.270 Build Help-Berger 170 EOL

Scoobyh

I need some expert help. I'm contemplating building a .270

What I'm thinking-
Savage 110-already have
1:7 or 1:7.5 X-Caliber pre-fit- 28", possibly 26", either bull profile or varmint. With a brake.
Stock-undecided
Bullets-Berger 170 grain EOL

I don't know why but I just love a .270. I kinda just want to build one to be different.

My question is I can't find much info on the Bergers, even on their website. I did come across a load chart on another forum, supposedly from Berger. The do list IMR7828 SSC. I have that on hand, also H1000 and Retumbo. I might need to call or email for more info.

Anyone have any experience with X-caliber Savage pre fits.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Last edited:
Dig the 270, dig the 170 EOL, XCalibure barrels are scrap iron!! I've been using 8.5 twists on all 270 cals and they are humming I personally would not run a 7 twist just to reduce jacket stress.

Dig the 270, dig the 170 EOL, XCalibure barrels are scrap iron!! I've been using 8.5 twists on all 270 cals and they are humming I personally would not run a 7 twist just to reduce jacket stress.

Thanks bigngreen!. I'm pretty close to sea level so I think I would need something close to a 1:8. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
X-caliber is the only one that offers a pre fit in something other than a 1:10.
Why do you call them scrap iron? Sorry I have zero experience with them.

Is 28" adequate to get that heavy pill moving decent in a .270 or can I get away with shorter?

Thanks bigngreen!. I'm pretty close to sea level so I think I would need something close to a 1:8. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
X-caliber is the only one that offers a pre fit in something other than a 1:10.
Why do you call them scrap iron? Sorry I have zero experience with them.

Is 28" adequate to get that heavy pill moving decent in a .270 or can I get away with shorter?

I know Pac-nor does 1:8" twist prefits, I'm sure there are others.

Not sure what you consider decent velocity but I am pushing the 175 Matrix VLD 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) out of my .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" barrel.

I know Pac-nor does 1:8" twist prefits, I'm sure there are others.

Not sure what you consider decent velocity but I am pushing the 175 Matrix VLD 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) out of my .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" barrel.

Thanks, that's pretty impressive speeds. I've read through your build thread a few times. I thought they just had barrel blanks or would chamber and fit a barrel to your action.

So I take it Pac-nor barrels are a good option?
The Savage pre-fit is just a screw on, headspace, and go shooting correct?

I've been through quite a number of XCaliber barrels and only had one I'd chamber and even it while technically in spec was not the best barrel I've seen. I returned two 375 barrels back to back that were way over size and bores flared out at the muzzle which is the last thing you want, they seem to have abandoned any quality control!!
For a prefit Pac-nor is a solid option, Southern Precision will do a prefit with a top shelf barrel as well which would be my personal option!

I've been through quite a number of XCaliber barrels and only had one I'd chamber and even it while technically in spec was not the best barrel I've seen. I returned two 375 barrels back to back that were way over size and bores flared out at the muzzle which is the last thing you want, they seem to have abandoned any quality control!!
For a prefit Pac-nor is a solid option, Southern Precision will do a prefit with a top shelf barrel as well which would be my personal option!

Ok, not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is. Looks like I'll go with Pac-nor or Southern Precision then.

So I should be ok with a 1:8 twist at 28" to abtain reasonable speeds?

An 8 twist is what is recommended for full stability any where, 1-8.5 is still just in good stability but on the edge so on a real cold day, shooting slow at sea level you may not be maxing out BC. We shoot them in 1-9's with a little elevation.

Hart will also make a 1:8 twist .27cal barrel and that is the twist I would run at your altitude. I would do at least a 26" barrel to get the best performance from the cartridge.

Hart will also make a 1:8 twist .27cal barrel and that is the twist I would run at your altitude. I would do at least a 26" barrel to get the best performance from the cartridge.

Did they started offering pre-fits? I sure hope so ...

I'm pretty close to sea level so I think I would need something close to a 1:8. (Correct me if I'm wrong) X-caliber is the only one that offers a pre fit in something other than a 1:10.

I was planning 28", unless it's not really worth the length and weight for the velocity.

I was planning 28", unless it's not really worth the length and weight for the velocity.
Yeah 28" is a good barrel length. It is not too long but you are going to get about the optimum velocity and ballistics from the 28". The 26" will be a little handier but you will lose a little. It's all personal preference. I was incorrect when I recommended Hart because they don't make a prefit barrel unfortunately. The only barrel maker I know making drop in Savage barrels with a fast twist in .270 is X-Caliber. My cousin has an X-Caliber .270 WSM barrel in 1:7.5 twist and shoots 165 Matrix and now the new 170gr Bergers. His shoots awesome and is one of the most accurate rifles I've seen. I thought the X-Caliber barrels were still good barrels but if bigngreen is right than I would do some more research and see what's up with them. You don't want to waster $400+ on a mater stake haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.