Shooting problems, need advice

Rilow

Hi guys, new to forum.trying to get gun and myself ready for upcoming hunt , but having a few problems in my shooting. I'm shooting rem 700 30-06. One of my problems is when I shoots rifle always jumps to left and lands off target, would like to correct this and also was wandering how this much this could be affecting my accuracy. Appreciate any help

How are you shooting the rifle? Off sand bags prone, etc. I am guessing no break on the rifle? With no break I am not sure that you will be able to spot your shots.

Anyway, give a little more detail about your shooting and what you want it to be.

Steve

I'm shooting prone off bipod and bag under rear and shooting on dirt in field. I've read that after recoil target should fall back into view through scope but it always jump to left quite a bit. It does it even when shots are pretty good. Right now my 200yd groups are the size of my fist with some flyers here and there. I've only shot 300 yds a few times and three of 5 grouped 3in with the other 2 on the edge of 9in plate , all five shots grouped about 5 1/2 in. I'd like to tighten it up to the size of my fist at 300yds and be more consistent . My son did video me shooting with his phone and it look like after I pulled trigger I opened my hand up

A couple things to try.

#1 - check your natural point of aim. When you're behind the rifle, get lined up so the crosshair is on target. Close your eyes and go through 2 or 3 breathing cylcles, then open your eyes. Are the crosshairs still on target? If not, move your body and the rifle as one unit until it's lined up and repeat the test.

#2 - get more straight behind the rifle.

#3 - load the bipod

Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBuYmnpg38

Buy some steel targets and a 22 and practice practice practice. Magpul has a long range shooting video series the Art of the Rifle it's very good

Some good advice above but let me add.

My bet is that you are not leaning into (loading the bipod) and you have your body twisted off at an angle instead of laying directly behind it.

If you are gripping it too tightly with your shooting had you are also going to add torque in addition to the natural torsion that occurs due to the spin induced on the bullet by the riflings.

Gentle grip light finger and only use the last digit. If you dig too deep with your trigger finger you will also induce torque.

Thanks guys, this gives me some things to try. I have been loading the bipod, I think I'm pretty straight behind gun. One think not sure how tight or loose to hold gun with trigger hand and how tight to pull into shoulder , with gun jumping to left make me naturally think I should hold it tighter as it feel like it jump out of control if that makes sense. Do most guys use same grip with heavier recoil as a low recoil gun.

That's all sound advice.

My method to check if my shooting hand grip is straight and not too firm is to get into position with the crosshairs on the target, with no discernable grip on the stock. Then I squeeze, harder and harder until it's very tight. If the rifle doesn't move, I know I'm set up well and my trigger hand position is good.

Then I relax and fire the shot at my customary grip, which is like I might do when shaking a ladys' hand, a "gentle" firm, but not tight or strong.

Thanks guys, this gives me some things to try. I have been loading the bipod, I think I'm pretty straight behind gun. One think not sure how tight or loose to hold gun with trigger hand and how tight to pull into shoulder , with gun jumping to left make me naturally think I should hold it tighter as it feel like it jump out of control if that makes sense. Do most guys use same grip with heavier recoil as a low recoil gun.
I can't speak for everyone but in general I'd say that you will find the best shooters being extremely consistent with all of their fundamentals no matter what caliber they are shooting.

If you are shooting a sporter weight or lighter rifle no matter what you do it's going to have some hop to it which is the biggest reason so many of us went to muzzle brakes years ago.

One more thing. We don't know what you are shooting. If it has a cheap plastic factory stock or even a wood stock and you are leaning in hard on the bipod you can very easily be flexing the stock like a bow and when it goes off all that energy is going to be released adding to the "hop".

There are ways to stiffen one up but most of us would just going with a higher quality stock. If you think this could be your problem and you don't really have the budget to put a good custom on it say so and let me know exactly what stock you have and maybe I can help you stiffen it up quite a bit for just a few dollars.

If you aren't sure exactly what you have, pictures always help.

I think remember right the rifle weighed 9-10 lbs . it is a Remington 700 30-06 with wood stock, its a new gun with the mark pro or something adjustable trigger which is another issue that I tried to adjust pull weight down and at lowest is 4lbs sometimes and other times it might be 5lbs, more 5lbs than 4,sometime might go 5 1/2lbs, seem very inconsistent. didn't know if cleaning trigger assembly and lube would help that. even with adjustment screw out it wont go lower. thank you guys for advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.