Which .277 cartridge for berger 170's (AI, WSM,etc)

It's too bad the 270 Weatherby gets such a bad rap. It will drive a 165 Matrix with RL-26 to 3150 feet per second without even trying. Recoil is not bad either. The Hornady 270 Weatherby brass I've been using has been fired 5 times now and shows no sign of wear. It is reasonably priced also.

I don't shoot factory loaded ammo so the fact that Weatherby loaded ammo is expensive doesn't matter at all.

That being said I have shot some 165 Matrix out of a regular 270Win with reasonable performance. I thing a 270AI or 270Sherman with a fast twist barrel would do very well with the 170bergers.

What would you expect for barrel life in a 270 wby shooting 170s? Shooting them that fast sure would make for some impressive ballistics. What kind of velocities would people expect from the Sherman with 170s? How would barrel life between the Sherman and the weatherby compare?

The first question should be...how long is your mag box?

You can load the 170 Berger really long before you hit the lands. With my 270 Wby, stock freeborn (.378"), the 170 Berger hits the lands @ COAL 3.8". The bullet is not even in the case at that point. The 165 Matrix hits the lands @ about 3.48"

My mag box can hold a 3.7" COAL cartridge (My action is after market). I load the 170 Bergers to 3.52" COAL in my 270 Wby. That is almost a .3" jump.

Max length of a "stock" 270 Wby is 3.4" COAL. At 3.4", there is a lot of the bullet in the case.

I have a 28", 1-9, barrel.

I have an accuracy node with the 170 Berger @ 3225fps loaded to 3.52" with the .3 jump.

An accuracy node with the 140gr Hornady SSTs @ 3629fps, COAL 3.4", with an unknown jump to the lands...

Sooo...do not be concerned about the Wby freebore . To get the best out of the 270 Wby with the 170 Bergers...you really need a long mag box...

As with dwn says above, with the 270, in a Wby Mark V action, with a 28" barrel, COAL 3.4", 170 Berger, I also hit an accuracy node at 3150 fps...easy load on the brass...

On thing nice about a 270 Wby, brass is everywhere and you do not have to fire form...

A throated 270 WSM on a long action may be the way to go...You could even AI the shoulder on the throated 270 WSM, Long action...

I have a 270 Sherman and 270 Sherman Shortmag. Both are awesome! Dies and reamer are just a PM or phone call away if you get in touch with Rich (elkaholic). I have shot 170 Bergers out of my 270 Sherman with a 28" barrel at 3100 with RL 33 but a little hot. 3050 would not be out of the question for decent brass life and accuracy. The 270 Sherman Short is more efficient even though it has slightly less capacity than the sherman. You would have to open the bolt face though.
Here are some links to my threads

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-sherman-build-completed-152046/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-ss-sherman-shortmag-load-data-171085/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/270-sherman-shortmag-ss-160199/

why not go gonzo and go for the 270stw, 27nos (already mentioned by another member), or 270/7rum then...

If you want to play with the big dogs you need a big stick...

I looked at that, and then i wanted a little bit of practicality to the cartridge, ease of conversion with bolt face, massive amounts of semi inexpensive brass, good bullet selection and the animals i would hunt with it. I came up,with the 300win mag as the best of those combinations to neck down to .277.

A 277 rum or stw will go faster, but are harder to convert from a standard 300 win mag. Oa/ bolt face/ mag lengths etc. the 2270-300 win mag is one pass to neck down and load.

If people are worried about barrel life, you can nitride for less that 100.00 with shipping.

Good luck with your decision, i bit the bullet on my own project two years ago and this is my first hunting season with this rig.

So far, three shots, three animals. Two boar, and a 6-6 Wyoming Elk. I hope im lucky in Colorado in November.

So no regrets at all on the 270-300 WinMag

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.