.277 berger 170

I am getting 3225fps (Magnetopeed) with the 170 Berger in my 270Wby. Confirmed drops out to 980yrds. 28" 1-9 Benchmark barrel. Pushed by RL26 with Russian Mag primers. Custom action. Loading the cartridge long to 3.5" COAL. Can only get to about 3.4" COAL with the Mark V action.

Killed a 6x6 Bull Elk this year @ 285yrds. The Bull dropped where he stood. Did not take a step. The bullet broke apart and did not hit any big bones...Bullet recovered on the opposite of the Bull just under the hide. I have a picture of the bullet at home...

Wow thats great performance and velocity.
Is there any way you can post a pic of your loaded round?

Delete. Stability at muzzle 1.408 at 420asl but I don't know your elevation.

Last edited:
Uploaded the ladder I used for my 270 WSM using 170 EOLs. The grains listed are for Retumbo. The node between 66.3 and 66.9 is right at 3050 fps. This ladder was shot at 300 yards with the node shooting about 1/2" group. Had a few wind gusts off and on that likely accounted for the horizontal spread. This rifle was used this year to take a nice buck at 760 yards. Very little recoil with a mild brake. For reference 67.5 shot 3095 and 65.7 at 3012. My standard load is 66.5gr Retumbo 0.015 off @ 3050
E0509276-8630-4871-B9FA-34EE6A6584BC.jpeg

Perfect, how's the accuracy?

I have confirmed drops to 980yrds...

Some 3 shot groups

3 shot groups.jpg

And a 20 shot group...I am impatient and the barrel was not very cool...

@ 100 yrds...

ES runs 10 to 13 fps on a 10 round string...

All shooting out of the back of my Pick-up with a rear bag and a bi-pod...

I really did biff one on that 20 shot string...no excuses...

Attachments

• 20 shot group.jpg
    20 shot group.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Good deal. I'm sure you are jumping them a mile to the lands?

You are still finding Russian primers? I have a stash of Wolf small rifle primers for my 6BR but thats been hoarded away for years now, I'm actually afraid to develop a load for them because once they're gone thats it!

You are still finding Russian primers? I have a stash of Wolf small rifle primers for my 6BR but thats been hoarded away for years now, I'm actually afraid to develop a load for them because once they're gone thats it!

With the 170 Bergers...I am jumping .3 to the lands...Crazy...

With the 165 matrix I am able to do .02 off the lands...the Bergers just flew better for me with that over quarter inch jump...

I am convinced that I can hit another node with RL26 above the 3225fps...Just had an Elk hunt coming up and 3225fps was good enough...

The Wolf primers that I have...were bought a long time ago...They always seemed to work well with the ES...In my opinion (they seem to have a thicker cup) and I can run higher pressures...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts