Anybody Else Ever Get Caught Up In a Dust Devil?

DoneNOut

I gotta say, that thing hurt something fierce! Buddy and I were having a swim in the tank (TX for pond) to cool off after a good day's canyon bust in 100 F temps. Blue bird day and the libations were free flowing. As we're talking about things guys talk about on a hunt, which might be even lower class than high school locker room sophomoric conversations, a daggum dust devil came across us and ate us up alive! I had no clue at first what was happening. The dirt and the rocks pelted me so bad I dove under water to get away from the pain. My cowboy hat was blown hundreds of wards away. It only last 5 seconds, but I've been tased for 5 seconds and I'm telling you under pain that seems like from Stonehenge days till now!
Well, here's how things were going jut seconds to that experience!
30BD0429-C155-4D69-8F3D-F1E39FDF1417.jpeg

I gotta say, that thing hurt something fierce! Buddy and I were having a swim in the tank (TX for pond) to cool off after a good day's canyon bust in 100 F temps. Blue bird day and the libations were free flowing. As we're talking about things guys talk about on a hunt, which might be even lower class than high school locker room sophomoric conversations, a daggum dust devil came across us and ate us up alive! I had no clue at first what was happening. The dirt and the rocks pelted me so bad I dove under water to get away from the pain. My cowboy hat was blown hundreds of wards away. It only last 5 seconds, but I've been tased for 5 seconds and I'm telling you under pain that seems like from Stonehenge days till now!
Well, here's how things were going jut seconds to that experience!
View attachment 329655
Is that brokeback pond?

I was sitting in a GP medium in ft Irwin California one time with about 40 of my fellow victims of the neighborhood recruiters, when one hit the tent and ripped it out of the ground. We all went flying. We were in the middle of a game of spades and our table ended up coming to rest about 100y away.

No experience with dust devils, but got hit by a water spout fishing in the Gulf one time. A couple of very expensive rigs are now somewhere off the coast of Florida. Also was hunting in Cotulla, TX when a dust storm came in. It looked like something out of the movies. We took cover in the truck. It seems that everything in that part of TX will either stick you, cut you, or sting you. Would not want to be outside with all of that stuff blowing around.

If you want to see the Dust Devil capital go to Pecos Texas in August. Find a High spot and look around you will see multiple at once some of them will be huge and pretty intimidating if they get close.

My daughter had their kids wooden playset get picked up, spun around, and slammed down into a thousand pieces by a angry dusk devil.