Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Ive got a background in Trapping, Mountaineering, Skiing, Ice climbing, high Mtn and river bottom / canyon hunting. I used many different boots, Skis, snowshoes, crampons and Baers feet and fat socks over boots in sneaking situations in lower country when warm. Ive used Cabelas lately for light and warm weather boots in easy mtn areas. In steep country I have worn out most hunting boot brands, seen friends with Kenetreks that gave them up. Ive used and use Scarpa, Koflach, La Sportiva, and as for pacs, Ive given up on most, I only Use Hoffmans, Tougher by far than any Schnees made which I wore out fast for a few years, Better quality than Whites by far, and a selection of types like no where else. They cater to Loggers, Miners, Foresters, Hunters and really pay attention to many users needs. They are made in North Idaho. They have better bottoms and soles, better fit and supported tops and You can get them corked with removable corks and a tool for removal. They are really great in slick conditions. Like for snow over small logs fallen down on steep slopes, that make you go sliding on your tail are way less of a problem with corks in the North Idaho and Western MT regions that I hunt and have hunted, climbed for goats and high country mule deer in snow. Everyone has their own preferences, in my opinion, you get what you pay for in great boots in better hard core performance and durability. Use what works for you, but look at better quality when heading for high rough country. That's my 2 cents worth.

I can only say most boots today are junk. I personally wore out a pair of boots in 9 Days hunting Pheasants. I was told it was because I was walking through Grass, give me a break. I blame it on China & Quality of Materials. I can only say buy the best you can.

I just ordered a new pair of Scarpa Fuego's Firefighters use them. Mountaineering guides also. These boots, and most mountaineering type boots by the best makers are tougher than anyone's hunting boots with better attention to real foot needs in tough steep country. You get what you pay for generally, but way too much hype in hunting boots. Mountaineering is way tougher on boots than hunting. But to each their own.

I wear the Meindl Alaska Hunters. I think they are awesome boots, and fit my foot better than some of the other high end brands. I'm sure you've noticed most people swear one brand is better than another, but if I could offer one piece of advice about choosing the right boot, is go with what boot fits your foot the best. Not all size 10s are the same. Nothing will screw up a hunt faster than boots that don't fit correctly. I don't think you are going to be disappointed in your choice going with a boot like Scarpas, Lowa, Kennetrek, Meindl or any of the other boots mentioned, as long as you take the time to try them all out. On a side note, I hunted AK a few weeks back, and got caught in a rain storm coming out of the alpine. Going through that Muskeg once you get into the tree line is a mess, and my boots were drenched. My buddy was wearing a pair of Scarpa's, and he stayed dry...Might have been because he was also wearing rain pants, but I was impressed with a boot that stayed dry when every step you took, you were sinking 5" down in mud over 6 miles.

BearDog,

Good points, I have used Meindl, La-Sportivas also in the past, just prefer Scarpa's as tougher overall and fit "for Me".

I have a buddy that just returned from a great Alaska archery Moose hunt. He and all the guides were wearing Scarpa's. My last pair lasted almost 8 years, that's a record for me. I tear up most normal boots in 2 to 3 seasons, and Scarpa's are bombproof, very waterproof, and if you need tougher and lighter, for snow and steep rock, ice and snow, their Koflach plastic line is unbelievably tough, warm, light and comfortable. I have an old pair that is still going after 20 years and one resoling. I use Berghaus rubber rand gaiters on them also in snow and wet conditions/ stream crossings. they are waterproof to the height of the gaiters that way, if you fit tight on your upper calf below the knee and waterproof pants, you can go fast even up to your knees and stay dry. Its an old Mountaineering method that works great in hunting applications.

