Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

pathfinder82

Out in the back country while hiking around in search of the trophy ,What do you wear for Boots,or hikers ? I wore a pair of Merrals for 16 years up on the high cascade mountains un till last year they finally fell apart around the sole .So i would like to get another pair but would like to see what everyone else is wearing !

Early season I wear Asics wresteling shoes for stalking, or Danner hiking boots. Its easier to be quiet when the woods are dry as a popcorn fart.
Mid season I wear my old Hawthorn firefighting boots (the new Hawthorns suck) or Whites Packers if Im on a horse. When I used to work on the ranch Id wear my Olathe cowboy boots (Im pertty sure my spurs were permanently attached by some sort of weird growth) but the noise of the spurs and lack of ankle support put a stop to that pretty darn quick:D
And late season if its snowing and nasty I wear Whites snow pacs with Schnees liners. Ive found its the best cold weather combo for me. Aside from the wrestling shoes and hiker's all are greased with Obenaughs.
For me it all depends on the time of year, and the terrain I hunt. I dont have alot of $, but I buy the best I can afford because they last, and are dependable, even with what I put em thru.
Wow. That was alot longer winded than I planned. Sorry.

Lowa sheep hunters for cold weather

Kenetreks and Meindls for summer and fall.

These are a pretty serious back country style boot. So it really depends on what you intend to be doing in them.

I always wore my Merrals for early hunts up high on the Cascades, And then i have Danner pronghorns for just plain ol' hunting like when it rains or what not ! But For serious weather i us Danner Canadians and Sorals pac boot, and to throw around in the mix i have Danner Matterhorns also ... but i very seldom wear them.Oh ,,and i still have a couple of Leg boots that i had in the Army that i never wear anymore !:rolleyes:

White's Smokejumpers with 10" tops and the celastic toe cap when ever I'm in the woods and the snows not too deep. Combined with Rhoner Trekker socks they are pretty hard to beat. When the snow starts to get deep I've got White's Pacs that go on.

Kenetrek. Best boot I have ever worn, and I have tried alot. I wear the uninsulated ones. Would like to get the insulated ones for when it is really cold.

You have to be willing to spend $350.

Steve

I get all my boots from Cabelas..the best boot is made in Germany called MEINDL.
They just dont die...I have a lot of damage to my rt foot and this boot has never damaged my
Graft they are like slippers, my Insurance co buys them for me....I even use them in winter and my feet never get cold. never had a blister too!

Lowa banff pro. So far these are my favorite. I don't use the gortex lined boots since they make my feet sweat too much when hiking. I treat the leather with a good water repellant and have had no problems even in snow.

Gordon

The April/May issue of Eastman's Hunting Journal did a great review on boots (starts on page 50). The mfg's. covered were: Cabela's/Meindl, Hanwag, Kenetrek, La Sportiva, Lowa, Scarpa & Zamberlan. It went into a lot of detail regarding different materials used, along with pros & cons on each. It covered weight, waterproofing, midsole, insulation & price. Ratings were given for Comfort & Fit; Break-in Required; Design; and Durability. There were no good boots vs. poor boots. Some excelled in certain areas, while others brought unique abilities of there own.

Bottom line: if your looking at boots north of $300 - you are probably getting a top quality boot. At that point, it all comes down to intended use, fit & personal preference. Meindl, Schnees, Kenetrek and Hanwag are fantastic boots that I have had personal experience with - so I can recommend them. These are serious boots for high alpine type hunts. Prowl around on the internet and be patient. My current boot is the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme that I picked up on close-out on the internet for a little over $200!

For my summer jaunts in the AZ desert, I use an uninsulated pair of military Belleville's. I would love a pair of Meindl's Desert Fox - but they are not sold in the US. You can find them on eBay in the UK, but you end up spending more on shipping than on the boot itself.

Good luck in your quest.

These probably do not compare with some mentioned on this thread. But I am so satisfies I waned to comment. I just ordered my second pair of Cabela's "White Tail Exreme's" They come in Camo or brown. They are 1200 gr thinsulate, Gortex, and sentlock. I have never spent big bucks on boots, maybe I should :rolleyes:, but for $165 these are the lightest, warmest, most comfortable boot I have ever owned. I got two years of hard wear out of them and found myself wearing them to work in too. They are just that light and comfortable.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0026668.shtml

Jeff

I get all my boots from Cabelas..the best boot is made in Germany called MEINDL.
They just dont die...I have a lot of damage to my rt foot and this boot has never damaged my
Graft they are like slippers, my Insurance co buys them for me....I even use them in winter and my feet never get cold. never had a blister too!

my ankle has been rebuilt alot.do they have good ankle support?

i use danner ft lewis uninsulated.i looked at cabelas but they dont have very many tall uninsulated boots.i white snow pacs for real cold weather.i just cant see buying a pair of boots that wont get used

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.