Big guns

I have owned a number of 375s over the years. Current one is pre-64 Model 70 in a Brown Precision stock and built by Brockman in Idaho. It has QD Talley rings with Brockmans excellent pop-up peep rear and blade front sight. I have used it for deer on Kodiak and moose elsewhere in Alaska. Great caliber and very versatile. I never feel undergunned when hunting in brown bear country with my 375.

I have owned a number of 375s over the years. Current one is pre-64 Model 70 in a Brown Precision stock and built by Brockman in Idaho. It has QD Talley rings with Brockmans excellent pop-up peep rear and blade front sight. I have used it for deer on Kodiak and moose elsewhere in Alaska. Great caliber and very versatile. I never feel undergunned when hunting in brown bear country with my 375.
I need to send him my model 70. Buddy of mine on the peninsula has his set up like yours, I really like those sights.

I've had 2 a SAKO 85 manlicher that I sold and bought a Model 70 like what I shot in Africa. I liked the feeling of the model 70. I have worked loads from 250 to 300 gr. I agree with the earlier post in the 270gr. I use Barns TSX. I have shot 1 bison and several hogs. I would not hesitate on bear, moose, elk, caribou and African game. I shoot it regularly as well

I put the brakes on at the 375 H&H,,, I returned to the 338's and 300's,,, then dropped all the way down to 30/06 as my go to rifle for 6 ish years...

I guess my big rifle this year is a 6.5 if we're talking about calibers larger than .223 or others in that category...

The question is,,, """What is a big rifle /// Big Gun."""

A big heavy gun,,, a large cartridge,,, heavy / long bullets,,, or all the above...

My friend has a 49 lb big gun,,, my other pal has a 29 lb'er,,, mines a 12,,, I guess it's a big gun...

Defining a big gun is challanging I guess,,, it probilibly depends on the person and what they consider it to be...

This is a fantastic caliber. If you are looking for ONE caliber to all the work in Africa this would be it.
Good to hear I was so upset I could not make Africa due to personal life happenings
Curious what was the fine elephant taken with?

The .375 H&H is an "outstanding caliber and my all-time favorite cartridge. I still miss my last one a Whitworth Alaskan, the one before that was a Sako, but the Sako trigger guard was a painful thing to deal with, the Whitworth was a true MOA hunting rifle in that cartridge, loved it. Anyone that grow-up in the heavy caliber hunting game and read Elmer Keith would have at least one .375 H&H in the safe. For the big game in the States including Big Brownies and Grizzly the .375 H&H in a tip-top pick, with bullets from 235gr to 300gr and there are some 200gr & 350gr out there, it has the power and range. And it's a darn fine Whitetail cartridge "loaded down" with .235gr Speers.

Love my 358 Winchester, EDGE and my 416 BUF but will definitely build a 375 RUM. "Go Big or Go Home!"

Love my 358 Winchester, EDGE and my 416 BUF but will definitely build a 375 RUM. "Go Big or Go Home!"

I love the 358 too...

You will love the 375 RUM. I think it is the best use of the RUM case...everything a 375 should be. It is 90% of a 378 weatherby--and that last 10% is purely obnoxious. Use a good bullet and it is the most potent big game cartridges around. I even stopped using my 416 when I built my first 375 RUM...I own 2 now. Buffalo, elephant, Lion....no problem. Side by side with a 416 rigby I could tell no difference on game- no granted I was using a stout handload in my rum..and factory 400s in my rigby.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.