2020-best long range scope

My two cents, Vortex gen 2 5-25x50 for the low side of the scale or a nightforce Nx8 4-32x50, high end.
I do recommend Mils over Moa, once you train your brain, it's such an easier basics of 10, compared to 4. If you don't already have a set of ranger finder binoculars. Get a set. Laminate your dope card, gorilla tape it to your stock as well as an extra in your pack. And you'll have a lethal weapon with all your hold overs out to what ever your safe long range distance consist of. Good luck and enjoy

I'm saving my Benjamin's for the TT315 Hunter model. I'm also a mildot fan, very close to the standard duplex I used for years when I was restricted to short distance slug guns and muzzleloaders.

Now all I need is a pass to Shot Show so I can look through all the scopes in one place. What store or place in America has most of the scopes in this thread that I can look at? I'm near LAX.

I would like it - if you can explain WHY you think FFP is ..."impractical".

I don't understand at all why you would even consider a FFP scope for hunting. SFP is way more practical. That being said and if the weight isn't objectionable I really like the Nightforce ATACR in either 5-25 or 7-35 for your application. Both can be had in SFP with the MOAR reticle. I don't recommend the MOART reticle for big game hunting due to it being a bit thin for rapid target acquisition.

C553 5-25x56
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-5-25x56-f2

C626 7-35x56 available in MOART but not MOAR
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-7-35x56-f2

I had an NX-8 in 4-32 and found it to be totally unusable for a hunting application on lower powers because the FFP reticle all but disappears and even with the illumination turned on it was still almost invisible. I traded it...

The VX6 HD in 4-24x52 with the T-MOA reticle is my lightweight choice for a long range hunting rifle but I see that you're looking to spend more. You may not get more... ;)

If you truly want a scope for competition AND hunting then you'll have to live with a compromise and that's not acceptable for the ultimate rifle in my opinion. Besides... I also don't think that a competition rifle is a practical hunting rifle and the reverse is true as well.

Just one old crusty curmudgeon's subjective opinion that's probably worth about what you paid for it.
That being said and if the weight isn't objectionable I really like the Nightforce ATACR in either 5-25 or 7-35 for your application. Both can be had in SFP with the MOAR reticle. I don't recommend the MOART reticle for big game hunting due to it being a bit thin for rapid target acquisition.

C553 5-25x56
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-5-25x56-f2

C626 7-35x56 available in MOART but not MOAR
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/atacr/atacr-7-35x56-f2

I had an NX-8 in 4-32 and found it to be totally unusable for a hunting application on lower powers because the FFP reticle all but disappears and even with the illumination turned on it was still almost invisible. I traded it...

The VX6 HD in 4-24x52 with the T-MOA reticle is my lightweight choice for a long range hunting rifle but I see that you're looking to spend more. You may not get more... ;)

If you truly want a scope for competition AND hunting then you'll have to live with a compromise and that's not acceptable for the ultimate rifle in my opinion. Besides... I also don't think that a competition rifle is a practical hunting rifle and the reverse is true as well.

Just one old crusty curmudgeon's subjective opinion that's probably worth about what you paid for it.

I read the entire thread...and without intent of peeing in anybody's wheaties.....I had some good laughs. I see a number of posts that the poster is fixated on a brand an model as.."the best". News flash: WE are all DIFFERENT. your eyes, and mine see things...differently. Even if we both test 20-20 per the eye Doc. We see colors and aberrations differently too. Fact.....
My point(s) are:
1. The shooter/hunter needs to define WHAT they are looking for - as for features - in a scope. Weight, power, etc. - otherwise...get a dart point and a blindfold. There are that many GOOD scopes out there.
2.In my humble, humble opinion....seriously - I do not believe MY opinion is THE way to go - just one option....I have come to really appreciate the combination of decent - not top shelf - glass, lightweight ( relative to length and functions) that the combination of the Sig Sauer BDX scope offers. Dial it in at the range - get zeroed ...and never touch the turrets again. When combined with a BDX rangefinder ( the BDX 3000 Bino Rangefinders are really good glass and ranging...) you have eliminated the FFP, SFP argument. You actually have the advantages of both. In less than .25 of 1 second the range finder send the data to the scope and a firing solution appears as a very small, but bright orange dot. Aven extremely color blind folks can see orange. I would not say it is the "ideal" for shooting steel of a bench at 1000yd. plus distance ( the firing solution software is limited to about 800 yds unless*) I have not tried it for that. But I have used it at a range out to 400 yds. and for hunting Elk in wide open country where the shots can be long. And...About that * above - If you progress in need for more distance, you can use a Kestrel ( 5700 Elite ) for accurate ranging out to ...as far as the rangefinder can ping a target. I dont want make claims that will perturb the egos of folks owning very expensive laser range finders...but I will tell you I got quite a few hits, with firing solution provided by the BDX rangefinder+Kestrel+BDX scope...beyond 3000 yards. Just something to think about. You can use the scope as a stand alone. Has a good reticle. Then if/when budget is good with it...and in a BDX range finder of choice ( the bins are the king of this..)...then reach out more with adding in the Kestrel. It has bee good enough that I dis-mounted a Razor II - and replaced with the BDX....glass is not quite as good as the Razor. But the combination of the BDX system ) plus the Kestrel) is a great asset if you want to hunt or shoot steel.