Does anyone know anything about Lowa Civetta Extreme Mountaineering Boot, I've come across a pair for a really good price, I had intended on a pair of kenetreks, after reading some posts mountaineering boots might be a better idea. Tried to attach a pic for reference but not having much luck

Most any mountaineering boots will be far better than all hunting labeled boots. Lowas are good, Ive had them, I just prefer the fits and durability of Scarpas and koflach. Hunting boots are mostly all hype and too much advertising. If you want a superb pack boot look up Hoffman's online. Nobody come close to them. Ive done plenty of Mountaineering and hard core trapping for a living, good boots pay for themselves. get the Lowas, you wont be sorry Im sure.

BearDog,
I use Berghaus rubber rand gaiters on them also in snow and wet conditions/ stream crossings. they are waterproof to the height of the gaiters that way, if you fit tight on your upper calf below the knee and waterproof pants, you can go fast even up to your knees and stay dry. Its an old Mountaineering method that works great in hunting applications.

Are they really this hard to put on?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ALdL-fUAOU&feature=endscreen&NR=1]RVOps Berghaus Yeti Gaiters - YouTube[/ame]

The old Berghaus gaiters I have are 19 year old, yetis are newer by far, mine were not that tough, but they were tough to put on. Now in wearing them in steep terrain, you need to know that if it is not tight, or glued on the toe, it will slip over the top of the toe in tough conditions where you use your toes to stick in the slope and go up. Mountaineering boots will do this fine, they are made for this. but in some very tough snow conditions with crust and heavy coarse grained snow, the toe will ride up over the top once in a while. So a tight fit is essential. But I tell you in wet and cold snowy conditions, unless you are using 6 to $700 mountaineering boots with built in gaiters like these, you will realize amazing waterproofness and warmth when using uninsulated boots with Rubber rand gaiters such as the Yetis. I hunt and have hunted in - 25 below and colder in Montana, up high on Mtns above treeline for Mtn Goats in late November. These gaiters will be a lifesaver in long day conditions such as those in tough rocky and ice slopes on high Mtns. I use them mostly on my 20 year old Koflach plastic lightweight Mountaineering boots. Lighter than any similar leather boot and far more durable. Amazing in the steep country for vertical or sidehill. Mountaineering boots have a smaller foorprint per size that all hunting boots, this give you better toe holds, side edging and overall foot control than the average wide " Plodding" footbeds on hunting boots. There is no comparison for foot control in steep and really tough country. I just bought a new pair of Scarpa Triolets for my high Mtn and steep work. Amazing boots and light, waterproof, can use the Rubber rand gaiters, crampons for high snow and ice. Lots of firefighters in the west like the Scarpas for that rough work also. they even hold up to the heat. I would like to see a new pair of the Yetis, they look very good. You will love R rand gaiters if you spend time in snow and wet conditions. Mountaineering technology has been around a long time. hunting boots are for the flatlands. That's my opinion when it gets high, snowy, icy and steep.

I can see the advantage in a gaiter like that. I'd hate to have to mess with it in the field however. I also see how a plastic boot would work well in the snow. Sidehill has always been tough in wet conditions. I hunt alone quite a bit and have found myself in steep, wet, snowy conditions around a lot of deadfall. I was sure I was going to break a leg that day. I quit hunting and focused on getting out safely. Some mountaineering savy would have come in handy.

Apparently what you mentioned about firefighters using mountaineering boots is quite common. Firefighters in my area use them as well.

Mike 338,

you will love them in wet conditions. Im headed out early in the am for the MT / ID divide north of I-90 a ways. Be up there until Sunday. If the wolves haven't sent all the critters away this past week, it could be good. The new Yetis look great. I'll have to check my best supplier in Bozeman, MT and look into them for my new Scarpas.

This guy elegantly explains that it's not that hard to fit this style of gaiter.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77THafJdBR8]Yeti Gaiters - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not to sure about these Yeti gaiters. Berghaus isn't in any hurry to sell them in any size other than Small and Medium. It's been a couple of months since I last checked on them and still no availability and it seems they've been unavailable for a long long time. Customer service won't even respond when asked about a date of re-stock. I'd hate to damage one of their products and need a replacement.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.