Allen Mag Shooters Group

. A 7 RUM puts lil craters in it, a 169 from a AM blows holes through 1/2" steel at 500.

I was amazed at the damages those 169s from my 270AM do to my gong. Never seen anything like it. I just wonder what those 265 wildcats (when they become available) from a my 338AM (when it becomes available) are going to do to it.

Eddybo,

you know we aint got no deer that big!

I must build a hangin gong today! I have plates just gotta build it, the ram sits on the ground on a renforced frame. Hopefully gong style will do better!

Looks like another crappy weekend weather wise up here may just have to hunt! Wish I had that AA-8700 you offered! So I could load a proper size bullet for these close deer. Shot one 289 yards high shoulder dropped him but no need at all for a 169 at that range.

Hey guys, any data on the 8700 pwder and 150s or 169s?

I'm shooting 150 Ballistic Tips ahead of 101 gr US 869 for 3500. well under half of Kirby's accuracy spec at 650yds. It's my yote load until I get restocked with the new 195s. A 1k yote shot are few and far between and the wind blows or does it suck up here.;)

Roy,

Kirby test fired my gun with 102 grs AA-8700 behind a 140 Accubond. I think it says .383 group but was a very windy day. He also said 105 was too hot!

Hope that might help, he said 95 gr starting point.

Nyles I got a pound of that 8700 I could send back to Jackson with AdamLeeif he is down this way this weekend. I am not sure that he will be because they have a new addition to the family.

I would go out and try it in mine, but I promised myself that the next round through my 270AM is gonna be at a long range whitetail. I am heading to VA in a few days to get that done.

Roy you mean you got the PM I sent or you talked to him?

Eddybo why you not killed with yours yet? I got mine on a fri and a kill on sat? If you send it with him let me know Ill have to go to Jax to get some anyway! Thanks!

Roy what kinda skinny you got on 869 with a 140? If its ok Ill try it, really need a Lighter bullet for these close ups!

What I got happy with...

169.5 in front of 97.5 gr US-869...OAL with the ogive gauge 4.000...the group I aint lying I do have the target along with three groups working to this....HOW's .2600000 sound? I was a happy camper!

I like they way I shot for this group...I got some Budwiser targets with a 3" center circle target but has 4 1" around the outside....first group almost 2"...second around 1" next got down to .650...and the last well you know. I quit shooting and started loadin! I kept seating .015 longer and the groups got 1/2 size smaller than the last as I went.

Average fps is 3150 average spread 15, overall spread 31. I have no idea if thats good or bad but what the chrony said?

So buzzed you had to post it twice. Ain't that called braggin'?:D

This will really erk you. If you'da shot that group at 300 yds it wooda went about half of that 0.26;)

Also, what if a Allen Mag Shooter Group focused on the 270 AM were started? Justa tho't....

Kirby certainly builds a fine rifle. You need to get you a hard case and about three or four antelope permits and hit the road this fall to a place where you can really stretch the rifle out.

What I want to know is, was there any meat left on the deer after you picked up the mangled remains?:eek:

ok Roy! The powder kirby used continues to evade me so had to use this stuff....and I admit I shot 12 3 shot groups today(prone with a bag, I aint used to that). Also I added in that fact that a 169 aint the bullet for 300 yard deer. tried to work two bullets at the same time not a good idea.

I also figured out that with my shorty barrelo thats about it or blow primer pockets out second shot. Them Texas guys still say iTs TOO HOT! And just for you its goin 500 and a K tommorrow! But after seeing what it wanted man felt good to turn the die dail and watch it get tighter!!!!!!!

If we started or own lil 270AM group we'd be the talk of the town!!

Got dark on me when i WAS WORKIN ON THE 140 ab LOAD SO i GAVE IT UP i really got something to play with in the 169. Im picky about my 100 yard groups. Then play with the long stuff......this is the load just gotta stretch it out.

Whats MOA for 300? Ill get under .5"' with this load no dought!

BB,

Believe it or not I really had to search where I hit him had a .277 entry hole and exit about size of a dime 279 is to close for those 169 wildcats! But it did flip him over and turn him around when it hit him!

MS bucks is in trouble!

Nyles,

I always caution my 270 AM customers to not confuse small exit wounds with poor bullet performance concerning the 270 AM and the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT.

What you will see in game will range from what you saw to gaping exit wounds. First big game animal taken with the 270 AM was an exotic sheep my Dad shot at 73 yards in heavy cover with my very first 270 AM test rifle. This was with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3255 fps, a pretty comfortable load but extremely accurate.

The bullet hit the 120 lb ram just behind the shoulder on a perfect broadside shot as the ram walked out of the thick brush across a pond ****(about the only place we could see them long enough to get a shot). The ram simply folded up, no twitching of any kind, just fell on its nose like it was pole axed. I was figuring we would see a massive exit wound on the ram when we got up to it, quite the opposite in fact, there was a perfectly round exit wound that was about the size of a quarter.

I was amazed, certainly the bullet had to have had its HP plugged by the thick hair of the ram and it acted like a FMJ.

THen I thought, how in the hell would that cause the ram to drop on its nose? I jsut had to know so we took the ram back to the ranch house and opened him up, there was really nothing left intact ahead of the diaphram. In fact he was hit so hard that the liver and paunch was also split by the hydrostatic shock generated by that bullet.

These bullets are made with heavier then normal jackets which is the reason you probably saw what appeared to be a non expanded bullet. I assure you though, the bullet expanded as these jackets are tapered from nose to base. YOu generally just see terminal characteristics more like a premium bullet then a conventional cup jacketed bullet.

This is due to the heavier jacket and high sectional density of the bullet.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have seen deer shot with my 270 AM that when hit in certain areas, like large bone, litterally blow huge exit holes in the game. THe reason is more because of the extreme energy dump causing the bullets to cause secondary damage which is what results in the large exit wounds.

Simply put, I would recommend sticking with the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. It will make that big case run much more efficently and there is no comparision down range terminally. The 140 gr AB can be made to work well but I generally only recommend this bullet is the 169.5 gr will not shoot in a specific rifle. It is not common but it does happen from time to time, never will you get a barrel that likes ALL bullets and at times you get certain barrels that do not like a specific bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

He did take a heck of a thump like I said it turned him completly around and threw his feet up in the air on impact! Looked like someone grabbed him and did super power body slam on him! I didnt open him up because it started raining about the time I got him in the truck...next one Ill do full autopsy(??).

I do however remember noticing how everything between his shoulders looked like a big bruise(both sides of chest cavity) but absolutely no meat damage...musta been a perfect high shoulder shot!!

Did you see Roy pokin fun at my .260000 group? I figured less than the size of the bullet CTC with 3 shots was pretty darn good!

Talked with Lerch a few mins ago and our loads speed wise are right on, he's getting 3200 out of 98 grs and Im at 3150 with 97.5 US-869. Good comparison since both are 27"'s.

Going long tommorrow 300 500 and you know it 1K!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.