How big would you say he is

If in Pa. you can tell the weight by the color and number of tags in each ear if no tags does it have a radio collar if none of anything it most likely is a first year cub and i have seen some cubs in the 3 to 350 lb size.
Not sure on these two bears.

Got a kick out of that nfhjr62:D.
Boyd, this a tough one since there is not a lot to go by for size reference. Don't know the size of the stump, bushes ect. But this looks like a pretty big
black bear. ( Looks like he has a bad case of the green apple trots:). )
Without any thing much to reference on other than the bear himself and the
way he moves I'd guess him in the 7foot range. He's a big bear.

350 lb cub??? I feel bad for its mother!:D Is hard to tell, but he's a good one. Maybe 450-500 lbs. But that's just a guess.

I'm guessing this vid is a spring shot. THe larger bear is kind of lanky w/rough hair on its sides. Plus it looks like it's been doing the polkberry thing......

Its a good'n. If you could kind of baby sit it until fall you'd have one heck of a troph.

I may be all wrong, but from the 250 pounders I've seen the big fella has the potential for fully twice that.

Put it on the scales and report back.:)

It's a pretty short clip with not a lot of opportunity to judge size, so I wouldn't bet the farm on this estimate. I'm presuming a sow with cub and if that's the case, I would agree with MontanaRifleman's estimate.

The smaller bear didn't look big enough to be an adult sow hooked up with a bigger boar for purposes of mating.

Now guy's, the smaller bear ain't no cub. Go back and look at it again.
The size of the head in relation to the size of the body is about all we have to
go on in this clip, with just a little help from the way they move. On cubs the
head is big in relation to the body size. The older the bear gets the smaller the head looks in relation to body size.
As for movement, cubs in their first and second year tend to sort of "scamper"
along as they run while the older bears appear to sort of roll along. The older
they get the more pronounced this rolling motion becomes. We don't get to
see much of the smalller bears movements in the clip, but the bigger bear
definitely demonstrates the rolling motion of a big bear. I think royinidaho is
probably fairly close in his assesment.

An obvious method of assisting size estimation would be to determine if this was a sow and cub, or a boar and sow by their behaviors. There wasn't enough video here to tell if the bigger bear had the hots for the smaller one or not. Or vica-versa. I saw a smaller boar mount a larger sow brown bear on Kodiak Island during one of my brown bear hunts.

There's always the subsistence method. Paste'em and pull out the tape measure and scales after-the-fact. I've been known to use that method - after I determined the bear was legal for the taking under the hunting regulations.

Looks like a nice bear, comparing the video to a few bear I have harvested i would guess the bear goes 400lbs. Plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts