277 170 bergers

Grim Reaper

Building a new rifle with 9 twist 30 inch bartlein 5r.My original idea was to shoot mostly 165 matrix bUT since Marshall sold the company looks like that is history.My case will drive 270 bullets exactly like a 280 ackley and is basically the same as the 280 just necked .007 down.Have any of you had success with 170 bergers I believe I can drive them 3000 or a little more and I mostly shoot summertime bean fields at 600 to 1000 feet elevation.Thanks for any responses!!!

Building a new rifle with 9 twist 30 inch bartlein 5r.My original idea was to shoot mostly 165 matrix bUT since Marshall sold the company looks like that is history.My case will drive 270 bullets exactly like a 280 ackley and is basically the same as the 280 just necked .007 down.Have any of you had success with 170 bergers I believe I can drive them 3000 or a little more and I mostly shoot summertime bean fields at 600 to 1000 feet elevation.Thanks for any responses!!!

Your 9 twist will be not be optimal below 75 degrees for 600 ft . Take at look at Berger's twist rate stability calculator:

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

+1! I have a 30" SS Lilja 3G 1:8" barrel on my .270 AI and have propelled the 175 Matrix near 3100 FPS but the group opened up and did not care about the pressure signs. My current accuracy load has an MV of 2993 FPS.

Our latest project is a 27 Nosler with 7" twist running 168g Hammers at 3200fps.

Look at a faster twist if it is not too late.

Steve

I have 3 boxes unopened for sale if you want to p m me......Rich

Look @ Feenix answer...he knows...

However, with the 170 Bergers, you can seat them long as compared to the Matrix 165s. How long is your mag box (max COAL in magazine)? More space in case, more powder, more velocity, more stability...

I have a watt box on my new action built by Mr Jim Borden it is a timberline magnum length action very long with 30-06 bolt face.I felt like it would be ok as rarely will it be used less than 65 degrees mostly 85 and above.I have no clue really I checked the stability chart at berger long before starting this project and at 3000 it looked like 1.55 stability and I had read several posts on the 165 matrix I'm hoping the bergers perform well as their availability isn't in question and we're actually manufactured after I had the barrel blank.The 1.55 was for the berger and I read that a few had even gotten very good accuracy from a 10 twist although not recommended.

The length of the 27 168g Hammer is 1.726". I think most of the cut rifle barrel makers will work with you on a 7" twist. The barrel that we used for this project is an X-caliber. I am having a brain fart right now, but if I remember correctly it is 28". Jury is still out on this barrel. When we did initial load development and break in/fire forming it seemed really good. We were only using our bullets and did not have any copper fouling problems. We have since had some accuracy issues and noticed a bit more copper fouling than expected on a cleaning. Since figured out that the old Leupold scope was having issues. Yesterday we cleaned the barrel thoroughly and did some fire forming with some old Sierra bullets that were on the shelf. Then cleaned the barrel to find heavy copper fouling.

Sorry for taking the bullet thread to a barrel discussion.

Steve

I have a watt box on my new action built by Mr Jim Borden it is a timberline magnum length action very long with 30-06 bolt face.I felt like it would be ok as rarely will it be used less than 65 degrees mostly 85 and above.I have no clue really I checked the stability chart at berger long before starting this project and at 3000 it looked like 1.55 stability and I had read several posts on the 165 matrix I'm hoping the bergers perform well as their availability isn't in question and we're actually manufactured after I had the barrel blank.The 1.55 was for the berger and I read that a few had even gotten very good accuracy from a 10 twist although not recommended.

My 28", 1-9 twist barrel...I had no problem stabilizing the 165 Matrix at 2850fps from my stock 270Win Chamber...I live at 5000' altitude.

The length of the 27 168g Hammer is 1.726". I think most of the cut rifle barrel makers will work with you on a 7" twist. The barrel that we used for this project is an X-caliber. I am having a brain fart right now, but if I remember correctly it is 28". Jury is still out on this barrel. When we did initial load development and break in/fire forming it seemed really good. We were only using our bullets and did not have any copper fouling problems. We have since had some accuracy issues and noticed a bit more copper fouling than expected on a cleaning. Since figured out that the old Leupold scope was having issues. Yesterday we cleaned the barrel thoroughly and did some fire forming with some old Sierra bullets that were on the shelf. Then cleaned the barrel to find heavy copper fouling.

Sorry for taking the bullet thread to a barrel discussion.

Steve

Wow! That is a long bullet...I just measured the 170 Bergers and they are around 1.48". Off topic...what kind of freebore are you running in that chamber?

Up the speed with that 27 Nosler :)...I have an accuracy node in my 270 Wby, 170 Bergers, in a long mag box at 3225fps...28" barrel, 1-9 twist...RL 26 powder...

Sorry for the tread hijack GR...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.