Best scope for fairly long range deer hunting

Just tried my first Burris. A C4 with free custom elevation turret matched to your load. i was so impressed i just ordered another.

I shot a 18 deer between 400 and 500 yards with a Leupold 2x7 scope with a Stoney Point elevation turret added.
I would range the deer while stalking using a Lecia 1600 rangefinder.
When I was within 500 yards, I would like down, deploy the bipod, and screw on the turret.
2x was plenty power for shooting a deer at 500 yards. I would just aim for the front 1/3 of the animal.

But in varmint hunting with a .223, to shoot a ground squirrel or prairie dog with just the head sticking out of the burrow at 200 yards, I like at least 10X.

ill say this. Some of my long range hunting guns do have 4x12s and even 4x16s on them. I shoot alot of long range deer each year and dont think ive ever shot one with a good old 3x9 that i thought to myself i need more scope and im talking out to 500 yards and a bit more. I say go with a 3x9. For the same price as a 4x12 you can usually buy a better 3x9 and if you cant hit a deer at 400 yards with a 9x scope its time to go back to the range. .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.