Big Problem

I have seen some factory triggers that had a heavy oil like rust prevenative inside the trigger housing. When warm, you do not know its there, when it gets cold, it stiffens up and makes the trigger movement sluggish. Sometimes just enough to get results like you are seeing now. You may want to disassemble the trigger and make sure the inner assembly wall surfaces are free of this crud.

Spraying it with solvent will not cut it, it needs to be physically removed with a brush in most cases. May be worth a look anyway.

If that does not work, replacing the trigger with a quality aftermarket trigger is probably the best bet.

Kirby Allen(50)

I looked at a new trigger this afternoon and then compared it to a Jewell and I also now see that the bolt stop lever is also too short. Perhaps they have changed the distances in the very newest rifles from Remington, but the one I've got here will definitely not work with a Jewell or even a standard RB.

Also talked to 7mmrhb about these triggers today and he informed me that the reason this trigger fails is because the sear spring contracts when it gets cold and causes the pre-adjustment engagement done in warm weather to fail. In every instance I have heard of this trigger failing, it has been below freezing.

I charge $265 for a Jewell installed and tuned.

I used my 338 AM on my pronghorn hunt. Took a nice old buck at 1300 yards. Obviosuly its overkill but dead is dead!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

GG,

I do not know the exact age of the two rifles I just worked on, only that they were purchased this year and were the CDL model. The bolt stop lever nose had to be bent slightly to get proper free movement but that is normal with any Rem receiver, at least not uncommon.

Other then that everything functioned perfectly and as far as the receiver was a drop in fit.

Now, the very newest receivers may be different for sure, obviously they are. Looks like Remington is trying to make it harder to apply aftermarket parts to their receivers. Only shooting themselves in the foot if that is their goal.

Whats next, they going to make a non removable barrel design for their Rem 700?......

Oh well, all the more reason to go with a custom receiver!!!!

I would agree with the comments about the springs and cold temps, their force changes noticably with dramatic temp changes.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts