Big Sky spring bruins

Very early for sure, there are a few G bears out and around and even fewer black bears. Only a couple places in the state that I can yearly depend on seeing bruins for the opener.

Just thought I'd check in with other Montanan's and see if they're gearing up, perhaps seeing some sign while horn hunting.

After this winter I'm ready to go do about anything, but I don't think there will be much access outside of snowmachines and tracks with the amount of snow in the mountains. Spring bear sounds good, but at this point, I'd settle for some sunny days shooting varmints.

Warm days are coming friends and we all will gladly welcome them.
My brother in law and Sister in law are on Strawberry Mountain and have seen no bears yet as they are still snowed in.
Here in Helena the snow is about all gone except in the shaded spots and the mounds on snow taken off roadways but it too is melting.
Can't wait to get warm enough to get out and glass the areas where I see bears regularly.

I drove from Boze to Billings and back yesterday. Interesting to watch the snow in the field levels. Between here and Reedpoint or so the slopes and fields were loaded with white. From there east nothing but brown ground.

Course the country farther back in had plenty of snow on it.

This is just one man's opinion but it is my opinion that the snow levels have little to no meaning as to when the bruins begin to show up. IMO...this year will be no different from most. There will as always be a few bears out come the 15th, but not many but enough to keep it interesting. There are 2 areas of the state where they'll always be out come the opener.

Then come May 13th the woods will come alive, the week of May 13th-21st will as normal be incredibly good!

Great time of year to be on the hill my friends.

Was hoping to make it out end of next month to do some poking around until I got a call last night informing me I won a mountain goat/black bear hunt in British Columbia so my vacation days are going towards that. I'm fine with that

Zeesh that's late, if you don't mind me asking what part of the state? NW?

I saw the first goph of the year the end of Feb if I recall right, the snow gophs have been out in force for some time now:)

We got a lot of snow but a few bears have been around town already.I have spring fever, but favor high mountain area near me.Its just starts to get good when season closes.Im also itching to toss a pike fly
Not alot of guys doing the pike/muskie fly thing. Getting the itch pretty bad myself. Good luck!

IMO it doesn't get any better than pike/muskie on a fly rod in a lake. I started my journey with it it 1993.

To date, my biggest is a 47" muskie on a wet. My goal is a 50", at least it keeps me going...:)

Once one fly fishes for pike and muskie they'll not spin fish for them again!