2020-best long range scope

While non-turret stages in PRS/tactical competition can be better served with a greater degree of sophistication in reticle design, ie Christmas tree, for hunting, I prefer a solid center crosshair(no dot), and clean/simple MOA or MIL graduations. My favorites, whether SFP or FFP.(left to right: Nightforce MOAR, March MTR-3, S&B P4F, Nightforce MIL-R.
5765ACF5-55FC-49E5-98FB-FAB2870951F8.png DA9CAEB7-FB05-4349-8D15-DF51B0F36BF9.jpeg 9FD4F2E6-0BCF-4912-83F4-9E35DF3C9C65.jpeg 738FE381-7099-4FC6-9910-17539D3DF43B.png

I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks
Check out the Zero Compromise scopes. I have heard really good things about them fro Ryan Pierce. If he says they are good then you can be sure they are because he has a jig to test them and puts them through the works. Also March Optics is rumored to be releasing some new scopes at shot show including a 5x42x56 with their super ED glass. They also perform well when put through brutal testing and hold their zero.

I just picked up a march. It's a 3-24x52 FFP with illuminated FML-T1 reticle. It has noticeable CA which I don't think a scope in this price range should.
It is light at 25oz with The included flip up caps. The reticle is heavy enough for use at lower power with the open center iron cross allowing a little more precision for load development on paper.
The CA isn't gonna cause a miss on target or game so I may just keep it, I have a week or so to decide if I can live with it.

In my opinion Ed glass is over rated for hunting purposes. Your not exactly trying to see 6mm holes in a paper target at 600 yards through mirage on high magnification.
I think the nx8 would be a decent choice. The 32 power model has around 90 moa internal adjustment while using 30mm main tubes. It's ffp and doesn't have a bad price point. You want a scope that never has to be sent in for a factory fix. This scope dose not exist. Every manufacturer puts out a lemon once in a while. Just a fact of life. I prefer a sfp scope for hunting, esp for walking the draws and creek bottoms. I'm not big on a cluttered looking reticle on low power.

NIGHTFORCE NXS 8-32X56 with the 2DD reticle. I have 16 NF scopes including ATACR's which, IMO, don't offer much over the NXS's, but the 2DD reticle is the best for LR targets.

How long after Shot Show before I'll realistically be able to get my hands on the Latest Wonder of engineering?
It's great advice. I'll hurry up and wait and wait and wait? LOL
I do want to see what is coming out at this point. Time tested has its merits also.
True, I know. I am an impatient study when it comes to my shooting wants. I can give advice but I don't usually follow it. Lol

I want to thank everyone again for all the great information and suggestions. I keep going back over the entire thread to study it in greater detail.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks
You may want to wait until after shot show. There will be lots of new products announced then.

As much as I'm impatient too, my advice would be to go and look through , hold and feel as many scopes that are within your budget range, make a short list, then repeat.
There are that many reticles available throughout the manufacturers of top quality scopes that it gets quite difficult to choose from, but its important to get one that you like. What's the saying, choose in haste, repent at your leisure, believe me, speaking from experience here, take your time and go look through them all...!! It will pay dividends. Let us know what you choose..

Vortex razor amg is worth looking at. Especially with their warranty. I heard the sig tango 6 is good but it seems to be a little heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts