.270 Build Help-Berger 170 EOL

Thanks Jud. I would prefer the velocity over length. I could always cut it back, its kinda hard to make it longer haha. Ya I don't like maters bahaha.

Thanks Jud. I would prefer the velocity over length. I could always cut it back, its kinda hard to make it longer haha. Ya I don't like maters bahaha.
No problem man. I think you'll be happy with 28", some guys like short barrels, but it depends on what type of hunting and what you'll be doing with it. I don't mind the longer barrels, I just watch I don't hang it on too many tree limbs walking in the woods haha.

That's why I started my .270 AI with a 30" SS Lilja 1:8' 3G #6 and kept it ...

Attachments

• .270 AI.jpg
    .270 AI.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 81
No problem man. I think you'll be happy with 28", some guys like short barrels, but it depends on what type of hunting and what you'll be doing with it. I don't mind the longer barrels, I just watch I don't hang it on too many tree limbs walking in the woods haha.

I hunt with a 26" Savage BVSS fully rigged weighs 15lbs. So weight and length don't really bother me.

That's why I started my .270 AI with a 30" SS Lilja 1:8' 3G #6 and kept it ...

That's still in the cards Feenix.
The good thing about longer barrels is if something pops up closer than expected, you can just poke it hahaha

I need some expert help. I'm contemplating building a .270

What I'm thinking-
Savage 110-already have
1:7 or 1:7.5 X-Caliber pre-fit- 28", possibly 26", either bull profile or varmint. With a brake.
Stock-undecided
Bullets-Berger 170 grain EOL

I don't know why but I just love a .270. I kinda just want to build one to be different.

My question is I can't find much info on the Bergers, even on their website. I did come across a load chart on another forum, supposedly from Berger. The do list IMR7828 SSC. I have that on hand, also H1000 and Retumbo. I might need to call or email for more info.

Anyone have any experience with X-caliber Savage pre fits.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Scott,
We have load data for the .270 Winchester using our 170gr EOL bullet we can give you. Shoot us an email. [email protected]

Ok, thinking of possibly going with a 30" Pac-nor prefit, heavy Palma contour, that's .915 at the muzzle. I ran some rough numbers and I come up with roughly .3 lbs heavier.

Does anyone see that long and heavy being an issue running a nut set up?(Not really sure it's an issue or not)

A Pac-nor prefit is a drop in, set headspace with go/no go gauges and torque and recheck correct?
Sorry for all the questions, this is my first build.

I am running a 28" finished ,fluted Sendero profile with a muzzle brake (270 Wby). I have no issue with the weight or the length.

I would run a 30" Sendero profile in a heart beat...

In my 270 Win...I am running a 28" Benchmark #5 profile...

I am running a 28" finished ,fluted Sendero profile with a muzzle brake (270 Wby). I have no issue with the weight or the length.

I would run a 30" Sendero profile in a heart beat...

In my 270 Win...I am running a 28" Benchmark #5 profile...

Ok thanks. I looked up the approximate weights of those. Looks like mine might end up being 1.5-2lbs heavier. I think it will be ok (hopefully)

Ok, thinking of possibly going with a 30" Pac-nor prefit, heavy Palma contour, that's .915 at the muzzle. I ran some rough numbers and I come up with roughly .3 lbs heavier.

A 30" heavy palma (.925" at the muzzle) will put you at 6.25 lbs. Not really sure what contour you are comparing it with. My 30" Lilja #6 is 5.10 lbs in comparison without the JP Beenie Cooley MB.

Does anyone see that long and heavy being an issue running a nut set up?(Not really sure it's an issue or not)

No.

A Pac-nor prefit is a "drop in", set headspace with go/no go gauges and torque and recheck correct?

A pre-fit barrel is chambered and threaded for a particular action and ready to be head spaced. Not to be confused with a "drop in" into a particular stock ... just saying. :rolleyes:

A 30" heavy palma (.925" at the muzzle) will put you at 6.25 lbs. Not really sure what contour you are comparing it with. My 30" Lilja #6 is 5.10 lbs in comparison without the JP Beenie Cooley MB.

No.

A pre-fit barrel is chambered and threaded for a particular action and ready to be head spaced. Not to be confused with a "drop in" into a particular stock ... just saying. :rolleyes:

That's the same weight I came up with.

I was comparing a 28" vs 30" in the same contour.
Sorry, should have explained myself better and not said drop in. Dang rookies lol
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.