Barrel manufacturer?

Thanks everyone, looks like I will go with the 4 groove in both barrels.

My 2 30" barrels (Bartlein) are on their last set back and re-chamber, 2-3 more matches and they will be done. Getting .040" erosion now per match, barrels are toast almost.

I'm excited to try something different.

Cheers.
:)

Thanks everyone, looks like I will go with the 4 groove in both barrels.

My 2 30" barrels (Bartlein) are on their last set back and re-chamber, 2-3 more matches and they will be done. Getting .040" erosion now per match, barrels are toast almost.

I'm excited to try something different.

Cheers.
Out of curiosity, how many rounds are you getting from your 6.5x47L used for F-Class, before you begin set-back? Thanks.

Sorry Greyfox, the 2 barrels in question are in 264WM & 300WM.

The 6.5x47 barrels are at round count 1706, 1131 & 1742, these are 26", 28" & 30" respectively. I have not set them back at all as yet, and the erosion is non existent. I expect if the erosion stays the same, I will get 3000-4000 rounds without trouble.

Cheers.

Sorry Greyfox, the 2 barrels in question are in 264WM & 300WM.

The 6.5x47 barrels are at round count 1706, 1131 & 1742, these are 26", 28" & 30" respectively. I have not set them back at all as yet, and the erosion is non existent. I expect if the erosion stays the same, I will get 3000-4000 rounds without trouble.

Cheers.
Thanks! Good info. I'm at 1116 round count on my 6.5x47, 26" Kreiger with no signs of throat erosion, or change in accuracy/ES. I'd be exceptionally happy if I got 3000+ rounds on this barrel!
836EBABE-65A8-4FA7-B0CE-21369D6E3F7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm currently running Hart and Bartlein barrels in 300WM and 264WM in one rifle, and 22-250AI and 6.5x47 in another for F-Class.
My hankering for something else is biting hard, and I would like some opinions on Kreiger barrels and the groove configurations they offer.
Currently, my barrels are 3 or 4 groove with standard twist or one inch faster.
I have one 5R barrel, I don't know if I'm sold on this yet.
Kreiger offer 4 or 5R in 6.5 @ 1:8" twist, which is what I'll be using. In 30 cal they offer 4 or 5R as well and 1:10" twist, which is what I will use.
How good are Kreiger barrels, are the twists they advertise true and correct and which groove pattern do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
There are a lot of good barrel makers. My latest build was with a Bartlein. It is very easy to clean & very accurate. Also had great shooters from Shilen, Montana & Lilja.
Had a Kreiger on a 25-06 Ackley Improved & it shot alright but customer service was terrible. From my experiences it will be hard to get me to leave Bartlein.
Thanks, Kirk

There are a lot of good barrel makers. My latest build was with a Bartlein. It is very easy to clean & very accurate. Also had great shooters from Shilen, Montana & Lilja.
Had a Kreiger on a 25-06 Ackley Improved & it shot alright but customer service was terrible. From my experiences it will be hard to get me to leave Bartlein.
Thanks, Kirk
Great info. Thanks.
My main problem being in Australia is availability and supply.
Not all barrel makers are willing to go through permits and red tape.

I love my Bartleins and Harts, but I'm hearing great things about Kreiger and would like to try one, if it shoots, I may change one cal to all 3, as I use different barrel lengths for different conditions here.
Obviously I don't change out a barrel midway through a match, too much ammo needed to take to do that. Lol.

My only other barrels I have worked with are Lilja and Maddco, an Australian company that only offers button rifling. Great barrels but not in 3 or 4 groove configuration, only 6. Lilja are hard to get here now.

Cheers.

Have you looked at the Schultz and Larsen barrels? Gone Hunting in Australia import the S&L rifles but few people realize that Schultz and Larsen also make and will supply cut rifled barrel blanks in various calibres. Some of the top European shooters are using S&L barrels with very good results. Just another option for you to consider.

Have you looked at the Schultz and Larsen barrels? Gone Hunting in Australia import the S&L rifles but few people realize that Schultz and Larsen also make and will supply cut rifled barrel blanks in various calibres. Some of the top European shooters are using S&L barrels with very good results. Just another option for you to consider.
Thanks kiwi, I will look into that too.

Cheers.

Nathan Foster @ Terminal Ballistics Research has pretty good things to say about Tru Flite barrels. They're made in New Zealand. That should be easy to obtain shouldn't it?

FYSA, here's a list of importers of Lilja barrels just in case you need it for future reference.

vVsZDbZ.png

Cheers!

Ed
Thanks Ed.
Mark Fairbairn was my supplier, had difficulty getting what I wanted from him.
David Kerr has trouble shipping to other states, his state laws are ridiculously prohibitive. $300+ to have ANY gun part shipped due to permits.:eek:
I will contact Sneddon, have dealt with him in the past.
Haven't heard of David Brewster, so I will contact him also.

Thank you greatly, you managed to find more info than I could.

Interesting video from John Kreiger at SHOT last year, every point regarding barrels was directly in tune with what I say, break in on cut rifle barrels is NOT needed, clean when the barrel tells you it's needed and only break up carbon deposits between matches. USE ammonia based cleaners for copper, but only clean copper when accuracy stays bad.
He also said that a good barrel will stay good for a few hundred rounds, which is my experience.

I really want to try a Kreiger, I watched the video on how they cut their barrels, CNC machining has made it very precise.

Thanks all.

Cheers.

Thanks Rich, that's the sort of evidence I'm looking for.
I absolutely CANNOT fault either Bartlein or Hart, they are tremendously good, just want to try something new that may just get me better agg's.
At the moment here, top places are being held with Lilja and Kreiger barrels. The Kreigers are inching out the competition....you know, the grass is always greener!
I'm due for new barrels soon anyway.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.