Broadhead weight on carbon arrows?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Returning to crossbow hunting and have 16" and 20" carbon arrows, no longer able to get aluminium bolts here, and I only have 125g 3 blade broadheads.
My question:
What weight is necessary for carbon arrows? Is lighter better, or are 150g preferred?
TIA.

Cheers.

Depends more on the specs for your crossbow. Many require a minimum spine arrow and minimum grain broadhead. Then you have to ensure the bolt is stiff enough to handle a heavier head. I would start with your bows published specs and most bows are designed now for their own bolts and heads, which are normally 100 gr. Also important to verify what nock is required. Not all bows are designed for just any nock.

Thanks for the replies. Original nocks were flat, carbons have a recessed nock, they appear to fit well, but I only have experience with aluminium bolts of 16" length and 125g heads.
I think I should ask my archery store some questions.

Cheers.

Depends more on the specs for your crossbow. Many require a minimum spine arrow and minimum grain broadhead. Then you have to ensure the bolt is stiff enough to handle a heavier head. I would start with your bows published specs and most bows are designed now for their own bolts and heads, which are normally 100 gr. Also important to verify what nock is required. Not all bows are designed for just any nock.
I have noticed most places seem to only stock 100 gr. I shoot compound. And like a 125 & they are getting harder to find. So I have been stocking up when I do see them. Kind of like primers & other components these days. lol You definitely make a lot of sense with all these new crossbows they are coming out with these days. Some of these crossbows cost as much as a new custom rifle.

Last edited:
Getting with your local archery shop is a good start. And when talking crossbows, they are "bolts", not "arrows". When you find a stiff enough bolt (the proper spine for your crossbow), you should easily be able to shoot 100gr or 125's without issue. We always just shot the biggest cut mechanical we could find for our deer hunting. Just wanted bigger holes and to somewhat slow down that bolt to make it easier to find after exiting the deer or hog. Modern crossbows are so dang fast that they can easily push a giant mechanical through a deer.

Getting with your local archery shop is a good start. And when talking crossbows, they are "bolts", not "arrows". When you find a stiff enough bolt (the proper spine for your crossbow), you should easily be able to shoot 100gr or 125's without issue. We always just shot the biggest cut mechanical we could find for our deer hunting. Just wanted bigger holes and to somewhat slow down that bolt to make it easier to find after exiting the deer or hog. Modern crossbows are so dang fast that they can easily push a giant mechanical through a deer.
I bought arrows and changed them to bolts at 20" length.
The 16" were bought as is for the crossbow I have. It is old but I have changed the pull weight from 150lbs to 180lbs. The cams were easily changed. Had a new one piece string made also.

Cheers.

I have never heard of anyone cutting down arrows to "make" bolts. Not saying it's wrong, just never heard of it. You might want to talk to your archery shop guys first, before shooting those.

I have all the equipment to make any length arrow or bolt. I also make RC outrigger sponson shafts the same way.

Cheers

An arrow 1st must be splined properly for the pull weight of the bow/crossbow. Too stiff or too flimsy a shaft is not good. The longer the shaft, the more stiffness is required. There are tables to determine this.

Second, the arrow must be balanced. A target tip or broadhead weight that balances the arrow in the front 3rd of the shaft is the correct tip weight to choose for best aerodynamic performance. It's like choosing the correct barrel twist rate for a particular weight of bullet for best aerodynamics.

I have all the equipment to make any length arrow or bolt. I also make RC outrigger sponson shafts the same way.

Cheers
I do believe that bolts are constructed differently than arrow for a long bow, or cam bow. I never used them so I don't really know. Something tell me there is a difference. Can't put my finger on it presently. Arrows for cam bows are set up for your draw length and poundage. Me I have a 32 to 33 in draw length, and use 70lbs bow.