Shooting problems, need advice

I agree with everything that has been said. Shooting is an art of consistency. If you can do it exactly the same every time, then your shot placement will show consistency. Even if you are doing it wrong. With that said, good form will help matters out.

Some guys shoot very well with strong grip hard pull into the shoulder and strong pressure on the fore end. If you are going to shoot this way in order to control the recoil it has to be done in a way that you are not putting torque on the rifle. In other words the pressure needs to be in line with the shot.

I don't shoot as well like this, more so the longer the range gets. I am a free recoil guy. Thus I finally got a break because I got tired of getting hit with the scope hunting and shooting from odd positions. I have always been able to shoot off a bag or backpack or something of that nature. I try the bipod every now and then thinking that it might be more convenient or better. I always wind up taking it off.

My method is to lay the gun on whatever I am going to shoot off of. Lets say sand bags in the front and a sand bag in the back. Get the rifle lined up on the target, left and right, as well as up and down. Ideally gun lined up without me touching it. Definitely left and right. Then I get behind the gun setting my shoulder up to the but of the rifle, strong with your body but not pulling rifle into my shoulder. Trigger hand is light on the gun. Thumb over the top and bottom three fingers just touching the grip with the tips. Trigger finger touching the trigger with just the center of the finger tip pad. The other hand comes under and squeezes the rear bag to adjust elevation. Breath easy. Don't hold your breath while you aim. Keep your lungs 3/4 to 1/2 full and just let your breath fall out. If you get down on breath take another. Work your trigger while your breath is falling out. If you stop breathing while you shoot you get oxygen debt and are not steady. Now let the site float. You can not time the shot to the cross hair passing through the spot. Let it float and slowly add pressure to the trigger until it goes off. You should be surprised by it breaking.

One other thing, add a scope level.

Steve

Sounds like a grip and natural point of aim issue. I was having problems shooting horizontal strings that were in a straight line and found it was my grip. Changed that up and fixed my problem. I would only have the problem with heavy recoiling guns and thought I couldn't handle the recoil but it was just the grip lightbulb

jrock, in what way did you change your grip ? lighter or heavier or something else? I have a suspicion that it is my form of some sort. the last time I shot there was one time the gun landed srtraight back down but don't know what I did different. maybe im expecting too much too fast. not looking to shoot distances that some of you guys on here shoot. but would like to feel confident out to 300yds. I just figure if I apply the same principals that you really long range guys do it could help. from the responses it seems like guys do it different like was said and come up with same results using consistency. I need to figure out what works for me and practice. at times I can shoot pretty decent groups so I think the gun is ok for factory gun. usually I can shoot 3 good out of 5 but some times it like every other shot is back tight with the other ones with flyers in between.

The way RockyMtnMt and EXPRESS are describing with thumb on top or just to the right (RH) and light back pressure (about 5 lbs or less) with fingers pulling straight back. You can check your pressures and directions by closing your eyes and opening them again in a few seconds to see if you have moved. Any pressure applied has to be straight back.

Rilo why don't you do us a favor. Take some pictures of your rifle and post them. Also look closely at how it is stamped or look at Rem's website and see if you can find us a link to exactly what rifle you have.

How much previous experience do you have in shooting? Where did it come from and what were you shooting?

No insult intended but you sound like a novice shooter (which all of us were at one time) and if that's the case it's a big learning curve.

I'll tell you this for sure though, 300yds is a chip shot once you get the basics down so achieving your goal is certainly very doable.

Remington 700 BDL I think, has wood stock and drop floor plate, Nikon pro staff 5 2.5-10x40, shooting hornady 165gr superformance sst

Remington 700 BDL I think, has wood stock and drop floor plate, Nikon pro staff 5 2.5-10x40, shooting hornady 165gr superformance sst
That explains a lot, thanks. With the sporter weight barrel and stock you're going to have a considerable "hop" when you shoot it no matter how much you fight it and in fact I've found shooting them off of a bipod will tend to increase the hop.

As someone suggest above you might do better with "free recoil" and shooting off of bags.

When you pull the trigger there is a whole lot of energy being released including a downward whip on the barrel. It then springs back upward because there's no shock absorbers built into the bipod. Shooting off of bags reduces that a good bit and simply going with the recoil rather than fighting it will allow it to slide more straight back with less of a hop.

You may very well also be leaning into it an extra bit in anticipation of the recoil which will tend to make your rounds go high and left.

Try relaxing a good bit and just "go with it" and see how that works out for you.

Wild rose , don't know how to post pics, you are correct I am new to this. Have been hunting for long time, mainly deer with shotguns and muzzle loaders with just about all shooting under 100 yds. Which is why I stated maybe I'm expecting too much too fast and just need to find out what works for me and keep practicing. Appreciate all advice given. Going to try different advice and see what happens.

You might also see if the stock has the barrel support pads about an inch back from the end of the forearm. Sometimes you can see them, otherwise use a $1 bill or a store receipt to slide between the barrel and stock to see if it stops there.

If so, when you lean into the bipod you will remove some, but probably not all, of the pressure those pads are putting on the barrel. In reality you just can't apply the same amount of pressure each time, so the barrel experiences a different amount of support with each shot. This will cause a lot of inconsistency in shot placement.

You may need to bed the action and float the barrel if you want to continue using a bipod. In the short term, try the bag method both under the butt of the rifle as well as under the forearm. Also, keep the forearm bag far enough back that the sling post doesn't hit the bags during recoil.

Happy shooting!

Wild rose , don't know how to post pics, you are correct I am new to this. Have been hunting for long time, mainly deer with shotguns and muzzle loaders with just about all shooting under 100 yds. Which is why I stated maybe I'm expecting too much too fast and just need to find out what works for me and keep practicing. Appreciate all advice given. Going to try different advice and see what happens.
Precision rifle shooting is a completely different game.

Honestly one of the best things you could do is buy another rifle in a light recoiling caliber, even a nice .22LR or one of the center fire .22's or 6.5's to build your skill set with.

What you're most likely to accomplish with what you have is a whole lot of frustration and bruised shoulder which will result in even more problems developing such as a flinch.

While you are working on that your BDL needs to be accurized with a good bedding job and ensuring the barrel is free floated as Doc V is pointing to.

It does have the barrel support at end of forearm. What are your guys thoughts on trigger weight. It varys from 4 to 5 1/2 lbs pull. Sometimes when I shoot I'm starting to squeeze and it seems like it's taking forever so I have to start over , other times not so bad, but it seem like it take my concentration off the target

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.