Which broadhead for Tac15?

Hi Twanger,
Try the following link and please let me know if you have trouble getting the video to show up or play. Like you, I never stop learning and gather new new information. Although I knew for years about the need to sharpen even the best broadheads straight out of the package, I found this video very helpful on laying out the best materials to get the job done.

Let me know what you think?

Sharpening the Snuffer SS.mp4 - YouTube

Regards,

Jon

Cool video Jon.
Looks like sharpening those heads is a breeze.
Of course, the big question is how do they shoot?

I dropped does 8 and 9 for the season on Saturday.
Steelhead XL is still doing it's thing.
With two O-ring bands, no sign of premature opening in flight.

Just bought a Tac15i tonight and like to know if the broadheads I was using on my old crossbow would work. I was using Barnett x Blades 125grain.

They flew nice and true for my other bow but not sure about this one or if the 125 grain is ok to use.

Hi Twanger,
I can't possibly compete with the number of deer you and your team take each year. You make me envious of the number of opportunities you get to be out there in great whether hunting areas that others would die for.

I can't tell you about numbers 8 or 9, but I can tell you about 8 points, number 1 and 2 that my brother and I took on opening morning with our vertical bows. In New York State our crossbow season is still tied to use only during the gun seasons, so it won't open until the second week of November this year.

That said, we each took down a nice 8 point buck within the first 2 hours of the season and not more than 150 yards from one another. I use the 3 blade G5 Stalker CS 100 fixed blade heads on Carbon Express Blue Streak arrows. I use a Mathews MR7 bow that I'm into my second season with. I use this bow for 3D competition shooting, so like my crossbow, I get a lot of mileage out of it.

The sharpening video I sent you is exactly what I use on all my broadheads, right out of the package.

I'll post some pictures of the two bucks in the next day or two once I get them off my camera and onto my machine.

Regards,

Jon

Hi LawShark,
Nobody can tell you in advance how the Barnett Broadheads are going to fly in advance for you. It depends on many factors, but in short, I'd recommend that you try them for yourself and then decide if you want to use anything else.

Just make sure you sharpen them well before going off into the woods to hunt.

Many of our members can provide recommendations if should decide these don't fly or perform well on your arrows and crossbow.

Regards,

Xbow755

Jon - every silver lining has it's cloud, as they say.
I give up huge amounts of my summer knocking on doors and lining up hunting permissions. Then there's management of the group itself. You get guys who don't want to work, or don't want to play by the rules, or even want to dig dirt on you so they can get by with shady crap without you saying anything. I've seen it all, and when I took over the group I cleaned house down to a small crew that I can trust completely.
The negatives are balanced by the camraderie of our hunts, feeding our family and friends, and the hungry, and the people in the neighborhood. And helping the deer believe it or not! They are in far, far better condition now that we are controlling the population.

So it's not all a bed of roses, there are pros and cons, but we do get all the deer we can stand to cut up.:D
Every pull of the trigger commits me to about 6 hours of work gutting, dragging, butchering, grinding... unless I give them away of course. So far I've kept only three in the first three weeks of the season, but it's feeling like a second job already.

I've become extremely deadly after having been tested by hundreds of deer, but fortunately the thrill of the hunt has never left me. I'd probably quit if it ever did.

I'd love to see the pictures of your deer. I love to hear about and see people's successes!

Hi Twanger,
I've been saying for the past year and a half, ever since we began exchanging information about these crossbows that you have more knowledge than most other crossbow owners and your experience has always shown a great knowledge of hunting experience.

I understand exactly what you mean about managing the organization and the amount of work that follows every kill. I don't use outside butchering services, so every time a deer goes down the work begins. The gutting, the drag out and then the hours of skinning and butchering work. I don't even use a band saw to do the meat cuts. I still butcher my deer with a series of knives and a butchers hacksaw. I guess you could say I'm very old school since I learned most of my skills as a kid from the generation that is now gone or to old to remember much of anything.

Although I say I'm envious of your ability to hunt as often as you do, I also understand the work that goes into into it all year long. Like you, I'm no stranger to the work, so I guess I didn't really think about it because I've never minded working hard for what I need to do.

Last, dishonesty is a sign of men without ethics or honor. Everybody was raised by their parents understanding the difference between right and wrong, so excuses don't cut it. If you find you can't trust those around you who claim to be your friends, then getting rid of them becomes your only choice. It's not a decision that you made, it's one they made when they decided to lie or do the wrong thing. They just get upset because they got caught! Low moral fiber is theirs to deal with.

Regards,

Jon

Just bought my first bow this fall. Because of a torn rotator cup I decided on the Tac 15i. I have installed all the recommended mods to increase accuracy. Shortened the Weaver Rail installed the HHA optimizer - Qua Drop Away arrow rest --Timney Trigger --Scope level. The bow is amazing at 60yards using standard Tac arrows with 100 grain T.Ps I can achieve 1 inch group. At 100 yard using those same 3 arrow always nocked the same way I can achieve a 3 inch group. However when I take those three arrows and spin on broad heads my accuracy is terrible. At 60 yards the recommended Phat Head 100's are 10in low and 10in to the right. Grim reapers another recommended broadhead are 10in low and 10in to the left. Even the ATOM by arrowdynamic solutions shoots 5in low and 3in to the left. I am tired of spending money on broadheads that clain TP accuracy however for me have not delivered. What am I doing wrong or are my expectations to high. Any suggesting greatly appreciated
Paul

Goodlumem

Sorry for your frustration!

But -- try to change your approach a little I never care much how different is the point of impact between target points and hunting points. I feel one must practise separately with broadheads. The goal is to have a handful of broadhead arrows that group well with each other, regardless of how close they group with target tipped arrows.

Maybe someone could chime in here and talk about "sorting broadhead arrows".

My $0.02 - I'll go on record for having said this - you'll never find a fixed blade broadhead that shoots to the same point of aim as your field-points.

I don't care what the manufacturers say. Sorry manufacturers.
I've tried a whole bunch of them with a Tac15 (and other bows) tuned by me and tuned professionally and they do not shoot with field-points.

However, the Rocket Steelhead XL 100gr mechanical does.
They shoot with FP's just fine out to eighty yards.
I'm now on my 13th deer with this head and the Tac15.
That's 13 one-shot kills. Every one a passthrough.
Admittedly ranges were all inside 25 yards. (Two at 25 yards).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.