Boot Suggestion

Danner Canadians...or anything Danner. I can literally put on a new pair of Danner boots and head into the backcountry with no fear of blisters. They have always been the most comfortable, dependable boats ever....for me at least...

personally, I don't like Kennetrecs because I cannot bring myself to mail order any footwear (no dealers around here), I have to try on a boot to be comfortable laying out big bucks.

To that end I bought 2 pair of Meindl's at Cabelas and in the last 3 years of hunts...No issues except replacement footbeds.

personally, I don't like Kennetrecs because I cannot bring myself to mail order any footwear (no dealers around here), I have to try on a boot to be comfortable laying out big bucks.

To that end I bought 2 pair of Meindl's at Cabelas and in the last 3 years of hunts...No issues except replacement footbeds.

I was reply #14 on this thread. I have no experience with Kennetrecs so I can't comment there but I do prefer 'trying on' to mail order. I presently live in Germany so I have all the EURO brands at my disposal (Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag, Salomon) to put my foot into and I have no complaints about any of them. They all serve their specific purpose. The few times I ordered a U.S. brand online to save a buck (Rockys, Irish Setters, Cabelas), I ended up returning the shoes for a size exchange. Pain in the butt when you need them like...NOW. They're good boots and work well under most circumstances, but in my opinion they're not yet in the same quality league as the EURO guys... :D

My main reason for the Meindl's versus another boot (that I could buy in person, not mail order) was I needed them NOW (3 years ago) as well for a NM hunt. I figured I'd have to 'break them in' at the expense of my sore feet. I was pleasantly suprised, no 'break in' needed. In fact, lacing them up and heading out for a local hike with my dog produced no sore feet/blisters, nothing.

I change out the footbeds yearly. They have been out west and up north countless times in 3 years with no issues.

I believe only the Danners are made here. The rest are made in some Pacific Rim country. I know Kennetrecs are Itallian and some of the stuff (other footwear in the Kennetrec catalog) are made in Taiwan.

Meindl's are decidedly German. Fine with me. I consider goods made in Germany to be quality.

I too have abused ankles (from years of playing hockey in high school and after) and the Meindl's provide good ankle support for sidehilling on hardscrabble. I never feel unsure in my footing and with the 'thinsulate' added, they are comfortable on my northern, dead of winter, whitetail hunts, than k goodness for Kuiu and Meindl.

I have the cabelas Mendel boots as well. Extrme perfect hunter or something like that. I'm very pleased with mine. Hunted Wyoming last year with them and plan to go back next year in the same pair

I have the cabelas Mendel boots as well. Extrme perfect hunter or something like that. I'm very pleased with mine. Hunted Wyoming last year with them and plan to go back next year in the same pair

Something like that. Weird spelling, good boots. I just did a independent survey sent to me on outdoor boots and I gave them 5 stars.

Thermostiefel Garmisch GTX

Don't know if they are available in the U.S. but I own a pair of Meindl Thermal Boots called Garmisch GTX. I bought them to replace my Kamik boots, which were beginning to show signs of wear and tear. As a result of a cold weather injury while on AD my feet get cold quickly, so I need quality and more quality. In these boots I can go for hours, whether on the move or in a stand. Waxed Nubuk leather, lambswool footbed, Goretex membrane; all that and comfortable from day one! :D

Last edited:
I use Lowa Zephyr GTX. They're a lightweight Gore Tex (waterproof and breathable) boot made in Germany. They're not cheap ($195 - 235 from Lapolicegear.com) but I stand by the cost and workmanship. If you want some extra stability in the mud, rocks and steep inclines/declines then Goat Head spikes are a good mod and a decent athletes foot powder will prevent chafing until your feet wear in. The UK issued afghan desert sock may also help you out - rugged, long lasting if a little too thick and warm. I use them when I'm hiking NZ and I'm so impressed I'll be buying a second pair of Zephyr GTX as a backup. Hope this helps!

Just ordered a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2's off shoebuy.com. cant find them anywhere for less than $229. did a bunch of research and these had serious high praise. I buy all my stuff off shoebuy for the most part cause they always have free shipping and returns and pretty regularly give 20-30% off. Long story short I got them for $172.49. Man I love a good deal. I already have a pair of meindls but they are seriously stiff and a bit on the heavy side. Not what I would consider a bowhunting or fair weather boot, AMAZING, but not necessary for all situations (even here in N. Idaho). Anyways hopefully this helps someone and hopefully I like the salomons as much as most reviewers do. And no I don't work for shoebuy haha
Best of luck, Nathan

Re: Boot Suggestion (MOULDABLE INSOLES!)

I recommend buying heat moldable insoles at Cabela's or REI. Stick 'wm in the oven as recommended, then in yer boots and stand in them with boots laced up for 5 minutes.

That system absolutely cured me of blisters when backpacking, summer or winter.

BTW, a fast way to break in leather or part leather boots is fill 'em with warm water, let stand 15 minutes, drain and put them on right away and walk in them for 2 hours. Repeat if necessary. Works every time for me.

Fit is key, everyone will be different. You see it a lot with cowboy boots as they don't have laces that can be cinched down. Proper socks and keeping your feet dry are next. Lightweight boots seem to give me fewer blisters and less fatigue at the end of a day.

You could also try attacking it from the other end if you are serious enough. Toughen up your feet. I used to go barefoot all summer on the gravel/rocks when I lived in TX was out in the creeks every day. Cam Hanes does the same, he posted a video where he runs every day in trail runners without socks. He said after the first two weeks or so he is blister free the rest of the season.

Just count me in as another Salomon QUEST 4D 2 GTX happy customer. They are great, and I have been through a ton of boots. Main terrain for me is the Colorado desert, from hot to cold, and very rugged rocky terrain, cactus, cholla , etc...

I'm going back out this closing weekend, pack and firearm at 40 lbs.

Have a GREAT THANKSGIVING, we are truly blessed being born in the old US of A.

Thank you Veterans for all you have given the American people, and God bless America.

I've never had issue one with my feet in Meindl's. I change out the footbeds every year. I confess I have tenderfeet so I swear by the Meindl's.

My second up would be Kennetrecks but I'm against mail ordering a boot. I need to try them on first hand....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts