regards jjmp

Buy a used or new rifle in 223 with aHeavy barrle & fast twist 1-7or1-8 twist to shoot75or77 or 80 grain bullets then set up the stock so it's ajustable for you both ,above all keep it fun and enjoy your son,regards jjmp

Not much to add, some pretty good off the shelf rifles qualify. I've got the Tikka "Scout" model, and have seen the kids run a couple hundred rounds a day through it.

I am looking to build/buy a rifle for my son. He is one the small side 45lbs but love to shoot and is getting pretty good with the 223/204. Both are light non lead reloads that lose a lot after 200 yards. I am looking for something that will be able to shoot well out to 500. The gun will only be used to punch paper and steel so weight is not a factor. I would like to shoot some of the heavier bullets to keep BC up past 200 yards. I was thinking maybe a 243 but I think that might be a little much unless I put a break on it. He shot the 260 today once and did ok but I won't let him shot it much. Don't want him developing bad habits. Anyways looking for something with the kick around a 223 but with a fast enough twist to shoot heavy BC bullets out to 500. Looking for great barrel life, accuracy and low recoil without a break if possible.

Thanks
The .260 would be a great choice. Start off with light loads and light bullets and as he gets older you can move up.

You could also go with the .243 and do the same thing but the .260 has more to offer in the long run.

6.5x47L is another great choice.

+1 on the 6BR. Brass is available, recoil is negligible, bullets choice is large, and case capacity keeps the reloading economical. Hard to not like it. Down side is you need to reload. Store bought 6BR is never cheap.

My 2 cents.

rch

Simple. 6x45. 223 brass necked up to .243. I built one for the kids and its perfect. I shoot 90 and 95gr bullets at 2600fps out of a 16 inch tube. Great bc bullets and plenty for 500 yards. Taken quite a few deer with it. Fun little round and very easy to load for. Ammo can be purchased from several different places. Hope this help.

Just throwing this out there. There are factory loaded rounds for some calibers that are "reduced recoil" for all shooters that don't like the kick. I know its factory loaded ammo, but you can buy a standard caliber rifle, shoot the reduced recoil loads for now, and load it up as he gets older. I may not be providing anything that you've been looking at, but it may save you some serious $$. Don't quote me but I believe remmy even has reduced recoil loads for the .308 and 06'.

Best of Luck
Erik

Whatever you decide, I would get him a Limbsaver as well. If they don't offer one in the model of rifle you get, I would at least get a slip on Limbsaver.

I was a skinny kid also. I really appreciate my dad for taking me shooting so often. But man, looking back I would have loved to know about Limbsavers back then!

These days I keep slip on Limbsavers in Small Medium and Large around all the time... and they are pretty much used all the time. Women and kids can even shoot my Mosin or my 30-06's using those.

Thanks everyone. I have a friend with a 6tcu that I might see about shooting. If for some reason that doesn't work I might try a fast twist 223 and shoot some heavy BC bullets.
Thanks again for the input

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.