Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Its hard to beat a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I have couple different pairs with different insulation weights. Day changes what boot I wear and which weight sock. Have NEVER leaked but I also use either Cabelas or Danner boot oil goo stuff on them EVERY day i use them. I take along some latex gloves and old rag and put these all in grocery sack and treat them each night i get back from day or hunting in mountains.

After wearing out two pairs of Danner Acadias on the USMC 50,000 mile warranty, resoling them each two or three times, I absolutely swear by Danners.
I have since switched to different models, one insulated and one not, both waterproof (in theory, but I've never known ANY boots to be waterproof when I wear them).
I demand very aggressive soles and extreme comfort for the many, many miles I put on my feet every week, both at work and play.
I've tried Rocky, Bates, and many other names in boots, ranging in price from $75-300, and have never had a boot come close to the quality of Danners, with one exception - Carolinas.
I wear Carolina Steel toe Loggers for work, as the steel toe is required, and I haven't found a steel toe Danner. Yet.
But, that being said, I like the heel durability on the Carolinas - spike climbing a tree is murderous on boot heels (knocked one off halfway up the tree once...very unpleasant day), and these take the beating.
Also of note, when I'm fully geared up for either hunting or work, I weigh in just over 300# (my 275# self plus 30-50# of gear), and am beyond harsh on footwear.
No, not fat, just a big boy...and very hard on gear!
If you're not breaking things from time to time, you're not working/playing hard enough!

Hi quil. I have had simular experience with Danners. These guys touting Danner have never used them in steeps.I distroyed every pair I ever used within two days.I hunted the area you mentioned (little bridge)and it was too crowded for me.I hunt the Little Slate Crk,Midnight Mt.,Gardner mt. all the way up to Twisp Pass.Brutal and steep but seldom overrun with pumpkins like the Little Bridge.If you get up to 5700 ft before light and watch the saddles on opening day,you should be able to fill your tag.I have made shots of 700 yds on bedded bucks on sunny days but you need boots that will hold up.For the last ten yrs I have been using Asolo sasslongs.I have three pairs in various conditions.They are gortex but breath really well and have never gotten a blister or hot spot because of moisture.If you grease your feet with coconut oil and wear two pairs of socks,you need not tape your feet,either.Go to Asolo Sasslong Gore-Tex® Backpacking Boots (For Men) - Save 32% $169 . Note: These are all leather and nothing to melt and catch on fire if you get close to the campfire. Leather just is better for durability,too.I change boots daily and use a low energy drier so I never wear them more than every three days.If I am force to use one pair overnite, I use the drier when I come out. The gortex keeps them pretty dry but sweating isn't something that isn't going to happen when climbing verticle up a mile or more within 3 miles of the road. Ps.Thomson Ridge is like a major destination for half the methow valley on opening day.Down in the dnr sage brush is where the rest of the hunters are.The deer are buggy and full of parasites but ,if you don't mind spraying your trophy with raid before skinning him,you can get all you want.lol Give me high country and migrators everytime.I have never shot a muley with so much as a tick in +30yrs of hunting up there.Better tasting than alfalfa fed deer,too.The work is worth it and if you have to stow them in a ravine for a few days,its usually cold enough that they aren't going to spoil like they will down in the valley.luck,pcat

I have a pair of danner pronghorns. My first thought when I picked them up was how light they were. I have had them for five years now and would not trade them for anything.

I dont think you understood where I hunt.. No pumpkins where I go either. And like you I hunt at 6800 ft opening day. My partners and I have a spike camp on the ridge above Wolf creek. The south fork of Wolf creek is west of us. I have taken some nice Migratory s from up there. They are awesome!!! Yea like you said it is a pumpkin patch down on the road and mos those fellas never get more than a hundred yards from the road.
If you are familiar with the Bridge creek road then you must have seen our base camp called Owl Camp. It at about mile marker 5 on the left just past the gated spur road that ends at a helicopter landing. Drop in this season. We head up into the mountains on Thursday before the opening of the season.

If you want to see a pumpkin patch go to the Frost road Big buck unit.. Wow orange every where. But you know what if you dont have success up in the high country and dont want to eat a tag that place produces deer.. There are so many hunters there hiking with their rifles all you have to do is sit down and wait for them to push them to you.. I have taken 3 nice migratories out of there by just sitting and waiting so have my partners. We have take 5 deer out of there and been there 8 times...

I have only found ticks one time on deer I have taken in the high country. Like you said usually its not a problem.. My longest shot up there was 433 yards. Checked with a range finder.

Your spike camp is only a few miles from where I used to hunt on Abernathy ridge and slate lake area is only 1.5 miles from you.You have a good spot and not likely to see much competion from the road hunters.You are earning your deer the hard way and most can't get up there.I hunt these days north of winthrop in the chuwack,eight mile cr. I have been hunting with friends who have a little place on the chuwack about a mile from the forest service ranch at eightmile cr.road.It is 20 miles to where we jump off into the paysaten.Not as steep as where you hunt but still more than the road hunters want to do.I have seen few come out more than a mile and most never set and glass or even stay for a few hours.I can shoot 500' to 700' but for the last 3 seasons all my kills were under 200'.I have killed 5x5s the last 2 seasons.In 07 I got a 4x4.With no snow it is tough to bring them out so you have my admiration when you have to bring them down from that high.I would prefer the tobogan track over the dust trail,to follow down the mountain.I have some albums on picasa that I could send you an invite to see them if you send me your email.pcal

By far the most comfortable and best performing boot I've ever worn is the Zamberlan Steep GT. Just finished a climb of Kilimanjaro with them in March and they worked well all the way from the tropical jungle at 5,000 feet to over 19,000 feet with below 0 temps. This was a roundtrip climb of over 70 miles in 6 days and never had an issue.

They were also voted the best backpacking boot of 2010 by Backpacker Magazine.

Attachments

• P1000452.jpg
    P1000452.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 186
For my light, comfortable, everday, work, day hike, hang out in the woods boot I am curently on my third pair of Asolo 535. In over 50 years in the woods they are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They even beat my three pairs of White and Wesco's. My heavy mountain boot, now on my second pair is the La Sportiva Glacier. The are warm in the summer but waterproof and with a pair of gaiters dry in most hunting conditions. They take a while to break in, but my newest pair (two weeks old) are fitting nicely with only one hot spot on the first short hike.

Scarpa Vibrams for summer best i have found and light weight water proof gore-tex

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes will suit my hunting needs well. I really like the softer sole as they seem very stable and compliant on uneven, rocky surfaces. I've got around 18 hiking miles on mine and they remain comfy, even though they are not yet broken-in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.