Best time to be in the stand during the rut

What’s your favorite time to be in the stand if you only have 4 hours?

• Early AM sunrise -10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid day 10 - 2

• Afternoon 2 - sunset

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course all day would be the best, but given the stated 4 hour window I would pick the morning. I've spent the last 4 days in the woods. Very disappointed with the number of deer I have encountered. The deer just seem to go nocturnal after the masses hit the woods on public land. It is so dry that any movement will be heard from a long ways by the deer in the area. Getting into remote areas of the 22k acres just pushes the deer into other areas. I'll stop whining now. I am blessed just to be able to be out in woods regardless of the outcome.

Three years ago I hunted every hill and arroyo on the ranch from daybreak until 1:00. We had some lunch in the truck, drove about about a mile and a half and spotted a nice 5 X 5 buck tending a doe. That was about 2:00 in the afternoon. Snuck in on him and shot him.
Last year I drove past the ranch house at daybreak. Parked next to a barn, walked around the barn and shot a nice 5 X5 Whitetail buck as the sun came up.
So I say hunt all day during the rut. When a buck gets a scent of a hot doe, he's on her regardless of the time of day. They don't wear watches.
I should amend this by saying that my stand is my pickup. It's mobile and after looking an area over for an hour or two it moves to another section of the ranch. Lunch break is taken on the tailgate with a spotting scope set up next to me. When the winds exceed 30 MPH we sit in the vehicle with a spotting scope on a window mount. So this may not be considered stand hunting by most.

I've noticed the last couple years I'm having trouble sitting all day like I used to. Mainly from lower back pain from surgery years ago. My most productive time has been late morning followed by early morning so nowadays I usually hunt early until about 1 and then take a walk to switch stands or call it a day.
I'm in the same boat. My ability to sit for over 3 hours is waning. The years of body abuse is catching up with me. Climbing tree stands are used less these days. I find that carrying the stand, pack, and rifle to an area and scaling a tree just takes a toll on me.

I should amend this by saying that my stand is my pickup. It's mobile and after looking an area over for an hour or two it moves to another section of the ranch. Lunch break is taken on the tailgate with a spotting scope set up next to me. When the winds exceed 30 MPH we sit in the vehicle with a spotting scope on a window mount. So this may not be considered stand hunting by most.
Works for me, just not possible where I hunt