Best Long range mule deer scope. VX6, Huskemaw, etc.

I am trying to decide on a new scope to put on my new custom rifle that I will be getting back from the gunsmith soon. The rifle will be fairly light weight, 7.5-8lbs with scope. I plan for it to be my pack around all day long range mule deer rifle. I plan to practice and play past 1000 yards, but practical hunting will probably be out to 800 yards or so. My main purpose for this scope is long range hunting. Not going to be trying to compete or anything with this setup.

I have a Vortex PST on another rifle, and I don't mind the scope. My only complaint is the reticle is too thick on max power on those long range shots. I am looking to step into the next class up in scope, but also NOT looking to spend >2 grand on a scope that weighs a ton.

I would really like to stay between $1,000-$1,500 for the scope.

I have been looking hard at the Leupold VX6 3-18 with the Tmoa reticle, and switching out the top turret for a tactical turret while leaving the windage turret capped.

I am also interested in the huskemaw 5-20. I really like a lot of the features. Not too sure about the 1/3 moa clicks, not a big deal I'm just so used to 1/4 clicks.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these scopes? Or are there any suggestions for other scopes in this price range that I should be considering?

Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have 3 VX-6's and love them two are 3-18x50 with the zero lock. One is a 4-24x52. The new VX6 HD's look really nice haven't looked thru one yet though.
They are nice light and they are what I feel is a lower profile scope that is more fitting for a hunting rifle.
The low profile, great glass ,and light weight are a few of the reasons I really like them.

So what I would do if I were you is find a used VX-6 they are very reasonably priced right now since a new line of them just came out.
Try it out if you really like it and want to upgrade to the new VX6HD sell it.You shouldn't really lose any money. Or if you don't like it sell it and try something else.

I have and really like the VX6 with TMOA.
Also, if you do a search you will find a bunch of info comparing the scopes mentioned...just a thought.

Gusd, I like your idea. I think I will keep my eyes open and try to find someone selling a vx6 and get a deal on one since the new hds are coming out.

Rick, I've read several threads on each of these scopes. It seems like people like both of the scopes a lot, not much negative about either that I've read. Probably can't go wrong with either scope. I just wanted to put my feelers out and see if anyone has any new input on either of them, or if anyone has had a chance to compare them side by side, or if there were any other scopes in that price range I should be considering.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate any input.

how about the new tract 15x scope, id be real interested in seeing details on the adjustment mechanism and some real world testing on how repeatable the turrets are,

id like to see some direct comparison to the leupold vx6 and the tract, how they track after turning the knob up and down a thousand times, how they handle recoil, how the power ring works when you have the scope mounted in rings ect,,,,,

comparing low light resolution on a chart is pretty far down the list on what is important in a scope to me, or shooting a one time box test,,,,

Lots of great reviews at the Hide on the new Athlon scopes......supposedly two engineers from Bushnell teamed up to start their own optics company and their new Cronus 4.5-29x56mm that cost $1699 are reviewing favorably to both the Nightforce ATACR and Vortex Gen II.........at $1000 less in price. I have my eye on the new Ares line, which is FFP and has a 30mm tube, HD glass, exposed turrets w/ 25 MOA per revolution (100 MOA total), Argon filled, etc. for only $799. Scopes comes in 2.5-15x50mm and 4.5-27x30mm I believe. I haven't got my hands on one yet (releasing in March 2017) but will probably go this route on a build I am currently working on. Definitely worth checking out IMO.

I'm not familiar with the tract scopes, this post was the first I've heard about them. Looked them up, look like a nice scope. I have also heard a lot about athlon, have some buddies that are planning on trying them real soon, for the money I'm sure they are a good scope. However on this particular build I'm not really looking to do much experimenting with newer companies. I preffer to stay with a company that is tried and true, which is kind of why I was originally between the Huskemaw and the leupold.

Also recently I've looked at and really liked the nightforce SHV 5-20-56. I love the reticle, capped turrets for hunting, can still dial up yardage even though only 10 moa per rev. And it has a zero stop. I looked at this scope compared to a Huskemaw and leaupold and personally my fist impressions were better than both. My only dislike is the weight.

Anyone have experience with the Nightforce SHV 5-20-56??

Thanks again for all the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts