When is the Montana mule deer rut?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Len Backus, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

By that I mean to ask, when in November does the buck become significantly less nocturnal in his appearances.

Making himself more viewable during legal shooting hours?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Last week of the season Len!! Thats when the big bucks show up. They seem to come out of the woodwork here every year.

Here is last years bucks my son and I took on the same day. Not huge deer but good for our area.

Jeff

[​IMG]

3. Len Backus

Jeff, look pretty darn good to this WI boy.

4. pitbull320

pitbull320 Well-Known Member

The places I hunt if we don't get some cold weather it happens after the season and that has been the case for several years now

5. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

The last two weeks of the season. You can just about set your watch to it.

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Never hunted Montana but my DIY computer program says that the best time will be between 10:15 AM 4 days before the last day to 1:45 PM on the last day. :D:rolleyes::D

7. LayinItDown

LayinItDown Active Member

My wife and I have real good luck around the 12th of November. That's her birthday and we always spend a few days in the woods for her birthday party.

We hunt central Montana and the second week in November has been good to her. I've also seen some big papas towards the end of season too, but the second and third week in November seems to be the best time to catch these guys in full swing.

8. Len Backus

Thanks, all. Keep the info coming please.

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Len, one other thing you may want to consider. Although the bigger bucks come out the last week, the snow is also deeper. Depending on where and what elevation you will be hunting, and how you are getting around that could make a differene to you. I say have chains for all 4 and a good long handle shovel and you will be fine.

Jeff

10. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Last week is it, the colder and deeper the snow the better the muley buck hunting!! I always get trigger happy and end up tagging earlier usually gun)

11. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Well-Known Member

I just Hope it starts when we get there this year. I hope one in our group gets a wall hanger, Like fishing I could care less if I Catch the big one, but I do like to see one.

12. szeitner

szeitner Well-Known Member

Len, if you're going to hunt where I think you are, snow depths shouldn't be too significant, but like Broz said, always have a shovel and chains just in case. I've been seeing lots of bucks lately, but smaller 3x3 and 4x4's. The bigger boys generally start moving around a bit more from around the 10th of November on. The does are going to be around the food and water sources, so the old moss backs will come out of the roughs to find them. My niece managed to get a decent, not huge buck yesterday morning. [​IMG]

13. Len Backus

Scott

Very nice deer.

I think I forgot to post about the tv show??

14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Len,

As others noted, they are normally out and about the last 2 weeks of the season. I do not know what's going on but the big boys are out early and already on the rut ... very strange since it's been warm. I snapped this picture off my wild game processor ...

[​IMG]

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed