How big would you say he is

I agree with everybody 250-500:D hee hee. Seriously I'd guess close to 300 but, not much more.

Last edited:
That bear doesn't have enough length for 500 but It should go 300-350. Once over that 400 mark where I hunt they look disproportionate in length to height at the shoulder. I ran bear with dogs have seen many in this size that hit the scale. A good bear no doubt but once you see a 500 -600 pounder you'd know right away. I have been on one that was much bigger than a 535#er we took a week before. We figured it was about 650 in the snow his front paw walking quickly landed 10 inches in front of his back paw. Most bears in the 300# range land the paws almost perfectly in the same spot in that same depth of snow/speed. Looking at this bear his height is about the same in distance as his shoulder to his butt. 500# will have a length 2/3rds longer than that distance as a rule. The other thing. He is not wide a really good bear looks wider than he is from ground to shoulder

Do not get alot of bears here to scale, MT is not known for large B bears. But looks like a sow and boar to me, 6-7', and 19-20" on the skull, my best 7-3" and that bear looked like he had the swagger, anybody around here would be happy to tag him.

Weight wise, my first guess was 350ish for the bigger one.

Length wise, I would've just measured the foot prints' width to get an accurate guess for nose to tail length. Never really guess the length without it. But can't really guess weight this way for they can vary over 100lb of difference.

Do not get alot of bears here to scale, MT is not known for large B bears. But looks like a sow and boar to me, 6-7', and 19-20" on the skull, my best 7-3" and that bear looked like he had the swagger, anybody around here would be happy to tag him.

I agree. Almost certainly a boar and sow. Definitely a shooter in the lower 48 states.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts