7mm Rem Mag

You are gonna tell me that the reason that most manufacturers design their actions with their names and logos and reputations at stake, on the Remington 700 actions, is b/c of a "bandwagon"???

That is the most obsurd thing I have ever heard.

I have had custom builds off Remington 7/700 actions and never had to replace ANYTHING on the action. Stock extractor, stock locking lugs, stock bolt face, stock everything. And woudl shoot 1-hole groups with no problems. Please tell me why you HAVE to replace all these items? I've never once had a 7/700 action fail in any way, shape, or form. Never had any metal fatigue, never had any parts failures, never had 1 single FTE out of the thousands of rounds put through them.

Yup, bandwagon.

I have a couple of stock Sendero's that are excellent shooters. They can do the job, no doubt about that. A lot of it is due to the barrel and the stock.

You don't "have to" replace anything but most smiths will encourage you to, including mine. One piece ported bolts are superior to the stock 700 bolt. Sako style extractors are much preferred to the 700 extractor. Integrated recoil lug is a better design. Flat bottomed receiver is better by most people's opinions. I can tune a howa trigger in about 5 min to a crisp 1.5 lbs. It takes about 30 min for me to tune a Rem trigger (old style) to about 2.5 lbs. Ever removed a Rem trigger then reattached it to the receiver? It's a royal PITA. Howa trigger is one screw. If you decide to upgrade to a Timney, you can get a 3 position safety for the Howa. To do that with the Rem, you need to replace the bolt shroud at a cost of about $125.

I think Chuck Hawks outlines quality features in an action very well.

Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced

MudRunner2005!! You know I'm in there with ya!! Lol!! Yur blood pressure is goin up again!!lol Remember the spaghetti monster!!! In some people's eyes, white is black an black is white!!! Remember the topic!! Lol!!! Advice on either a 7mag or 300! Even thought we all are guilty of debating 7mm vs 300 wm, the OP never really said any thing about a 300wm!! Now in saying that, mabey we should have been told that it was something differant! That being said, didn't th OP say that he setteled on a sendreo? I could be wrong(an I have been before)but isn't a sendreo a Remington 700?? If it is, the why in the hell are some people still trying to push what they like an want on someone who has already stated what he wants??

DT

MudRunner2005!! You know I'm in there with ya!! Lol!! Yur blood pressure is goin up again!!lol Remember the spaghetti monster!!! In some people's eyes, white is black an black is white!!! Remember the topic!! Lol!!! Advice on either a 7mag or 300! Even thought we all are guilty of debating 7mm vs 300 wm, the OP never really said any thing about a 300wm!! Now in saying that, mabey we should have been told that it was something differant! That being said, didn't th OP say that he setteled on a sendreo? I could be wrong(an I have been before)but isn't a sendreo a Remington 700?? If it is, the why in the hell are some people still trying to push what they like an want on someone who has already stated what he wants??

DT
Dick, did you read the OP?

Enough to kill all north americas big game out to 1000 yards? Some say go with .300....
Not trying to push anything, just giving the OP some more info. When I found out the current cost of a Sendero I decided to show him how he could do a custom for close to the same price. He can make up his own mind, I know what I would do for a few more bucks. Manners stock... Custom match grade barrel... Custom smithing? Yup, not much doubt in my mind.

You don't "have to" replace anything but most smiths will encourage you to, including mine. One piece ported bolts are superior to the stock 700 bolt. Sako style extractors are much preferred to the 700 extractor.. .

I know my 'smith did. When I had my 6-284 re-built, I get a call from Chad... Command decision time, your factory fire control feels like chit, I'm ordering you another one. :D A one piece PTG oversized bolt is what $150? Big deal, but I dern sure appreciate the fact that "good 'nuff" wasn't good enough in his eyes or standards.

