1st long range build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by magman44, Apr 26, 2009.

1. magman44

magman44 Member

I am building my first gun for long range I have a rem. 700 action that use to be a .300 win mag. I would to build something in the .284 class but have no idea what is good for long range please tell my a cal. and the rate of twist i should order all replys would be helpful
    Thanks,
    Nathan

P.S I was looking at the 7mm stw is that a good choice. gun)

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Go 7mm RUM. Good ballistics and all the juice you will need to push the 284 bullet. As far as twist, if you want to go with a heavier bullet a 1:9 or 1:8 should take care of your heavy bullet needs, unless you get into some custom bullets. If you don't want to burn that much powder, then go with the 7mm WSM. I have read a lot of good things about this caliber.

Have Fun,
    Tank

3. Sharpstick

Sharpstick Active Member

Plain old 7mag...I know, boring, but your action, bolt face & feed ramp are all ready for it and it has the perfect combination of recoil level and ability to launch a 168 or a 180 Berger to 1000+ and kill effectively IMO.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Stay with .300WM, more bullet selection, and your barrel will last longer. Good luck!

ADDED: Courtesy of JE Customs

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

7 Rem Mag ,or 7 STW. You don't need to jump up to the 7 RUM.
    I personally have the 7 STW
    The action you have will accomadate the 7 STW just fine.

6. TCKev

TCKev Well-Known Member

I agree with Sharpstick there's not to much you couldn't do with both of those bullet in North America. A 1:9 twist should stabilize both bullet's without a problem.

7. magman44

magman44 Member

I already have 2 300wm and 1 300 wby mag or I would. I dont have a .284 of a .338 cal bullet dou you think it would be better for me to go with the .338 for long range on deer and elk

8. cross

cross Well-Known Member

I'm going to jump on with these guys. 7mm Rem with 1:9 is a fantastic long range cartridge with minimal recoil. If you want a really long range gun (>1k) then I would probably opt for a 0.338.