7mm Rem Mag

Could not have said better.... my smith has done hundreds of 700 builds... he was Kirby's smith before Kirby started building rifles... maybe he should have a permit to post here? :rolleyes:

As has mine (he actually prefers the mod 70). It's summed up very easily.

You can polish a turd all day long. I guarantee, at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

t

Then yall keep polishing yall's turds by spending thousands on other actions, while I'll spend a couple hundred on my 700 to have it shooting 1-holers.

My gunsmith is an older fellow, he's been smithing since before it was "cool". He still swears by the 700 action to this day. He's seen every gun known to mankind. He shoots BR comps and 1000yd comps, and you know what action he uses after all these years? A Rem 7 or 700. He was also ranked in the top 100 riflesmiths in the nation one year. He's got the cert to prove it. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. His name.....Jimmy McCullough out of Selma, Alabama.

This article lists Jimmy as "one of America's premies gunsmiths." What Trips Your Trigger > Buckmasters > Venison and Other Wild Game Recipes

And I'm proud to have him as my smith, as well. So I'll take his word for it, when he says the Remington 700 is the best action design he's ever seen.

As has mine (he actually prefers the mod 70). It's summed up very easily.

You can polish a turd all day long. I guarantee, at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

t

Yeah, I like the M 70 as well. Mine is a CRF with 3 position safety. The bolt is 2 peice but it has a good extractor and a standing style ejector which I like. Also the integrated recoil is a little beefier than the Howa and the trigger is extremely easy to adjust. Mine is a crisp 1#.

I might start doing future builds on these M 70 actions.

For the most part I agree that the loading manuals have gone light on the 7mm RM, but a couple weeks ago Hodgdon updated their 7mm RM data with some some pretty hefty Retumbo and H1000 loads for the 180 VLD. I have trouble believing you could push the powder charge that high with any factory rifle with a 180. The velocity posted is easily attainable. The powder charges, though, are definitely not lawyer proof.
You got me to look and WOW yea I got primers with the bottom of the firing pin indention even with the rest of the primer and material extruded around the pin at those charges, Berger's manual is definitely more realistic. To say I backed off is an understatement.

You got me to look and WOW yea I got primers with the bottom of the firing pin indention even with the rest of the primer and material extruded around the pin at those charges, Berger's manual is definitely more realistic. To say I backed off is an understatement.

My .308 loads are like that, but I feel safe with Lapua brass. I'm running 44.0gr of Varget with both 168's and 175's out of a virtually new Remington 700 5R .308 (11.25" twist). I just figured it was strong strike marks from a new gun...Since I only have about 116 rounds through it. It's nowhere near broke in. Opinons please? None of my other new 700's have left funky indented primer strikes...

I break my guns in alot diffeent than most people and have never had a problem with them shooting 1-hole groups. I shoot the **** out of them before cleaning them about 100 rounds, during the process I get the barrel good and warm, then let it cool. Then shoot some more. Then I thoroughly scrub the barrel after 100 rounds, then I'm good to go. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I don't care...Works for me and it shoots 1-holers for years and years. Not to mention a new barrel is just a phone call away. LOL

Well, as a new guy around here I was interested to see what the fine folks of LRH had to say.

Until a couple pages in.......stopped after page 4, just too much chest puffing.

Oh well, next thread

Dan

Well, as a new guy around here I was interested to see what the fine folks of LRH had to say.

Until a couple pages in.......stopped after page 4, just too much chest puffing.

Oh well, next thread

Dan

There was actually some good information burried in there if you were willing to go through all 21 pages! Lol :)

Edit: 22 pages now!!!

Southpa

I will give you a few examples of Accuracy with factory rifles and some customs with 700 actions. The first one is a Rem 700 SPS 7mm mag that I bedded in a High Tech stock and adjusted the trigger.

Here is the rifle.
Picture_01011.jpg

Here is a 4 shot group off the bipod with a rear bag at 1000 yards with Retumbo and a 168 Berger Hunting VLD.
7mm_Mag_168_Berger_4_shots_off_Bipod_at_1000_yards_6-6-09.jpg

Same Rifle and load on a different day again off the bipod with a rear bag.
7mm_168_Berger_1000_yards_off_Bipod.jpg

Factory Remington 700 BDL 375 H&H bedded in a HS stock. 600 yards off the bipod with a rear bag and 350gr SMK's.

375_H_H_350_SMK_600_yards_off_bipod_1_-_Copy.jpg

I never had a Sendero in a 7mm Rem mag but I had a couple in a 7mm STW and other calibers so here are some targets from 7mm STW in a factory Sendero. This rifle was never bedded only the factory trigger was adjusted.

500 Yards off bipod with rear bag and 140gr Accubonds.
62447mm_STW_500_yard_off_Bipod.JPG

100 yards off bench 3 shots with Barnes 140 TSX's.

6244STW_140_Barnes_TSX.jpg

100 yards 160 Sierra HPBT 3 shots off the bench.
6244STW_160_HPBT_Sierra.JPG

I have had over the years 10 Sendero's in a different calibers I have never had trouble getting them to shoot under 1/2 MOA.

Since we are on a 700 bashing trip by a few.

Custom LSR Rem trued 700 with Holland lug and factory bolt and trigger 7mm STW Berger 180's 3 shots off the bench at 100 yards.

6244LSR_7mm_STW_180_Berger_100_yards_3shots_H-1000_79gr.JPG

Same rifle off Bipod at 710 yards off bipod with rear bag.

LSR_7mmSTW_180_Berger_710_Yards_off_Bipod.jpg

Again same rifle off bipod 1480 yards with a rear bag. A note I ran out of adjustment on the scope and had to hold over with a regular crosshair. First target only two shots hit the plate the 3rd went low.

IMG-20120227-00009.jpg

Second group again holding over at 1480.

IMG-20120227-00014.jpg

Rem 700 6-284 trued action ground factory lug with a hart barrel built by Jerry Simonson. That I bedded in the HS stock.

3 shots off bench 100 yards.
6mm-284_105_Berger_after_bedding_job.JPG

710 Yards Off bipod with a rear bag.
6-284_105_Berger_710_Yards_off_Bipod.jpg

375 RUM on a Rem 700 SPS trued action, Factory bolt and trigger bedded in a High Tech Stock without a brake as of right now. Just Built by me and that is rounds 48, 49, and 50 down the tube. 3 shots 100 yards off bench.

375_Rum_Target_1.jpg

All targets were shot at an altitude of 865ft above sea level.

**** good shooting!! With results like those, what's not to like? You said that you have never owned a regular 7mag in a sendreo, I can assure you that you will be pleased! They shoot like the ones you have now!!(Great) how many gens of Retumbo are you using with the 160's? Again! **** good looking rifle an **** good shooting!! Ani't nuttin wrong with a 700!! Not Nuttin at all!!!!

DT

I ment grains of Retumbo! Sorry!

Last edited:
Hey Dakor......Don't you agree those pesky 700's just suck....:rolleyes:

I love my 700's and honestly cannot find an action that I prefer over it. I have always been a 700 fan from an early age, and will always be one. Some things are just embedded in your DNA. :D

Once I get a box or 2 of Berger 180 Target VLD's I'll do some load testing with it in my Sendero SF 7mmSTW, and will post my "horrible groups" from that factory crappy 700 action and barrel once I get her dialed in. :cool:

My 700 5R .308 shoots horrible, too. Here's a 24-shot hotlap I did on a bet from a buddy. No strays, no fliers, just one ragged hole.

2AB4E683-A2EA-491A-93A0-D6A4B695D38F-545-000000D5F11489CB.jpg

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

I mean, they're just horrible shooters......Can't stand how bad they are straight out of the box, stock trigger that has not been touched.

Thanks. A 24 shot group? Man I do not want to shoot against you! Wow that is a hell of a group from a so called turd rifle. My load for my 7mm mag is 71.5gr of Retumbo, Fed 215 Primer, Winchester brass, 168 Berger VLD seated .007 off the lands, and the muzzle velocity average is 3055FPS and the ES and SD are in the low Single digits. That load in my rifle has no pressure signs and has easy case extraction. Please reduce load by 10% and work your way up. Southpa I do not think you will be at a disadvantage with a Remington.

Yessir, that was a 24-shot group @ 100 yards. Hand on the Bible. I shot it on Jan 13 of this year.

And believe it or not, that was rounds number 77-100 out of that brand new rifle, too. Wasn't even broke in yet. To say I am pleased with my purchase is an understatment. I have always been a 700 fan. :)

I was shooting handloads, too. Recipe is as follows.

Lapua brass
44.0gr Varget
168gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets
Federal 210 primers
Packed to 2.810" C.O.L.

It's amazing how those turd rifles can shoot, ain't it? :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.