Remington triggers... yep i've got a few of those.... sitting on a shelf somewhere:D

I'm more of a mini M-16 extractor guy myself due to the added safety factor but, I do have 3 rifles with Sako's on them; they work just fine.

t

I know my 'smith did. When I had my 6-284 re-built, I get a call from Chad... Command decision time, your factory fire control feels like chit, I'm ordering you another one. :D A one piece PTG oversized bolt is what $150? Big deal, but I dern sure appreciate the fact that "good 'nuff" wasn't good enough in his eyes or standards.

Remington triggers... yep i've got a few of those.... sitting on a shelf somewhere:D

I'm more of a mini M-16 extractor guy myself due to the added safety factor but, I do have 3 rifles with Sako's on them; they work just fine.

t
Chad is a quality smith for sure and a great guy to work with! Nothing but the best for him. You're lucky to have him so close. Got a couple of good ones up this way as well.

I went ahead and got the whole shootin works, firing pin and aluminum shroud Sako extractor kit, timney trigger and heavy duty pinned recoil lug. All that cost me about $500 or so including smithing. That is cost above and beyond needed for the Howa. I did sell the old bolt for about $100.

Last edited:
Dick, did you read the OP?

Not trying to push anything, just giving the OP some more info. When I found out the current cost of a Sendero I decided to show him how he could do a custom for close to the same price. He can make up his own mind, I know what I would do for a few more bucks. Manners stock... Custom match grade barrel... Custom smithing? Yup, not much doubt in my mind.

Look! What mabey good for some, might not be good for others! I know what the tread was originally was about! Why not stick to it? If whoever it might be wants whatever, then share your info an move on! That's all I'm saying! If southpa wants a sendreo, let him buy one! If he doesn't, that's his business! I honestly think(an I don't know him) if he haze any question's about anything else(he will ask!) like I said, it's ok to share info an thoughts! That's what we are here for. An I for one really don't think that anybody will intentionally steer anybody wrong!! Just because someone has a differant opinion or choice don't meen that others have to sell their point an hammer it home! It's ok to share info an move on! You don't have to win!! Nothing to win! Now I know I said earlier that I was done! (Shame on me for not sticking to it)! This time gentlemen, I'm out of here!! Good luck to all an safe shooting!!!!

yes have decided to go with the sendero but for the sake of this current thread i never specified which .300 cartridge i was considering. Somehow a WM got the popular arguement and there was just plenty of great info floating around that i myself never mentioned the .300 RUM. Does the RUM change things? As for the 7 STW, ive heard about it but know nothing about it other than ive heard it eats up barrels....Does the 7STW trump the 7RM and the .300WM considering all of the factors we have discussed on this topic? How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 7Rm to STW?

MudRunner2005-
thanks for your consideration, i will keep your offer in mind!

Dick, the problem is that here was southpa's last post, which opened up the discussion a lot more. I acutally agree with what Montana threw out there: with the price of Senderos right now, it isn't a terrible idea to consider a custom. However, southpa might want to open up a whole new thread for that or this one is going to go to 100 pages before long! Hahaha!!! :)

Simply because everyone basically jumped on the 700 bandwagon. As a custom action maker, you will sell a lot more 700 clones because there are more aftermarket components for them.

The 700 is an OK action but when you have to replace everything for a good custom build and all you are left with is the reciever, that right there should tell you something.

I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ½ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.

Dick, the problem is that here was southpa's last post, which opened up the discussion a lot more. I acutally agree with what Montana threw out there: with the price of Senderos right now, it isn't a terrible idea to consider a custom. However, southpa might want to open up a whole new thread for that or this one is going to go to 100 pages before long! Hahaha!!! :)

Well!! I fibbed again! cohunter14, I couldn't agree with you more! Great post an thank you for takin time to say that! You are right, sendreo's have gotten very pricey, that doesn't meen that if somebody else has a differant choice about components that its not up to par as others might think! It's about choices! If someone wants to go with plan A, an they want info on it, that doesn't meen that you have to make a hard sell on plan B just because you like it or have one! That's what got me to givin my 2cts! If you have info or opinions then OK!! There are some people that just have to make a hard sell or win at whatever when they don't have to! Just because somebody has or wants something differant doesn't make the other persons stuff inferior! Thanks again cohunter14. You are top self!!

