Advice needed for my hunting and shooting..

RKW68

I will be the first to admit that I am new to shooting beyond 200 yds. I am a bow hunter by nature but would like to experiment with shooting out to say 600-700 yds. So I am looking for the proper setup. It needs to be a rifle/scope combo that will work in the woods and for leisure shooting at those distances. I have been looking at the Remington 700 5R rifles with a 24" or 20" barrel and the Tikka TCR. Either in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor. I really need advice in optics for lower light situations. I like the NF NSX 2.5X10X42 and the 3.5X15X50. All advice and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

I opted for the 2.5-10x42 compact in an attempt to keep my rifle weight down. I haven't shot out to 6-700 but have successfully taken several deer out to 350 without issue. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, I just happened to get a sweet deal at the time.

Last edited:
I don't think you can beat eather scope choice. I would choose the 15 power. It will help more for the longer shooting that you want to do. Lots of rifle and cartridge choices.

Steve

I have 2 of the NF 2.5-10 and love them. 10 power is just fine out to 1,000 yards and the scope is much more compact that the bigger models. No need to fool with parallax is also handy and saves time in those critical hunting situations.

I can't say enough good about the VX-6 Leupold's. I have both the 3-18x50 and 4-24x52's on five different rifles now and I'll probably eventually replace all of my other scopes with them.

I have 2 of the NF 2.5-10 and love them. 10 power is just fine out to 1,000 yards and the scope is much more compact that the bigger models. No need to fool with parallax is also handy and saves time in those critical hunting situations.
How is the light gathering in the NF with the 42 MM objective in comparison the like a Leupold VX 3 50 mm ?

I actually have 2 of the 32 mm and find them to be very adequate. Also have the lighted reticle available which can be very useful. Used it to my advantage a couple of times.

The NXS 3.5-15x50 is one of my favorite scopes for the range you looking to shoot. The 2.5-10x42 is a very fine scope as well. I live in open country and ended up selling mine because I preferred having a little more power. But for woods up close hunting, its **** hard scope to beat. I own a couple of ATACR 4-16x42's. I have never experienced any problems with light gathering.

I dont have personnel experience with a Tikka rifles, but from what I have read, you cant go wrong with one in 6.5 creedmoor.

595CBDD8-AC90-4BD4-82DB-102C47555FCE.jpeg
I have a milspec in 308, great shooting gun but recently bought a sako a7 range in 6.5cm and topped it with a vx3 lrp 6.5-20 with impact reticle. Super happy with the gun scope combo. So far it's shot everything, 3 different kinds of factory ammo and load development sub Moa. This is a pic of my gong at 500yds with 130eldm and very little load development.
With the impact reticle holdovers are very easy. I put on a 20moa rail and have shot it to 1k with good effect.
I was able to adjust the trigger to a crisp 1.75lb pull and the stock is comfortable for lr shooting while being sufficiently stiff enough to retain free float of barrel. That was a concern of mine when I was comparing the ctr to the a7 and milspec

Last edited:
I also have a 5R Milspec...Actually 2 of them... A 24" .308 Win, and a 26" .300WM. Trigger swaps on both, made sure the barrels were fully-floating, and torqued the action screws to 65 inch-pounds. That's it. No other work was necessary.

I bought the the .308 Win new back in 2010, and will shoot under 1/4-MOA with handloads. The .300WM I bought new in 2014, and still have never fired it.

As for optics, almost all of my LR rigs have Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD scopes sitting in Seekins Precision low rings, sitting on EGW 20MOA bases.

https://swfa.com/vortex-6-24x50-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html

I do have several other brands of scopes, and another good one is the SWFA SS 3-15x42 with their MilQuad reticle. I prefer SFP scopes, so both of mine are the SFP model, but they stopped selling them sometime last year, and now they only offer it in FFP.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

If money is not an issue, and you want a really good low-light scope, the Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 is a great one. I have this scope on my main lightweight deer rig. The glass is simply amazing.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...cope-35-10x-50mm-illuminated-4d-reticle-matte

Its been discontinued, but you might can find one somewhere. If you do, they're very lightweight and the glass is as top-tier as an other German/Austrian glass you'll find.

I recently picked up a Vortex Razor HDLH 3-15. This is Vortex's best glass and I have to say, it really amazed me. Certainly better than any VX3 Leupy, and as far as light gathering, it is right up there with my NF ATACR. I was able to see animals well enough to shoot beyond where I could not make them out with Leica HDB 10x binoculars. I also shot it out to 800 yds and found the magnification to be just fine at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts