Boot Suggestion

As stated before not all feet are the same. I have flat wide feet. In 1996 I bought my first set of Danners and to this day I still wear them exclusively. The 2 models I wear are the Super Rainforest in the winter for colder weather and the Quarry for summer. I do road construction and spend 10 to 12 hours a day in my Danners and never had a blister. A couple years ago during a wilderness hunt I packed in 9 miles with 90 lbs of camp gear. The next morning I was lucky enough to get a buck first thing in the morning about 2 miles from camp.
After boning the buck out and getting back to camp I had close to 200 lbs of camp and meat to pack out. By the end of the day I had well over 20 miles packing at least 90 lbs per trip. Not a blister one.
Just my 2 cents

Problems with boots can usually be traced to one of three sources.
1. Improper fit
2. Improper choice of socks or poorly fitting socks.
3. Under or over tightening the laces
No matter how much you spend on a pair of boots, if those issues aren't properly addressed they're gonna be uncomfortable.

They seem to fit well and definitely have good socks I oftne wander if I am over tightening my boots?

I know that you said you are looking for a light boot but have you thought about plastics. I would have to think that the terrain where you are might be similar to here in AK. I have used kenetrek, lowas, danners and etc. boots. They have all been great boots but decided to give plastics a try last year. They are little bit heavier but are by far the best boot I have ever used especially when it comes to being in the mountains. Koflach makes a nice boot(the liners used to be heat molded to your feet for a perfect fit, they don't do that anymore from my understanding) Lowa also has some nice boots as well. When it comes to hiking on the side of a mountain with a pack nothing (my opinion) beats a plastic boot.

My personal favorites for the last five years have been Asolo boots. I've worn them exclusively my last two tours in Afghanistan and been happy in both Summers and Winters there with them. I like the Asolo Fugitive the most, but also like my Power Matics for cold weather and heavy loads, and FSN 85s when I don't need Gore-Tex. Despite the reputation that Gore-Tex isn't a good idea in heat, my Fugitives have done just fine in every desert I've been in. The XCR Trail Shoe is the only Asolo I haven't care for. The Fugitive and FSN 85s didn't really need any break-in.

Lowa, Vasque, AKU, and Keen also make some good shoes/boots. Most of the Vasque, AKU, and Keen boots are of lighter construction than my Asolos. That helps with break-in, but not good if you are carrying heavy loads.

I wore Danners for my first eight years in the military, and they were far and above better than the issue boots. Stay away from their Combat Hiker model that was issued; they have a terrible reputation with those I know who had them for never breaking in.

I recommend the green SuperFeet insoles in boots meant for hard use, as well as good, 100% wool socks like those made by Smartwool.

Whatever boot you go for, save yourself some money:

Sierra Trading Post

Danner/LaCrosse boots clearance page

I've worn Asolo, bought through Sierra Trading Post, for over a decade now. Smartwool sox, Superfeet insoles. I've had some foot problems since last spring, and have been using custom insoles made for my ski boots. I'm going to have another pair made for my hiking/hunting boots.
Last fall I had a boot failure two days before heading into hunting camp. I've guided for over 30 years now and put a lot of miles on a pair of boots. I had to pick up new boots on my way to camp, so bought Kennetrek and wore them from the store to camp. Short story is I got along fine by not tightening the laces too much, and fortunately not hiking more than 5-6 miles a day for the first couple of days. No blisters, no problems. I think these are the most comfortable, best hunting/hiking boots I've had, but still have to customize the fit to make them just right.

I have three different pairs of Vasques that I wear for different temp/wet conditions. Of all the boots I've ever worn they break in the easiest and are very well made. I have horrible ankles too from decades of injuries and they offer enough support to keep me climbing even in rough mountain terrain.