DT

I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ½ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! lightbulb

As a bass tournament angler, I can also relate fully to your last comment. I use the basic stuff that catches fish, NOT what I think it pretty and shiney. When I select lures, I try to think like a bass, and go by past knowledge of what colors, patterns, etc that I have caught fish on in the past. Just b/c it works for Mike Iconelli, Chris Lane, Leon Knight, Dean Rojas or Alton Jones, doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna work for me. If you don't know how to work the lure, you're not gonna catch fish, regardless of what colors or pattern it is.

Just like a mall ninja with everything inlcuding a margarita blender on their AR, doesn't mean they can more effectively execute a mission. Sometimes the KISS acronym really comes to mind. Keep It Simple, Stupid!.

A factory Remington 700 Sendero will out-shoot most other factory mass-built rifles under the Sendero's price-point. Known fact. When you start getting into Weatherby AccuMarks, you are talking about hand-built, hand-assembled, and hand-tested rifles. Therefore, they're gonna cost a little more than a Sendero. The Browning A-Bolts are also right on par with the Senderos. I've had 2, and they were both absolute shooters from the factory!

Always remember, just b/c you have a $10,000 rifles doens't mean anything.....A gun is only as lethal as the man behind the trigger.

Some wold disagree with you... tell you what, I'm ready to move on... if you want to flesh this out more, start another thread.

LMAO, same place I got it I guess, by talking to people who actually know what they're talking about. Listen, 700s are the most popular because they could be resurrected from a run of the mill slab of chopsaw cut pipe into something capable of winning matches with the smallest investment, period. Can a Rem shoot 1/2 moa? Yup, do it all the time. I happen to have a couple of them. The aftermarket support for the 700 has grown to the size it is because of the demand, not because it is the end-all beat all.

I take it you've never seen a 700 lug so far out of shape it takes a surface grinder to make it square? which would be why certains 'smiths don't waste their time with them. Look at ANY top shelf rifle maker out there & tell me which ones still use a factor bolt & lug...please. Trigger? None of the top tier, some of the budget minded projects sure.

The majority of factory remington parts are replaced because they're known to have issues of one sort or another. When you're building a new rifle do you want the most possible accuracy or are you willing to take a chance on whether or not your factory parts going to function?

Easy decision on my part, which is why I don't build off of 700s anymore.

t

LMAO, same place I got it I guess, by talking to people who actually know what they're talking about. Listen, 700s are the most popular because they could be resurrected from a run of the mill slab of chopsaw cut pipe into something capable of winning matches with the smallest investment, period. Can a Rem shoot 1/2 moa? Yup, do it all the time. I happen to have a couple of them. The aftermarket support for the 700 has grown to the size it is because of the demand, not because it is the end-all beat all.

I take it you've never seen a 700 lug so far out of shape it takes a surface grinder to make it square? which would be why certains 'smiths don't waste their time with them. Look at ANY top shelf rifle maker out there & tell me which ones still use a factor bolt & lug...please. Trigger? None of the top tier, some of the budget minded projects sure.

The majority of factory remington parts are replaced because they're known to have issues of one sort or another. When you're building a new rifle do you want the most possible accuracy or are you willing to take a chance on whether or not your factory parts going to function?

t

Could not have said better.... my smith has done hundreds of 700 builds... he was Kirby's smith before Kirby started building rifles... maybe he should have a permit to post here? :rolleyes:

t

I will give you a little advice. When you say top builder there are many guys that have more records that never got the fame or the glory because they didn't have the internet. Look up Jerry Simonson out of Detroit Lakes MN. Surface ground factory recoil lug, factory bolt, trued Rem 700 action, Go see how many rifles that he built that hold BR records. Today everyone thinks you have to have an oversized PTG bolt, a jewel trigger and so on. If you want a lug and trigger fine and great that makes the smith's job easier. If you think you need an oversized PTG bolt you don't. Sorry to the OP again. If anyone would like to discuss what I have said further send me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts