Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

bullets and rifles are like golf clubs- you need one for each shot-

90gr -170 gr for lots and lots of fun
My point was, you can't expect one or two bullets to perform perfect in every situation. You can't expect one or two bullets to give the accuracy of your barrels potential. There are hundreds of bullets for the .277 bore just not many offered for LR work whether hunting or target.

Usually when talking the heaviest ling range bullets I'm most cals guys will be rebarelling to use them and I've never seen a quality barrel and chamber not shoot a bullet, I've seen hundreds of custom barreled rifles set up on one bullet and they shoot when proper load development is done. When you look at all the cals there really are only a couple, three that are at the top for longrange hunting, most only on or two IMO.

Usually when talking the heaviest ling range bullets I'm most cals guys will be rebarelling to use them and I've never seen a quality barrel and chamber not shoot a bullet, I've seen hundreds of custom barreled rifles set up on one bullet and they shoot when proper load development is done. When you look at all the cals there really are only a couple, three that are at the top for longrange hunting, most only on or two IMO.
I'm with you. Besides the 338/375 options, you are correct there are really only a couple and the .277 isn't one of them. I'm satisfied with those couple/few options without being concerned with adding a middle man cartridge. I'm also satisfied using the 270 when i do hunt deer at ranges to 250 max in woods settings. Typically my shots are 100 or less with my .270. The .270 slim bullet selection for LR isn't a hindrance for me but would enjoy trying some if or when they ever do produce more in the heavy line up.

I have a 270 win 26" McGowen 1-8 twist Remage. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it at range. I can say this though modern powders like RL26 and the demand of people to want to extend the range of the 270 to extreme long range tools created the Berger EOL Elite hunter. I can get 2,940 out of my tube and it is sub moa. The question is, how many longe range hunters are there. Here out East ranges of 350 yds are extreme ranges and most shooting (75 yds to 200 yds) involve nothing but zeroing and then adding a little Kentucky windage. Of course once you cross the Mississippi you enter a different world. Game types vary widely and range are extreme. Most of us out East will never shoot 1,000 yds much less hunt at it. So it changes how you hunt and what your expectations are for both yourself and for the equipment and tools you plan to use. I am more of a target shooter knowing I have the capabilities to hit targets at range. Ranges that most people do not hunt at. For me it's more about building the tools that can do incredible things. For most out East until you get to the mountains you can not hunt with a rifle. So it's just what we all get use to and we buy tools that fill that purpose for those who can. This is where the demand for the 270 win 1-10 comes from. For me I move to my 2nd house in Bethany Beach Delaware. This puts me 45 minutes from Bridgeville where the gun club there has a 1,000 yd range which I am looking forward to. Seems to me the manufacturers should build a 270 that has an option for a 1-8 twist. I plan on shooting mine out there and I envy those of you that love out west where you get to use what you build. Just saying.

Seems to me the manufacturers should build a 270 that has an option for a 1-8 twist. I plan on shooting mine out there and I envy those of you that love out west where you get to use what you build. Just saying.
[/QUOTE]

I think it will slowly happen. Nosler just released 270 cal 165 grain ABLR and a factory rifle in 27 Nosler with 1-8.5 twist. It's a start right? I've got a 26" 1-8 Lilja on a 270 win I love it. You nailed it on the modern powders and bullets they really make the 270 shine

DavidA, there is a group of hunters that have been shooting mountain to mountain in your area for years. Yes they are a small number, but they have very specialized equipment and can do it well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.