I've worn Vasques for years. Year after year I would start the spring off at REI getting the all leather upper GoreTex Vasques then spend the summer climbing in and out of boats, climbing hills usually in the creek bottoms for work. Never had any complaints in the 7 or do pairs I owned. Last year went to REI and Vasque completely changed their line up. Got a comporake new model and it killed my feet. Revie s all have the same complaint of narrow tow box causing blisters, shoe laces breaking in a matter of weeks. Worst of all for me is my ankle. Last season on a backpacking deer hunt my ankle began to hurt it has to be something with the shape of the soil. I keep trying to make them work but 6 months later everytr I wear them my ankle gets to aching shamans lasts s week easy.

Used to love Vasques

You are getting a lot of feed back on boots- so I will go another direction: proper care of your feet. Keep them clean / dry- dry clean socks, etc. On long hikes / missions we used to change our socks as often as practical. Experiment with different kinds of socks, powders, mole-skin etc. There is no reason why a good pair of boots ought to give you blisters all the time.

Subscribed to this thread. i am interested to hear others opinions, last year i dropped $500 on a pair of whites that still give me blisters.

Im glad im not the only one who has problems finding a good boot.

I think i have to go more towards a pair of keens! i found myself wearing those more then anything last archery season.

I've owned several pair of Whites. Positively the worst hunting boots owned. Built like tanks, they're even heavier wet. Wet and frozen is just more of the same fun. I wore them for years and no matter how well broken in or changing fitting, the blisters resembles an extra toe on my feet. Almost disabling. The needs of a Wildland Firefighter are different than a hunter.

I have three different pairs of Vasques that I wear for different temp/wet conditions. Of all the boots I've ever worn they break in the easiest and are very well made. I have horrible ankles too from decades of injuries and they offer enough support to keep me climbing even in rough mountain terrain.

Same ankle problem here. I'm thinking the Euro mountaineering boots have it figured out. A thin sock (to add compression and tighten up the ankle area) and another good hunting sock (Darn Tuff socks) help. Ankle braces cut in.

I now have Kennetrek Mountain Extreme and they're working O.K. Good ankle support and quick break-in. The heel is a little sloppy though. 2nd season use seemed to get rid of a hot spot on the side. Anymore, I try to prevent blisters with moleskin on hot spots covering parts of my bit toes, little toes and heels before I put on my hunting boots. You can start a blister just by doing chores around camp so I get the moleskin on right after the tennis shoes come off and I keep extra in the pack. That's done more than anything to keep my mind off my sore feet.

I'm going to want a lighter, breathable warm weather boot for scouting in the summer.

I have had a number of foot issues. Been thru Russel's, Lowa's, Asolo's various Cabela's etc. Kenetreks were not not comfortable on my feet. I bought a pair of Schnee's Beartooths last summer and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever put on my feet. They have excellent ankle support and are working very well for me.

I had bad warranty luck with Cabelas brand on both my hunting boots and waders. I will never buy boots from them again. I had my best luck going to REI, having them measure me up and make recommendations. I ended up with a pair of Lowa Zephyrs and couldnt be happier. From the day I got them I never blistered. They have good traction even on wet rock. I havent used them yet on a mountain hunt but I have hunted up and down the ridges in SE, MN bow hunting which was very similar to the grade I hunted near Salida, CO but with more oxygen;) I hiked up and down those ridges chasing turkeys and deer. 4 seasons later they still are water tight when crossing a stream but I suspect if I stood there in the stream a while the water would eventually get in. Light weight, good support. When these go out on me I am getting another pair.

+1 for REI. I had a pair of Asolo where the sole separated from the shoe. I started to through them away, but decided to see if REI would do something since they were purchased from them. Long story short, they pulled up my purchase since I am a REI member and the purchase was seven years ago. They replaced with brand new shoes with no questions asked. Now that is customer service.

You are getting a lot of feed back on boots- so I will go another direction: proper care of your feet. Keep them clean / dry- dry clean socks, etc. On long hikes / missions we used to change our socks as often as practical. Experiment with different kinds of socks, powders, mole-skin etc. There is no reason why a good pair of boots ought to give you blisters all the time.

Big 10-4. You can prevent most all of your blisters by putting on some moleskin at home before you jump out of your vehicle and jet up and down some mountains. Some "good socks" get flat and hard like cardboard after drying out after one wearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.