Bolt closes tightly

I own a Larry Willis die.

I believe the concept is to resize any bulge that occurs just above the belt.
They claim reloading dies don't do this.

I wonder what percentage of magnum cartridges use one.

I own a Larry Willis die.

I believe the concept is to resize any bulge that occurs just above the belt.
They claim reloading dies don't do this.

I wonder what percentage of magnum cartridges use one.
Yep that's what they do and I have never had to use them, I've ran a ton of hot loads and never had a bulge

I've reloaded Win brass 10 times over (100 pieces of brass 10 times) in a 264wm and never had an issue. The brass was from the late '70s. All of my reloads we're at or close too max pressure according to Sierra #5 using imr4831 with 140spbt. I am no means stating you're wrong, just crazy infomaniac. You might be on too something! Maybe the OP will post pics of the ammo and fired brass? I use a "straight edge" too check any problematic ammo/cases.
2.197 too 2.224 looks like 27 thousandths not .007 something doesn't look wright or am I reading that wrong

Blacktail808 has probably identified your problem. Flull length sizing dies do not size the case just above the belt. If it exceeds 0.512 inches this is probably the problem.

I had the same problem with 300 Weatherby cases and the Innovative Technologies die solved the problem. The die is not cheep ($119.99) but will work with a number of belted cases.

Bob

Just a little FYI...you are dealing with a belted magnum...bumping your shoulders by .001-.002 is a good start but using a datum gauge off of a belted mag is almost impossible to do since many will vary up to .007... If you are using a standard full length die or a bushing die in full length or whatever it may be and you just keep shoving them shoulders back and make no progress it's simple that's not the issue....You need to run a collet style Larry Willis Technology belted mag die to reset the belt area...If you do not use one of these you won't ever fix your problem and many guys don't know this trick due to thinking that, "well you need to bump them shoulders back more"...Once you find out there .015 back and your die is caming over and you bust a die then buy yourself a collet die to fix all your problems....
I wonder if that is the issue with my 257wby, was trying to bump shoulders and no matter how much I screwed the die down the measurement didn't change. Cases were firm to close in action as well. The result of some probably too hot loads with 100g tsx.

And hello neighbor.

I think we have some confusion going on in this thread….

The symptom for cbtd too long is bolt hard to close until case is sized some amount below the fired case cbtd….let's say 0.002-0.005".

The symptom for base head expansion is clickers(hard to open) on a full length sized case…even 0.006" short in cbtd.

There is also a different feel opening the bolt.

The solution for clickers is a die that sizes as much as possible at the base without breaking the die on the harder thicker case head….and having a chamber slightly oversized at the base to allow the die and spring back to work.

The collet die is a solution for a chamber/die mismatch where clickers are inevitable and a $150 die is cheaper/lower risk than a rechamber.

The solution for bolt hard to close is to shorten CBTD until it closes easily.

I think we have some confusion going on in this thread….

The symptom for cbtd too long is bolt hard to close until case is sized some amount below the fired case cbtd….let's say 0.002-0.005".

The symptom for base head expansion is clickers(hard to open) on a full length sized case…even 0.006" short in cbtd.

There is also a different feel opening the bolt.

The solution for clickers is a die that sizes as much as possible at the base without breaking the die on the harder thicker case head….and having a chamber slightly oversized at the base to allow the die and spring back to work.

The collet die is a solution for a chamber/die mismatch where clickers are inevitable and a $150 die is cheaper/lower risk than a rechamber.

The solution for bolt hard to close is to shorten CBTD until it closes easily.
ShoNuff