Long range spotting scope

iceman4226

i'M LOOKING FOR A NEW SPOTTING SCOPE. The one I have now is a $100 Basspro. Here's my thing I will probably never go hunting out west or anything and you cant hunt with high power rifle in Indiana except coyote. This is my problem and my want I guess you could say. I was sighting in my 22-250 Friday. At 250yrds I couldn't even seen the hole in the color changing orange peel target. I had to drive down to the target on the 4 wheeler to see where I hit. Man I just got fed up and decided i need a good spotter. I put it off a couple of times. This is what I have been looking for but not sure if I need all of that. I want to get a vortex they look like they have a good warranty. I was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 Angled $1600.00. 1st question is do I want a straight or angled? 2nd question Is the cheaper vortex scope as good and will it do what I want. It's like $900.00. I do have a 338 lapua that I will be shooting sometime when I get optics and ammo. Sorry for all the questions

In the upper right hand corner of the page is a search function. Type in angled or straight it will take you to a thread on this subject. I prefer angled, seems easier on my neck. I don't have experience with Vortex so I'll leave the 2nd question alone.

The Viper HD is a good scope for the money. Is it as good as a Razor, well there would not need to be a Razor if it was as good so I think that answers it's self. For flat land and looking down hill the straight is better IMHO. The angled is very nice for looking uphill and also can be useful by turning sideways on a window mount for spotting out a vehicle window. Much more comfortable but very auckward for finding what you spot.

Switch to the "Shoot N See" targets that are black with green when you make a mark on them. MUCH easier to see than the orange tarhets

Typically folks that shoot from a bench like the straight eyepeice better. People that shoot from aqward angles like prone like angled better. I can take my angled spotter and lay prone and spin the spotter so I can see it without getting up. Your not going to do that with a straight

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts