Barrel manufacturer?

Thanks Ed.
Mark Fairbairn was my supplier, had difficulty getting what I wanted from him.
David Kerr has trouble shipping to other states, his state laws are ridiculously prohibitive. $300+ to have ANY gun part shipped due to permits.:eek:
I will contact Sneddon, have dealt with him in the past.
Haven't heard of David Brewster, so I will contact him also.

Thank you greatly, you managed to find more info than I could.

You're quite welcome! I go the list off Lilja's website >>> http://riflebarrels.com/importers/

There's also a couple of importers in the NZ if that works for you.

Cheers!

Ed

maybe off topic, but what does more or less groves have on the accuracy/speed potential of certain cartridges?
currently have a bartlein 5r in 264 wm.
what would going with a 3 or 4 groove barrel do that a 5 doesn't or cant?

There is some evidence that less grooves equal more velocity, everything else equal. Also, 3 Groovers have wider lands which errode a little less. They also can be harder on bullet jackets. I'm not personally convinced that the velocity difference is significant enough to matter that much?

The number of grooves increases or decreases the friction applied to the bullet.
Interesting fact, I have custom chambered hunting rifles with 4 grooves, factory hunting rifles with 6 grooves and 4 grooves and custom comp guns with 3 or 4 grooves. Only one 5R so far.
Every one decreases in velocity in comparable barrel length as groove number increases. It takes less powder to reach the same velocities in the 3 groove barrels. It's also far easier to clean, but that may just be because the 3 groove barrels are custom cut rifled barrels.
The factory barrels are all button rifled/hammer forged as far as I am aware.

Cheers.
:confused:

Actually I think you may find its not just the number of grooves but also the surface area ratio of the grooves to bore. You can have a 4 groove with 50% groove 50% land. You can also have one with 75% groove 25% land. The latter will allow higher vel at lower pressure all else being equal. The engraving and friction force can also be effected if the lands are opposing or offsett i..e odd vs even groove/land.

Of course there are no free lunches. The larger the individual land section the longer it will last against throat erosion. But with very fast vel bullets the larger and less number of lands the harder it is on bullet jackets causing them to fly apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.