2020-best long range scope

300fortheWIN

I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks

I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks
What's your budget? Tangent Theta is exactly what you are looking for - there are less expensive options that will fit your needs:

ATACR
Mark 5HD
S&B PMII

The NF ATACR is on the short list and about 10oz lighter then the SB. I'm not opposed to the SB and it is still in the running. The features on the Mark 5HD looked good and 10oz lighter then the NF but I don't want to let a few dollars or a few ounces stop me short of amazing glass. Reticle seems to be a larger factor Then I thought and could influence the final choice. Without being able to see how thin the reticle it is on different powers I'll be relying on good advice. I am a little concerned if I'm out hunting with my long range rig and something close pops up. NF ATACR 7-35 might be difficult to jump shoot close in 7 power. I also like the idea of locking turrets.
Thanks for helping in an expensive investment.

Last edited:
I am a little concerned if I'm out hunting with my long range rig and something close pops up. NF ATACR 7-35 might be difficult to jump shoot close in 7 power.
Jump shooting game with a LR setup is pretty difficult in most cases, especially if it's braked.

It should be mandatory for any "What scope you I get" thread to include price range, weight, power, light capability, etc. If you don't put any thought into it....
$2,000 was my budget for another VX6 but I am willing to suffer more pain for a great scope. I think $3500 would be my outer limits. If possible I'd like to stay away from boat anchors in weight for hiking.

Jump shooting game with a LR setup is pretty difficult in most cases, especially if it's braked.
I was thinking of getting some electronics for the ears if moving through some thick elk country with this rig. If I'm hunting in real thick elk country, like North Slope UT. I'll use my 300 Win with no break.

For both LR hunting and competition in FFP/MILS, I have been very satisfied with my Nightforce ATAC-R F1 5x25x56, and my S&B PMII 5x25x56. Superb glass, mechanicals, and reliability.
What reticle are you using on those scopes?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts