Are lotterys fair to hunters???

jt77

In the State I live for black bear you have to get picked from the lottery to get a kill tag.I have read in different hunting magizines that Wis.has a healthy bear pop. but the avarage wait time is 6 - 9 years!.I think the DNR should let the hunters buy the tag OTC like for deer if their worryed about killing off all the bears just realese a limeted # of permits to stores.

I know I dont like how they draw for elk hunts here in KY, I have been putting in every year since the opened the season and never have drawn a tag, but I know of a few people that have drew multiple times.

Fair as compared to what? Land owner tags, commissioner auction tags, weighted point system accruing points so slowly its cheaper to buy one of the previously mentioned tags! Or my personal favorite selling tags in areas which have sustained so much predation, and winter kill the season should be closed. Not a lot of fair out there, Like I used to tell my kids the fair is first week of September, go and enjoy it cause fair won't happen again until next September.

Would it be better if they just let you buy the tags over the counter? just a limeted # that to me is the BETTER WAY.

Lotteries are not fair. But then again, life isn't fair.

But the big advantage of the lottery is that it gives equal opportunity to everyone. It allows us broke guys to get the same tag as everyone else.

Nevada has had the lottery system since circa 1974 and it works (if you listen to game experts). It took me 19 years to get an elk tag....my last deer tag was 2008. I can usually count on going deer hunting every three years at this pace. I'll never get another elk tag in Nevada.....father time is against that. Is the lottery fair? Maybe.
I've seen way to many "influential" folks get tags year after year. My $.02 worth.

Nevada has had the lottery system since circa 1974 and it works (if you listen to game experts). It took me 19 years to get an elk tag....my last deer tag was 2008. I can usually count on going deer hunting every three years at this pace. I'll never get another elk tag in Nevada.....father time is against that. Is the lottery fair? Maybe.
I've seen way to many "influential" folks get tags year after year. My $.02 worth.

6 to 9 year wait for a black bear tag seems like nothing to 19 years! but you killed a better tasting animal!.

Given there is more demand than opportunity how it gets divided up will always be controversial. It comes down to preference, I don't like the foot race of "over the counter" tags being sold out by 0001 January 1. I think Nevada, and Wyoming come closest to "fair". Pure lottery gets interesting when you see some of the higher profile folks repeatedly being drawn, and lower cost entries can entice the anti's to pull a couple of tags from circulation. Oregon really short changes the non-resident, low per-centage of tags, drawn from those that have maximum points makes for long waits. Since becoming "wildlife" departments most states have minimized predator tags to the point their goal of minimizing folks in the field is in reach.

A fair lottery is great. But as was stated before " the fair comes one week every fall " . Sure is odd how all those political VIP's get drawn year after year. As I was told about voting. It's not how you vote that counts , but how your vote is counted.

In my personal opinion, lotteries are only fair if you win. I'm all about pay to play, that is much more fair and levels the playing field.

In my personal opinion, lotteries are only fair if you win. I'm all about pay to play, that is much more fair and levels the playing field.

So , you're saying they should be auctioned off to the highest bidder? It would be ok that only a few rich guys could afford to hunt?

So , you're saying they should be auctioned off to the highest bidder? It would be ok that only a few rich guys could afford to hunt?

Exactly. I don't need fair I want equal. I want the same chance everyone else has. I don't want it determined based on whe deserves it more, or can afford it more.

Any and all lotteries are initially instituted to make it fair across the board for all entrants. The problem arises when you dial in the human factor. Humans, by their very nature art biased (as proven on this site, every day, why I'm all about pay tp play.

If you have the cash, make the dash. If not, stay home.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.