Bİg problem 7mm rem mag

ok problem solved l think. l didnt sight my rifle in at sea level l sighted it at 5500 feet. and whent shooting at sea level. would that make that much of a diference? 4 inch high at 100 yards hits dead on at 320 yards 5500 feet. and 4 inch high at 100 yards 4 inch low at 300 yards at 0 altitude(sea level) it seems to me the altatude diference is having too much efect than normal?

ok problem solved l think. l didnt sight my rifle in at sea level l sighted it at 5500 feet. and whent shooting at sea level. would that make that much of a diference? 4 inch high at 100 yards hits dead on at 320 yards 5500 feet. and 4 inch high at 100 yards 4 inch low at 300 yards at 0 altitude(sea level) it seems to me the altatude diference is having too much efect than normal?

Soundwaves, Sea level to 5500' doesn't amke that much difference @ 300 yds. I have to drop the BC to .4 and the velocity to 2650 to be 4" high at 100 yds and 4" low @ 300 yds, at sea level. At 5500' you would have to drop the velocity more to get that trajectory. It may be slower than the the advertised 2860, but my guess is that 2860 is very close. The factory loads that I have chrony'd have been very close to advertised. And I am estimating that a 7mm 175 PSP (pointed soft point, not round nose) will have a BC of about .5 The Nosler Partition is .519 and that's a pointed soft point.

Bottom line is that measured drops aren't always real accurate. It's best to shoot a couple groups each at 100 yd increments for good averages.

Yeah, I ran the numbers, and it is only showing about a 3-4" drop with 4" high zero at 100yrds. I still say it is a factor. I think that solves some of our problem, but not all of it. Until we can get hard evidence of your speed it is hard to correct or assume an absolute answer.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.