Best Long Range Spotting Scope

Motor622

New to long range shooting, I am looking for a quality long range spotting scope capable of identifying 30 caliber holes on a target at 800 to 1000 yards. I know there is no such thing as cheap quality glass, I'm just looking for quality and duriability for the field on long range hunts. Any ideas?

You're not likely to see .30 holes very often beyond 500 yds with any scope. It's possible under some conditions. However, atmospheric turbulence usually limits the resolution in typical shooting range conditions. At sunrise and sunset the turbulence disappears for a short while, and it's briefly possible to see amazing detail at long range with a high quality scope.

When shooters do see bullet holes at these long distances, it's usually because the contrast is very high. For example, a black target with a light backstop behind it will create bullet holes with high contrast. Those bright spots will be visible at a long distance, just as stars against the night sky are visible at a long distance. However, two holes next to each other will appear as one brighter hole, not two separate holes. So, individual bullet holes are not really being "resolved" even though they can be "seen".

If you give us more details about your preferences, like weight, price range, etc., members can make better recommendations on specific models.

Thank you for the quick response and the information you provided makes sense now that I think about it, after all I see the conditions you talk about through the rifle scope.

I am looking for something light enough to carry in a day pack for short hikes to ridge tops. I hope to find something around $1,500.00

You have lots of options. Look for an ED or HD scope with a good warranty.

A few more things to consider: Do you want to glass for long periods at a time with the scope, or mainly use it to score antlers and see other details after you spot something with binoculars? Do you spot a lot in low light? Do you prefer angled or straight eyepieces? Do you wear eyeglasses? What is your weight limit for the scope and tripod?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.