when is the rut in Kentucky?

davewilson

have a friend that's thinking of a trip to the northern part of the Daniel Boone Nat'l forest. anyone know when the bucks are moving the most?

Hey dave,

Dale Barrett here from lexington ky. I've done a lot of grouse hunting in the northern section of the Daniel Boone. If your not familiar with the terrain, it's very steep,high country, for kentucky anyway. I'd suggest a good pair of boots with really good traction. If you do come down for opening day, expect to see a lot of orange. most of the people that hunt there are lazy & don't get to far off of the main roads. If your not afraid to travel over a few mountains you can bury yourself pretty deep in the woods. If you do kill a bruiser in deep you've got your work cut out for you. Also be aware, that part of the state was hit hard by an ice storm in 02, & left a lot of treetops on the ground, making some areas virtually impossible to walk through. You may want to bring along a good chainsaw just in case. As far as the deer movement goes here, it's that time when you see deer at unexpected times. Last year I shot my buck at 1:30 in the afternoon, with nose to the ground, running hard. Our hard pre-rut activity really starts picking up around the first week in november. Thats when the nocturnal big boys start showing up in daylight hours & when you see the most buck movement. usually by opening day of gun season were in full swing, & a lot of the big boys get holed up with a doe & dissapear for about a week, then as the rut tapers off, they get on the move again. hope this helps & most of all, GOOD LUCK!

well im in knott county ky and I am new to hunting this year and I really don't no whats going on I put some feeders out in September got pics of at least 15 different bucks big and small went out to the blind opening day muzzleloader October 19 2013 killed a nice 7 point around 8 that morning and have not seen a buck sense I have jumped 2 does by themselves in 4 days I have home made feeders and not had to fill them in a month but in October I had to fill them about every 5 days and today nov 12 2013 sat in a snow covered blind all day and seen not one thing can some one tell me what I am doing wrong i really want my kids to kill a buck but i don't no if we have missed the rut or its no in full swing yet any advice would be appreciated

The rut in Ky is a mystery to everyone I know. I've tried for years and years to pattern it out and can't seem to make much sense of it. It depends on the weather that year and the area you're hunting. Most of my hunting has been in Anderson and Washington county and seems there are more than one each yr. There will be a few bucks chasing first part of oct, same mid nov and again mid to late dec. I read an article a while back that said since deer had been brought in from all over the country to re-stock from the slaughter in the mid 1800's the deer go into the rut at different times. From what my buddies and I have gathered over the years there seems to be some truth to it.
Until I join the military I ran feeders and trail cams on several different farms in the counties mentioned above. Spent every bit of my free time in a stand with a bow and whatever else was legal, from opening wkend in sept until close in jan. All the pics and time I've spent support multiple ruts or at least hot and cold times of does. Most of the areas I hunting I had sole permission on so hunting pressure wasn't really an issue. I made sure to move around every time I killed on and play the wind as best I could. I honestly believe that does will come in heat from sept to jan just depending on the area and the deer population in the immediate area. I've seen bucks running does, had pics of it at all the times mentioned above, usually the colder it gets the more I saw it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.