fastest barrel manufacturer

jmason

has anyone out there noted any one manufacturer producing barrels that consistently shoot fast than others?

The Broughton 5 C's we have both produce good velocity. I did a back to back comparison with a Kreiger on one of the rifles and the Broughton was faster by 50 + fps. Same length, same chrono, same powder lot and both new barrels.

Jeff

What also makes a big difference is throat lead angle. A 3/4 degree or 5/8 degree lead with flatten the pressure curve slightly and can add another 75fps generally, sometimes more.

I imagine a 3/4 degree lead and a canted land barrel would be great. A slight gain twist would also work. The extreme gain twists (such as starting at 1-50 ending at 1-10) tear conventional jackets too much but some BR shooters have had good success with ones in the range of 1-14.25 ending at 1-13.5. If your going for absolute top velocity I would look into all these things, and then coat the bullets with HBN (Hexagonal Boron Nitrate).

As you can see, someone else is thinking about a (FAST) cheytec. But right now my 6.5 Voodoo spitting 140 VLDs at 3475 into 1/3moa groups is keeping me satisfied, oh and did I mention it's mag fed :D

Hi Oliver........I have heard some say that the three groovers are also a little faster but I don't have any hard evidence. I have a 3 groove in my 6.5 Sherman and it does seem like it generates more velocity in a 26" barrel than you would think it should..Rich

If your going for absolute top velocity I would look into all these things, and then coat the bullets with HBN (Hexagonal Boron Nitrate).

As you can see, someone else is thinking about a (FAST) cheytec. But right now my 6.5 Voodoo spitting 140 VLDs at 3475 into 1/3moa groups is keeping me satisfied, oh and did I mention it's mag fed :D

Your killin me! This is already hard on time and $$. Now you want me to paint flames on the bullets too!

No gain twist here. You experiment on barrels and let me know which one works.

Ok did some more reading and seems you can't get 5C/R rifling and gain twist, yet. So I would just get a krieger or broughton 5R 36"+ then have a reamer cut with a 3/4 throat lead and absolute min spec. Then coating bullets with HBN is easy. I'd even split the reamer cost with you as I do plan on building one sometime...

Elkaholic,
Yes I've heard that too, but there isn't quite enough data to really make a factual claim (for me) and I haven't tried it so... Now, 3 grooves have also been rumored to last longer because the thicker lands take longer to wear down (I.e less of the land individually rubbing against the bullet, if that makes sense...)

Ok did some more reading and seems you can't get 5C/R rifling and gain twist, yet. So I would just get a krieger or broughton 5R 36"+ then have a reamer cut with a 3/4 throat lead and absolute min spec. Then coating bullets with HBN is easy. I'd even split the reamer cost with you as I do plan on building one sometime...

Your welcome to use my reamer buddy! However it has been ordered and can't be changed now. Without giving you all the details(not because I want to hide them, but I don't have them) the man making the reamer assured me we're "on the ragged edge":D. With that said there could be issues. I'm gonna leave the bullet paintin to you! BTW do the flames painted on them really make them faster?:D

Elkaholic,
Yes I've heard that too, but there isn't quite enough data to really make a factual claim (for me) and I haven't tried it so... Now, 3 grooves have also been rumored to last longer because the thicker lands take longer to wear down (I.e less of the land individually rubbing against the bullet, if that makes sense...)

Yes, the 3 groovers do last longer IMO. My 300 RUM had 2500 rounds through it and still shot pretty well. Also, you CAN get gain twist and 5R from Bartlein. I had one ordered last year and then changed my mind on the gainer and just went with a straight 10 twist.It shoots lights out!....Rich

Hi guys,

The 3 groove Lilja barrels, at least the one I have on my 270 AM is holding up very well after 900 or more rounds.

With Lilja's tighter bores I'd say this/these barrels are a bit slower than others.

I'm interested in the throat "thing" also. Kirby had a modified design but it seemed to wear a bit faster than "normal" in the extreme magnums.

Shawn has something interesting going with a throat design. Gaining 150 fps or so over whatever is standard in the Edge.

From have only 4 shots down the tube of a 375 AM with 350s at I suppose 3200+ I see no reason to want more speed. Travel time for the 350 - 375 bullet is pretty much identical as the 195 - 270 bullet at the same speed.

Its pretty impressive.

I'm figuring that if some one removed some trees a shot from Butler County to Westmoreland County would be doable. That's clear across Allegheny county.:D:D

I was wonderin when you'd show up Roy! I don't care about the barrel life. I wanna see how fast I can smoke em.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.