I read the entire thread...and without intent of peeing in anybody's wheaties.....I had some good laughs. I see a number of posts that the poster is fixated on a brand an model as.."the best". News flash: WE are all DIFFERENT. your eyes, and mine see things...differently. Even if we both test 20-20 per the eye Doc. We see colors and aberrations differently too. Fact.....
My point(s) are:
1. The shooter/hunter needs to define WHAT they are looking for - as for features - in a scope. Weight, power, etc. - otherwise...get a dart point and a blindfold. There are that many GOOD scopes out there.
2.In my humble, humble opinion....seriously - I do not believe MY opinion is THE way to go - just one option....I have come to really appreciate the combination of decent - not top shelf - glass, lightweight ( relative to length and functions) that the combination of the Sig Sauer BDX scope offers. Dial it in at the range - get zeroed ...and never touch the turrets again. When combined with a BDX rangefinder ( the BDX 3000 Bino Rangefinders are really good glass and ranging...) you have eliminated the FFP, SFP argument. You actually have the advantages of both. In less than .25 of 1 second the range finder send the data to the scope and a firing solution appears as a very small, but bright orange dot. Aven extremely color blind folks can see orange. I would not say it is the "ideal" for shooting steel of a bench at 1000yd. plus distance ( the firing solution software is limited to about 800 yds unless*) I have not tried it for that. But I have used it at a range out to 400 yds. and for hunting Elk in wide open country where the shots can be long. And...About that * above - If you progress in need for more distance, you can use a Kestrel ( 5700 Elite ) for accurate ranging out to ...as far as the rangefinder can ping a target. I dont want make claims that will perturb the egos of folks owning very expensive laser range finders...but I will tell you I got quite a few hits, with firing solution provided by the BDX rangefinder+Kestrel+BDX scope...beyond 3000 yards. Just something to think about. You can use the scope as a stand alone. Has a good reticle. Then if/when budget is good with it...and in a BDX range finder of choice ( the bins are the king of this..)...then reach out more with adding in the Kestrel. It has bee good enough that I dis-mounted a Razor II - and replaced with the BDX....glass is not quite as good as the Razor. But the combination of the BDX system ) plus the Kestrel) is a great asset if you want to hunt or shoot steel.

The number of electronic optics is increasing very rapidly. 10 years ago Noone would think they were anything but James bond movie props and now regular people are actually using them in the real world. I can't say anything about them because I have never used them but I hate having to carry extra batteries when hunting.

The number of electronic optics is increasing very rapidly. 10 years ago Noone would think they were anything but James bond movie props and now regular people are actually using them in the real world. I can't say anything about them because I have never used them but I hate having to carry extra batteries when hunting.

I put in fresh batteries when I leave on a week long hunt. I use the items pretty heavily, and have never depleted a battery. And...carrying a spare battery for each item in your field pack is pretty small and light. Just eliminate that 1 snicker bar that you shouldn't eat anyway....:D

I'm looking for a great scope for my Weatherby MK V 338-378 Arroyo. I have the same rifle chambered in 300 Win. Sporting a Leupold VX6. I want a better scope for the 338-378. I would like it to be mil in FFP and worthy of competition and long range hunting. I would like the scope to be worthy of the next custom rifle that can handle 100-2000 meters. World class for 2020. Thanks

You present a rather demanding set of requirements for a single optics, but let's see if we can wade through it. Yes, I read the thread, the whole thread.

As a quick note, I'm a long time competitive shooter (35+ years) and I have been competing in F-class for the last 13 years. I shoot a .308 at 1000 yards every month and then there are State, Regional, National and World competitions on top of that.

I live and breathe behind a riflescope looking at a target 1000 yards away, placing bullets on the target for score. The X-ring is 5 inches in diameter, the 10-ring is 10 inches and so on.

This is not to brag, by any stretch of the imagination, this is to explain the kind of surgical accuracy that is required in my type of shooting and so I use a riflescope that allows me to do that.

My requirements are high magnification (I use 40X,) great definition and clarity for my 65 year old eyes and superb tracking and dependable, predictable knobs.

The degree of magnification I need and use prevents me from using an FFP, my scope has a very thin SFP reticle with minuscule dots and lines. Totally worthless for hunting, I should think.

I know nothing of the 338-378 except that it's probably a pain to shoot and is probably not very conducive to extreme precision. I don't know what kind of competition you are considering with that rifle, but I think you should just forget that and concentrate of Hunting and Bragging shots, AKA ELR. To go from 100 to 2000 meters will require quite a bit of elevation adjustment on your scope.

You can certainly use a canted rail, but having a scope with the required internal adjustment range is the better way to go. Using the internet, I found that the MV of a 338-387 with a 250gr bullet is about 3000FPS. Using JBM, I picked a regular Hornady 250gr .338 bullet and plugged in some numbers. With a 100 yard zero, you will need 277MOA of elevation to get to 2000 yards.

There is only one scope on the planet that has that kind of elevation range built-in, the March Genesis 6-60X56. Its price is an eye-watering number, around $5000. It does have phenomenal glass (Super-ED High Master) and a unique Wide Angle eyepiece that will beat anything out there for field of view. It's an FFP with 400MOA of adjustment range, 300 up and 100 down.

Now if you want to save a little bit of money, there is another March, the 5-42X56 and it has 140MOA of elevation. It also has the Wide Angle eyepiece and is an FFP.

If you want higher magnification, you need to go with an SFP, and the highest magnification scope anywhere is the March-X 8-80X56 but it has a much lower elevation range.

Schmidt & Bender is a great scope, but they are porky, very heavy.

The Kahles brand is also excellent, great glass.

The Nightforce glass is fine, a little weak on light transmission in my mind, especially compared to others, but they are still fine scopes. They are also quite porky, heavy. I have an NXS 12-42X56, as a backup scope.

As you refine your specifications, it will be easier to narrow down the selection.

You present a rather demanding set of requirements for a single optics, but let's see if we can wade through it. Yes, I read theAs a quick note, I'm a long time competitive shooter (35+ years) and I have been competing in F-class for the last 13 years. I shoot a .308 at 1000 yards every month and then there are State, Regional, National and World competitions on top of that.

I live and breathe behind a riflescope looking at a target 1000 yards away, placing bullets on the target for score. The X-ring is 5 inches in diameter, the 10-ring is 10 inches and so on.

This is not to brag, by any stretch of the imagination, this is to explain the kind of surgical accuracy that is required in my type of shooting and so I use a riflescope that allows me to do that.

My requirements are high magnification (I use 40X,) great definition and clarity for my 65 year old eyes and superb tracking and dependable, predictable knobs.

The degree of magnification I need and use prevents me from using an FFP, my scope has a very thin SFP reticle with minuscule dots and lines. Totally worthless for hunting, I should think.

I know nothing of the 338-378 except that it's probably a pain to shoot and is probably not very conducive to extreme precision. I don't know what kind of competition you are considering with that rifle, but I think you should just forget that and concentrate of Hunting and Bragging shots, AKA ELR. To go from 100 to 2000 meters will require quite a bit of elevation adjustment on your scope.

You can certainly use a canted rail, but having a scope with the required internal adjustment range is the better way to go. Using the internet, I found that the MV of a 338-387 with a 250gr bullet is about 3000FPS. Using JBM, I picked a regular Hornady 250gr .338 bullet and plugged in some numbers. With a 100 yard zero, you will need 277MOA of elevation to get to 2000 yards.

There is only one scope on the planet that has that kind of elevation range built-in, the March Genesis 6-60X56. Its price is an eye-watering number, around $5000. It does have phenomenal glass (Super-ED High Master) and a unique Wide Angle eyepiece that will beat anything out there for field of view. It's an FFP with 400MOA of adjustment range, 300 up and 100 down.

Now if you want to save a little bit of money, there is another March, the 5-42X56 and it has 140MOA of elevation. It also has the Wide Angle eyepiece and is an FFP.

If you want higher magnification, you need to go with an SFP, and the highest magnification scope anywhere is the March-X 8-80X56 but it has a much lower elevation range.

The Nightforce glass is fine, a little weak on light transmission in my mind, especially compared to others, but they are still fine scopes. They are also quite porky, heavy. I have an NXS 12-42X56, as a backup scope.

As you refine your specifications, it will be easier to narrow down the selection.
You present a rather demanding set of requirements for a single optics, but let's see if we can wade through it. Yes, I read the thread, the whole thread.

As a quick note, I'm a long time competitive shooter (35+ years) and I have been competing in F-class for the last 13 years. I shoot a .308 at 1000 yards every month and then there are State, Regional, National and World competitions on top of that.

Great information. Thanks.
As I stated in my first post I was hoping for a great scope that might be used on the 338-378 and in the future be moved to another rifle(worthy of competition). I know several of the limitations and great qualities of this Weatherby 338-378. It is a long range Hunting Rifle. It is Range Certified from the factory with a 3 shot group sub MOA.

RC- 225 grains Barnes TSX.
B.C.: 0.532 G1
Velocity- Muzl 3150fps. 500yds 2294
Energy(ft-lbs)- Muzl 4959. 500yds 2629
3 shot group at factory.
Rad SD: 0.50
Group: 0.87
Means Radius: 0.39

I have come to understand that there is no one perfect scope that will be great at everything. Like my request for a great long range Hunting Scope that will work for long range/extreme range competition.
Weight and reticle seem to be limiting factors for perfection.

I will press forward with the great information and advice given in this thread. I will continue to study this thread as I try to narrow down my choices.

my main goal at the moment is to convert my 338-378 from a heavy paperweight to a meat gathering machine. With a brand new All Seeing Eye.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.