7mm Rem Mag

You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.

I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that **** spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT

Yup, I have several of both. The Howa's have one piece ported bolt with Sako style extractors and beefy integral recoil lug.

Currently have 2 Howa action projects int the works and 1 Rem 700. Replaced the bolt with a PTG one piece and M16 style extractor kit and replaced the recoil lug in the 700. Cost a whole lot more than the Howa's to do.

...With the cost of a rechamber you could put a brake on 300 WM or RUM.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that.

You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.

I can see a couple areas where compared stock to stock, the Howa has an advantage but that's about the extend of my Howa knowledge.

t

Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.

I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that **** spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT
Next time you're in a gun store, work a Vanguard action and a 700 action. The Vanguards are definitely tighter and smoother not to mention the bolt and recoil lug issues.

Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.

Way back when, Weatherby contracted Howa to start making the Vanguard action using the Mark V as a model. There are a lot of similarities between the Howa actions and the Mark V including both being cast recievers.

Next time you're in a gun store, work a Vanguard action and a 700 action. The Vanguards are definitely tighter and smoother not to mention the bolt and recoil lug issues.

Well S$&(;:"@t!!! Here goes!! I don't have to go to the gun store,to work the actions. I've owned both!! Now!! (Everybody pay attintion) I prefer the 700 action over the vanguard. I just think its better. That's just MHO!! If whoever, likes the vanguard action,then so be it!! (Choices!!!) Now! I will say this! Unless it is a custom machined action,(made out of billet steel) the Mark V action is the way to go! Very strong,safe,&reliable!! That's just my 2ct's!!! Still haven't found that spaghetti monster!! Lol!!!!

I will add, that a very well known and respected smith on this site rates the Howa's, Mark V's and 700's about the same in strength. At least that's what he told me in a PM exchange.

I do agree with that, round action are as strong as round actions. The MK V is also extremely stong.

Mud-
I have had several discussion with engineers who had no trouble telling me flat out, the Win Mod 70 is a good bit stonger than the 700; which by design fall in with Howa & Savage from a strength standpoint.

t

I do agree with that, round action are as strong as round actions. The MK V is also extremely stong.

Mud-
I have had several discussion with engineers who had no trouble telling me flat out, the Win Mod 70 is a good bit stonger than the 700; which by design fall in with Howa & Savage from a strength standpoint.

t

Mud!!! Lol!! Now this is gettin just plain **** funny! You should've took your own advise!! Lol!!! Better side step this one!! Remember the spaghetti monster???? Lol!

DT

Mud-

t

Actually the Mark V and Howas are flat bottom actions which is another reason I think they're better than a 700.

I'll let you guys chew on this for a while :)

Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced

I have owned a Howa 1500 bolt gun before. It was a pile. So I traded it off towards a Browning A-Bolt II. Which is, IMO, also one of the best actions ever made.

Rem 700
Browning A-Bolt II
Weatherby Mark-V

Those are my top 3, and will always be. Fourth on the list is the Ruger 77 MKII action (yes I know it is based off Mouser K98, so is the Win 70).

Once again, simply my opinions.

Take them as your own, or disregard them completely. It's up to you, and nobody is making you believe MY opinions.

I do ask this one question though......If the 700 is not one of the best actions ever designed, then why is it that SO many aftermarket manufacturers base their own actions off the 700's proprietary design, instead of basing them off of something else?

I do ask this one question though......If the 700 is not one of the best actions ever designed, then why is it that SO many aftermarket manufacturers base their own actions off the 700's proprietary design, instead of basing them off of something else?

Simply because everyone basically jumped on the 700 bandwagon. As a custom action maker, you will sell a lot more 700 clones because there are more aftermarket components for them.

I have a Model 70 22-250 that I actually like better than the Howas, except the noisy saftey.

The 700 is an OK action but when you have to replace everything for a good custom build and all you are left with is the reciever, that right there should tell you something.

Also, outside the US, the Howa is more popular in most countries.

You are gonna tell me that the reason that most manufacturers design their actions with their names and logos and reputations at stake, on the Remington 700 actions, is b/c of a "bandwagon"???

That is the most obsurd thing I have ever heard.

I have had custom builds off Remington 7/700 actions and never had to replace ANYTHING on the action. Stock extractor, stock locking lugs, stock bolt face, stock everything. And woudl shoot 1-hole groups with no problems. Please tell me why you HAVE to replace all these items? I've never once had a 7/700 action fail in any way, shape, or form. Never had any metal fatigue, never had any parts failures, never had 1 single FTE out of the thousands of rounds put through them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.