Barrel manufacturer choice

Coldfinger

Ok I'm narrowing down the reasonable lease time barrel manufacturers. I'm down to Shilen and Schneider as my choices to get the ball rolling on the contour I'm looking for and not be a year wait. I have had neither. Any nods or frowns on either I plan on placing order today.

Ok I'm narrowing down the reasonable lease time barrel manufacturers. I'm down to Shilen and Schneider as my choices to get the ball rolling on the contour I'm looking for and not be a year wait. I have had neither. Any nods or frowns on either I plan on placing order today.
This boils down to personal preference/intended purpose. I am never in a hurry with my builds.

I had been buying Lilja barrels for my last few. They have a 3-4 month lead time, which is much better than a year from some of the more popular makers. I've had great success with the Lilja barrels.
I have a several Lilja barrels and are extremely happy with them. They will take the time to discuss what you're looking for and find the barrel that best suits your needs. Lilja has endless contours as well.
I remember a conversation with JE Custom a few years back. He said he ordered from Lilja because they were the straightest, most uniform barrels he had ever used. As soon as he would get them, he would put them on a lathe to check. In his time as a gunsmith, he only had 1 Lilja barrel that didn't meet his standards. He called Dan and discussed the issue. He sent the barrel back and received a new barrel within a week or two.

For those of you who remember JE Custom, this is no surprise. For those of you who don't, his attention to detail far surpasses anyone I've ever known.

Last edited:
I have a several Lilja barrels and are extremely happy with them. They will take the time to discuss what you're looking for and find the barrel that best suits your needs. Lilja has endless contours as well.
I remember a conversation with JE Custom a few years back. He said he ordered from Lilja because they were the straightest, most uniform barrels he had ever used. As soon as he would get them, he would put them on a lathe to check. In his time as a gunsmith, he only had 1 Lilja barrel that didn't meet his standards. He called Dan and discussed the issue. He sent the barrel back and received a new barrel within a week or two.

For those of you who remember JE Custom, this is no surprise. For those of you who don't, his attention to detail far surpasses anyone I've ever known.
Jerry is the man and he will forever be in our hearts!