Anybody ever build a homemade gun safe

redbank

I thought I could build one in a corner of my basement. Just box it in with solid concrete, sort of a walk in closet for a real man! Would have to find a good door and figure out a good way to top it off.
Just a hair brain idea maybe?
Any thoughts or experience?

ive built a few before. The easy way to do it is buy a safe door build the room and install the door.

the cheapest way build a room out of block pour in mix and rebar with the roof being part of the pour same way as if you buy the door. sheet rock the out side and put in a plain old door that matches the rest of the ones in your house. when you open the out side door there a steel one next. i can get more into it if you like.

Redbank

I came across an old control/electrial box out of a refinery, It had a locking door and was made out of 10 ga. steel. Your room would work great if you find a good door.

Even a halfA$$ safe is better than none.
CAM

In the 70's I built a combo reloading room, shelter and gun safe room into a below ground basement corner. Heavyweight blocks, vertical re-bars into a new footing, horizontal mesh wire, filled cores, poured ceiling. Basic rectangular shape with a similar guard wall on left side with a second door door 90 degrees to first. Hardened drill rods for internal hinge pins, 1" etc; this is the tough way to go. You will need a milling machine and Buzz Box welder. Browning makes a safe door unit for building into new construction. Easy and simple and works first time. When you build yours, ABSOLUTELY get/ build in integral de-humidification with automatic drain and some (electric ) heat, unless of course you like rusty firearms. Overbore

Door problem is easy--slow brain wave-yesterday to today to arrive---McMaster-Carr and many other folks, sell steel fireproof doors for budget considerations. If you can design your entrace, have the door so that it opens outward-OUTWARD-- so that a "smash in" can not happen and you can get out easier. If you do the second door feature, it opens inward so that you can block forced entry from inside. Overbore

Before using solid concrete. Check with Lowes and HD. there styrofoam blocks that snap apart and fit together where you just pour concrete into them. glue firring strips to outside and sheetrock it. Put the safe door on it.

new type blocks that they are using to build complete homes with now. They are about 10-12" high by 24" long and have about 6" gap when opened.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.